The run in.....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The run in.....

Post by Russ »

The man who used to predict the team every Monday
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

A wee bit of caution - we're on 19 points from 6 games since Kiss taking over by my reckoning with some fairly dour games there.

And yes, those six games included three interpros, and yes we've also shown some blinding stuff in Europe, and yes our ten games remaining are relatively kind (six home game, two games vs Zebre, only two games away to play-off contenders)... but a storming run to the finish line might not happen. Particularly when we've got however many games it isn't without Jackson - here's hoping Kiss has a better idea than letting iHumph have free reign at 10 for next week.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Russ wrote:The man who used to predict the team every Monday
But who now knows it by Tuesday lunch time......

Come a long way has Ruckie. :thumleft:
He has
The boy done good, but he needs to cut out this no predicting crapola.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Russ wrote:The man who used to predict the team every Monday
But who now knows it by Tuesday lunch time......

He has
He's probably like me. He doesn't want to scud it by saying we are going to win the Pro12 this year.
Pretty sure we have a 50/50 chance
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Once a Knight wrote:
Russ wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote: But who now knows it by Tuesday lunch time......

He has
He's probably like me. He doesn't want to scud it by saying we are going to win the Pro12 this year.
Pretty sure we have a 50/50 chance
Much better than 50/50.
Id say us v Leinster in the final would be a 50/59 chance
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

you can get Ulster at 3/1.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Once a Knight wrote:
Nightsoil wrote:A wee bit of caution - we're on 19 points from 6 games since Kiss taking over by my reckoning with some fairly dour games there.

And yes, those six games included three interpros, and yes we've also shown some blinding stuff in Europe, and yes our ten games remaining are relatively kind (six home game, two games vs Zebre, only two games away to play-off contenders)... but a storming run to the finish line might not happen. Particularly when we've got however many games it isn't without Jackson - here's hoping Kiss has a better idea than letting iHumph have free reign at 10 for next week.
I get a bit irked when I write things and people don't take them under their notice. It wasn't for a bit of fun that I wrote before Munster about rotation and needing Humph to get a game or two. I agree with you about that section of the season not being handled that well.

However, I would equally point out that Humph has always been a confidence player and right now I see him as pretty isolated and lacking in confidence. He needs a game or two with RP and a decent pack. He's the best "recognised" 10 we have and it's Hobson's choice unless you want to start a guy with 160 minutes in the last 11 months.

Not an ideal situation but the majority of games are in the comfort zone of Ravenspan. More positives than negatives at this stage in the season. IMO.
I do want to start Olding at 10. Won't be the first time I've recommended throwing in a young rookie fly-half ahead of iHumph on the grounds that at least he tackles and isn't guaranteed to do something mental bad and won't... well, guess it's getting close to the last now. I'd rather not do it straight on return from injury, but, well, ahead of iHumph, I'd do it anyway.

Still, I'd agree that if Kiss didn't want to do that, he needed to play iHumph prior to this. I can sympathise with him not doing so, but he does need the confidence it's true. If iHumph can't get his confidence back and play better than last game, there's a very long list of people I'd play ahead of him.

More positives than negatives though, agreed. I just felt like being contrary and negative.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

If we move Stu to 10 we'd have to move Cave to 12 and bring Stockdale in at 13 unless we're getting either Marshall or McCloskey back from Ireland. Just a thought to bear in mind for those advocating Olding to fly-half.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Nightsoil wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Nightsoil wrote:A wee bit of caution - we're on 19 points from 6 games since Kiss taking over by my reckoning with some fairly dour games there.

I get a bit irked when I write things and people don't take them under their notice. It wasn't for a bit of fun that I wrote before Munster about rotation and needing Humph to get a game or two. I agree with you about that section of the season not being handled that well.

However, I would equally point out that Humph has always been a confidence player and right now I see him as pretty isolated and lacking in confidence. He needs a game or two with RP and a decent pack. He's the best "recognised" 10 we have and it's Hobson's choice unless you want to start a guy with 160 minutes in the last 11 months.

Not an ideal situation but the majority of games are in the comfort zone of Ravenspan. More positives than negatives at this stage in the season. IMO.
I do want to start Olding at 10. Won't be the first time I've recommended throwing in a young rookie fly-half ahead of iHumph on the grounds that at least he tackles and isn't guaranteed to do something mental bad and won't... well, guess it's getting close to the last now. I'd rather not do it straight on return from injury, but, well, ahead of iHumph, I'd do it anyway.

Still, I'd agree that if Kiss didn't want to do that, he needed to play iHumph prior to this. I can sympathise with him not doing so, but he does need the confidence it's true. If iHumph can't get his confidence back and play better than last game, there's a very long list of people I'd play ahead of him.

More positives than negatives though, agreed. I just felt like being contrary and negative.
I'd only be starting Olding at 10 if Ruan is playing, I assume though you are thinking he will be. :thumleft:

Doesn't matter what level you are playing at never voluntarily go into a game of rugby without a proven goal kicker, Humph has amassed over 700 plus points (a few tries) for Ulster. He'll keep the scoreboard ticking over nicely and keep the Dragons honest in the penalty stakes. I'd say at worst he's on par with Tovey who he'll be opposite on Friday, he'll do me just grand during international period.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Once a Knight wrote:I understand where you're coming from NS. I would just give him a game or two with RP whilst at the same time letting Stu settle in after his rehab. I would suggest that Stu to 10 (in Treviso) rather than Sam Windsor who was over there is an indication that options are being looked at other than p at 9 and RP at 10 (of course).
Ihumph looked like he was smarting and indicating that there was something wrong with his leg when he went off. Did anyone notice? May have been forced, may have been the plan regardless, makes sense.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

This is all true, but none of it addresses the issues around iHumph's refusal even to make an attempt at a tackle. We cannot afford to carry a player whose contribution in attack no longer offsets his down side. I believe I am a fair guy and I think my track record of defending players who are not delivering testifies to that. I don't see where iHumph goes and I don't see any aspect of his game that is close to the required standard. So where is the justification for including him? In the interests of team morale, to put a guy into a team he has to bring something to the party, something that he can contribute other than goal kicking.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why Jackson and at least one of Marshall and McCloskey are available. And is Ruan recovered from his illness?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Once a Knight wrote:People forget that he'd kicked 10 points v Treviso. 2 pens and 2 conversions. He was not the only one not doing the basics in the first half. Trust me, I'm critical of him at times but being dropped in cold to Oyonnax away and then taking the morale hit from being pulled off at half time, has left him struggling. Until he got creamed at home to Oyonnax I thought he was doing very well.
Are you setting them up :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

iHumph is not the future though. This is a guy who will be departing us at the end of the season, and if we persist with him not only do we run the risk of him not improving but we also don't progress any further in terms of development.

I'd like to see Ruan do a bit of mentoring to McPhillips. Having Ruan's quality inside him and Stu's creativity outside, as well as having Ru kick the goals too, will take a huge amount of pressure off him and allow him to try and express himself in open play. I would love to see him given the start against the Dragons.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Damn you Merv, I was going to point out the same thing :lol:
Once a Knight wrote:I understand where you're coming from NS. I would just give him a game or two with RP whilst at the same time letting Stu settle in after his rehab. I would suggest that Stu to 10 (in Treviso) rather than Sam Windsor who was over there is an indication that options are being looked at other than p at 9 and RP at 10 (of course).
A reasonable course of action, aye. Allows Olding to get used to the idea of being a 10 with twenty minute cameos at the end too. Not the one I'd pick, but very easy to gamble from a couch with nothing on the line.
ruckover wrote:If we move Stu to 10 we'd have to move Cave to 12 and bring Stockdale in at 13 unless we're getting either Marshall or McCloskey back from Ireland. Just a thought to bear in mind for those advocating Olding to fly-half.
a) I will be stunned if we don't get back one of Marshall or McCloskey.
b) Arnold should be fit again in soon, right?
c) But even if it was Cave to 12 and Stockdale to 13 I would totally do it.
edit: d) I like the McPhillips idea to be fair, but considering he's just out of school (and I think mainly played 15 there), might be a little too soon.
UlsterNo9 wrote: I'd only be starting Olding at 10 if Ruan is playing, I assume though you are thinking he will be. :thumleft:

Doesn't matter what level you are playing at never voluntarily go into a game of rugby without a proven goal kicker, Humph has amassed over 700 plus points (a few tries) for Ulster. He'll keep the scoreboard ticking over nicely and keep the Dragons honest in the penalty stakes. I'd say at worst he's on par with Tovey who he'll be opposite on Friday, he'll do me just grand during international period.
Preferably with Pienaar but I'd gamble on Olding if needs be. He's looked decent enough in his few go's at goal to date.

In case it's not obvious, I've really lost confidence in iHumph. Hopefully he regains his confidence and proves me wrong. But - well - I've said I'd take a lot of gambles ahead of him, because right now, playing him feels like an even worse gamble... again, please prove me wrong iHumph.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Is Olding not normally a fairly decent goal kicker? Better than McCloskey or Nelson at any rate. I seem to recall a Ravens game a few seasons ago when he kicked everything.
Big Neville Southall