Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Okay then,

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote: Murrays issues may stem from his backrow being in Italian pockets
Fair comment Russ.
1st of the season
Yeah I know but thought I'd compliment/acknowledge you, given the other stuff. I'm just like that, so fair I could be English :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Okay then, "The Phoney War"

Post by Jackie Brown »

I would love to see Fitzwasteofspace up against France at 12.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: I've never seen much point in playing in an event you can't win, the main reason I've never bother entering the Belfast Marathon.
Lack of belief Baggy. To the brave and faithful nothing is impossible. If you want to be an honorary Munsterman you will need to accept this truth. :D
BaggyTrousers wrote: In a good year we can be champions of all of Europe :cheers: , especially in these days of shared championships being handed farcically to a team with the best points difference when teams play different numbers of home and away games. Then you get boys like Snipe saying we've "won" the last two, rather than shared, in one season with two other teams and the other with one.
Times change Baggy. There was a time when a try only gave you the opportunity of a kick at goal, only gave you 4 points and now it is 5 as we know. So we could trawl back in time and revise many of the championships but we don't because we compete under the rules as set down and right now, rightly or wrongly, that means having an outright winner. Though that does not mean I am unaware that the reasons for this are because the sponsorship orgs enjoy an explosive climax as much as most of us do.... :D
BaggyTrousers wrote: Yesterday was just awful, lucky O'Mahony, who I would have dropped to play Hendo at 6 :duh: , was there not just for his tackle but for being a one man backrow when yet again Heaslip appeared in awe of Parisse and Christ knows what Seannie was thinking about, probably cattle or rolling acres of sward, certainly not rugby, strolling around there being bested at every cut and turn. Fair dues to POM, I'll even forgive his stupid moment and send him my apologies for wanting to dump him.
Oh ye of little faith. 2 years ago I said POM was our best back row forward and a future Ireland Captain. Nothing has changed in that time to make me even consider changing that view. Hendo has come on the scene and he is potentially excellent. He still drifts in and out of games and did so yesterday. Even with that he was one of our top 3 players such was his impact when he drifted in. That's not an attack on Hendo. I said he is understandably not the finished article yet earlier this year and he quite obviously isn't but I expect him to get there with more games......same as POM really when he burst on the scene.
BaggyTrousers wrote: Henshaw and Keet looked like strangers by and large so Payne better be fit or Christ knows we might get and eighth centre pairing in 8 games, Keet and Fitzgerald sounds brill. :duh:
Indeed. I raised my concern before the RWC about Earls in the centre. My opinion has hardened more that he is not up to it at this level. He is a fabulous winger. A supreme finisher as his RWC try record shows but he is more than just that. I really do think that he along with Trimble and Bowe(at his best) are the best wingers we have and by a bit of a distance.
BaggyTrousers wrote: Signs of Sexton getting his game together but a bad one from Conor Murray, hopefully he'll be back to normal.
Murray was poor. Not helped by our forwards lack of even parity but some of his decision making was as bad as I've seen from him. Thing is we know he is a good player. He can turn it around in one game. Sexton impacted too by 1-9 but want to see more from him. Again we know he can do it. I do worry about his goalkicking though. At the crucial moment you cannot be confident with him. We may need to start thinking outside the box here - If we have a goalkick, maybe get POM to give Sexton a dig in the head so that Madigan has to come on to take the kick and then quickly switch back. Could we get away with doing this 6 or more times in a game? POM says it is no issue for him. :D
BaggyTrousers wrote: The sad thing off the back of a poor game like that, there are almost no changes to even consider, Toner for Hendo possible but I doubt it, Henry for SOB not one I'd make for France, Bowe is and always has been a cert despite many doubting it, it fits FibberBall not just the likely, but only only way we can compete against bigger teams.
I'll be surprised if Toner is not starting v France. Our maul is a joke and he adds to that as well as his lineout work. Think Hendo will end up on the bench. I would select Henry. There's only so many times SOB can show us he is not the player he was. Bench him and you anger him. We may get the benefit of that. Plus I think Henry is class. Top 4 Ulster player IMO.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:I would love to see Fitzwasteofspace up against France at 12.
That will surely cause 2 of our backrow, our 10 and 13 to get injured covering for his absence
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: I've never seen much point in playing in an event you can't win, the main reason I've never bother entering the Belfast Marathon.
Lack of belief Baggy. To the brave and faithful nothing is impossible. If you want to be an honorary Munsterman you will need to accept this truth. :D
BaggyTrousers wrote: In a good year we can be champions of all of Europe :cheers: , especially in these days of shared championships being handed farcically to a team with the best points difference when teams play different numbers of home and away games. Then you get boys like Snipe saying we've "won" the last two, rather than shared, in one season with two other teams and the other with one.
Times change Baggy. There was a time when a try only gave you the opportunity of a kick at goal, only gave you 4 points and now it is 5 as we know. So we could trawl back in time and revise many of the championships but we don't because we compete under the rules as set down and right now, rightly or wrongly, that means having an outright winner. Though that does not mean I am unaware that the reasons for this are because the sponsorship orgs enjoy an explosive climax as much as most of us do.... :D
BaggyTrousers wrote: Yesterday was just awful, lucky O'Mahony, who I would have dropped to play Hendo at 6 :duh: , was there not just for his tackle but for being a one man backrow when yet again Heaslip appeared in awe of Parisse and Christ knows what Seannie was thinking about, probably cattle or rolling acres of sward, certainly not rugby, strolling around there being bested at every cut and turn. Fair dues to POM, I'll even forgive his stupid moment and send him my apologies for wanting to dump him.
Oh ye of little faith. 2 years ago I said POM was our best back row forward and a future Ireland Captain. Nothing has changed in that time to make me even consider changing that view. Hendo has come on the scene and he is potentially excellent. He still drifts in and out of games and did so yesterday. Even with that he was one of our top 3 players such was his impact when he drifted in. That's not an attack on Hendo. I said he is understandably not the finished article yet earlier this year and he quite obviously isn't but I expect him to get there with more games......same as POM really when he burst on the scene.
BaggyTrousers wrote: Henshaw and Keet looked like strangers by and large so Payne better be fit or Christ knows we might get and eighth centre pairing in 8 games, Keet and Fitzgerald sounds brill. :duh:
Indeed. I raised my concern before the RWC about Earls in the centre. My opinion has hardened more that he is not up to it at this level. He is a fabulous winger. A supreme finisher as his RWC try record shows but he is more than just that. I really do think that he along with Trimble and Bowe(at his best) are the best wingers we have and by a bit of a distance.
BaggyTrousers wrote: Signs of Sexton getting his game together but a bad one from Conor Murray, hopefully he'll be back to normal.
Murray was poor. Not helped by our forwards lack of even parity but some of his decision making was as bad as I've seen from him. Thing is we know he is a good player. He can turn it around in one game. Sexton impacted too by 1-9 but want to see more from him. Again we know he can do it. I do worry about his goalkicking though. At the crucial moment you cannot be confident with him. We may need to start thinking outside the box here - If we have a goalkick, maybe get POM to give Sexton a dig in the head so that Madigan has to come on to take the kick and then quickly switch back. Could we get away with doing this 6 or more times in a game? POM says it is no issue for him. :D
BaggyTrousers wrote: The sad thing off the back of a poor game like that, there are almost no changes to even consider, Toner for Hendo possible but I doubt it, Henry for SOB not one I'd make for France, Bowe is and always has been a cert despite many doubting it, it fits FibberBall not just the likely, but only only way we can compete against bigger teams.
I'll be surprised if Toner is not starting v France. Our maul is a joke and he adds to that as well as his lineout work. Think Hendo will end up on the bench. I would select Henry. There's only so many times SOB can show us he is not the player he was. Bench him and you anger him. We may get the benefit of that. Plus I think Henry is class. Top 4 Ulster player IMO.
Don't be daft Shan. Hendo is our best forward by some distance (yes - including POC). It would be lunacy to drop a bloke in that kind of form and with that physicality against the big French pack. Don't agree at all with your comment above of his drifting in and out of games. If you think Hendo is doing that, then what must his team mates be doing? He is giving 100% for the time he is on the field. There was an incident yesterday when he was involved in a ruck on the nearside of the pitch yet seconds later was tackling an Italian into touch on the far side. He gets around the park faster than any of our backrowers. Why do you think he is winning these MOTM awards and yet again making the pundits' team of the week?
I'd sooner drop O'Connell, who still can't carry for peanuts, yet takes it on himself at every opportunity. :duck:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

POC is a fading light, but I'd still have him all day every day. The man brings X factor to any team he plays on.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:POC is a fading light, but I'd still have him all day every day. The man brings X factor to any team he plays on.
Well of course my remark was tongue in cheek. POC is the heartbeat of the team and its natural leader, should not and will not be dropped.
Still wish he'd stop trying to carry so much mind - it's usually one step and down.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spiffsson wrote:
Don't be daft Shan. Hendo is our best forward by some distance (yes - including POC). It would be lunacy to drop a bloke in that kind of form and with that physicality against the big French pack. Don't agree at all with your comment above of his drifting in and out of games. If you think Hendo is doing that, then what must his team mates be doing? He is giving 100% for the time he is on the field. There was an incident yesterday when he was involved in a ruck on the nearside of the pitch yet seconds later was tackling an Italian into touch on the far side. He gets around the park faster than any of our backrowers. Why do you think he is winning these MOTM awards and yet again making the pundits' team of the week?
I'd sooner drop O'Connell, who still can't carry for peanuts, yet takes it on himself at every opportunity. :duck:

Many people are overly impressed when they see a guy make a few very good carries, especially if that involves bursting through tackles or otherwise imposing themselves physically. I've seen hundreds of matches where MOTM were awarded incorrectly and many for the reason as outlined in the previous sentence, some for 10's who "control" a game that the forwards have dominated to make it easy for him. Pundits are not in a better position than any of us and they are as easily impressed as many fans. I pretty much think the whole MOTM stuff is a load of horseshít anyway. Be advised I am not saying I am immune to being impressed by massive ball carrying ability myself and nor am I saying that this is all Hendo is doing as that would clearly be stupid.

As for the rest there is no discussion to be had. You believe as you do and so do I. That I do so without reference to someone elses view the only real difference. I've never really been one to give much of a shíte that some guy being paid to talk or write ballix has the same view I have when I've already utilised my own sense of sight and understanding of the game to form my opinions. So we can quite simply agree to disagree on this one and in a rather civil manner I think which is nice. :D

However I do expect he will be on the bench v France and despite my views on the rights and wrongs of that I shall manage to spare a thought for you in such a troubling time. :D

If you are correct, and you very well may be, then I won't be shedding any tears of course. Surprise doesn't usually cause me undue emotional outpourings.

One last thing - I will say that POC was well below his high standard v Italy. I just hope the great man has at least one more top performance in him. It's all very well saying such and such is better than POC but the reality is that he is the leader of this group and we need him at his best.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Fecking double post again... :(
Last edited by Shan on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

FYI - I had my reply sent before I saw your last post about POC Spiffsson.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:

Many people are overly impressed when they see a guy make a few very good carries, especially if that involves bursting through tackles or otherwise imposing themselves physically. I've seen hundreds of matches where MOTM were awarded incorrectly and many for the reason as outlined in the previous sentence, some for 10's who "control" a game that the forwards have dominated to make it easy for him. Pundits are not in a better position than any of us and they are as easily impressed as many fans. I pretty much think the whole MOTM stuff is a load of horseshít anyway. Be advised I am not saying I am immune to being impressed by massive ball carrying ability myself and nor am I saying that this is all Hendo is doing as that would clearly be stupid.

As for the rest there is no discussion to be had. You believe as you do and so do I. That I do so without reference to someone elses view the only real difference. I've never really been one to give much of a shíte that some guy being paid to talk or write ballix has the same view I have when I've already utilised my own sense of sight and understanding of the game to form my opinions. So we can quite simply agree to disagree on this one and in a rather civil manner I think which is nice. :D

However I do expect he will be on the bench v France and despite my views on the rights and wrongs of that I shall manage to spare a thought for you in such a troubling time. :D

If you are correct, and you very well may be, then I won't be shedding any tears of course. Surprise doesn't usually cause me undue emotional outpourings.

One last thing - I will say that POC was well below his high standard v Italy. I just hope the great man has at least one more top performance in him. It's all very well saying such and such is better than POC but the reality is that he is the leader of this group and we need him at his best.
POC is a leader of men. He will be like a 25 year old against the French.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Hendy's best bit was when he went for the choke tackle, the Italian went for the offload and Hendy grabbed the 2nd Italian and choked him too.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy

It's not a Joe "thing" dull rugby . Dull rugby is a product of tight games where the first mistake can can decide who will win or lose .

A game where the margin is less than 9
Points can be lost in 5 minutes

Thus game plans in such circumstances are low risk
-- try to kick your way into the opposition half and don't run the ball back if you may not have your forwards behind you when tackled and / or you won't get into the opposition half before being tackled -- don't get isolated , don't allow the opposition to run or kick at a disorganised defence .

On Sunday Ireland didn't compete possession when defending inside their own half and outside the 22 to do so would have provided the referee an opportunity to penalise Ireland .

With that approach you are relying on pressure on the opposition to force an error and provide possession .

When the opposition adopt a similar approach it becomes stalemate very quickly .

It's not Joe ball or Doak ball it is the result of the fact winning by 3 points is as good a result as winning by 53 points and losing is not acceptable .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Okay then,"The Phoney War"

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy

It's not a Joe "thing" dull rugby . Dull rugby is a product of tight games where the first mistake can can decide who will win or lose .

A game where the margin is less than 9
Points can be lost in 5 minutes

Thus game plans in such circumstances are low risk
-- try to kick your way into the opposition half and don't run the ball back if you may not have your forwards behind you when tackled and / or you won't get into the opposition half before being tackled -- don't get isolated , don't allow the opposition to run or kick at a disorganised defence .

On Sunday Ireland didn't compete possession when defending inside their own half and outside the 22 to do so would have provided the referee an opportunity to penalise Ireland .

With that approach you are relying on pressure on the opposition to force an error and provide possession .

When the opposition adopt a similar approach it becomes stalemate very quickly .

It's not Joe ball or Doak ball it is the result of the fact winning by 3 points is as good a result as winning by 53 points and losing is not acceptable .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ach Rum'n away and read yer feckin' bible, I read your first line and resolved to tell you to go feck & give my two heads peace.

You're a feckin' dunderhead if you don't understand that FibberJose has his own style of boring rugby, that has incidentally given Ireland remarkable returns so fair play to him, different to other brands. Furthermore he's bright enough to have his variations, he's a great coach.

I enjoyed his rugby at Clermont under Vern Cotter, I enjoyed his style with Mexico, I don't enjoy his rugby with Ireland but the results compensate that to a fair degree, we all like winning.

Good night now, careful as you go. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.