The Disappeared 2018-19 season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: The Disappeared 2018-19 season

Post by big mervyn »

damianmcr wrote:If people believe PJ and SO will never play for Ulster again no matter the outcome then why havent they had their contracts terminated already?
Due process has to be observed. I think UR would probably end up in the courts if they did otherwise.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

big mervyn wrote:
damianmcr wrote:If people believe PJ and SO will never play for Ulster again no matter the outcome then why havent they had their contracts terminated already?
Due process has to be observed. I think UR would probably end up in the courts if they did otherwise.
Exactly, and UR can only be seen to act on the information which is in the public domain, and not the facts that are known privately but not yet publicly. To do anything else would even prejudice the case potentially.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

The sooner we move on with this the better for all concerned... long overdue and systematic of an underlaying problem with an amateur organisation trying to live in the professional world. It starts with the idiot at the top and must slice all the way down and through..

He claims he built the stadium well he didn't not only because much went before but also because on his watch they had to bring more sensible people in to ensure it was delivered.. they have now left seeing the mess that is UR.

I have long said we need to sleep around with other agents and get away from the monogamy that exists with Esportif.... for example when we sign an injured player who never once plays for Ulster do you think that the player doesn't get paid and that the agent doesn't get his slice.. the only losers are Ulster who time and time again have paid out for bad deals.. the latest could be an overrated prop but then UR are incapable of inserting any clause never mind a 'get off the plane fit next year when your coming or else stay at home' clause.

If some don't disappear then the crowd will....
Last edited by Cockatrice on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dharper wrote:I’m sensing a change in attitude/culture at UR?.....is this the JGibbes effect?
Hopefully there will be a massive clear out at the end of the season. Although the major focus is on the mediocrity of the pack and addressing it, there are massive decisions to be made in the backs....PJ SO JP injury CP leaving the 2 wingers and Cave....that’s a big whole to fill and a lot of freed up money to reinvest.
Also why is the decision re PJ SO non UR futures so clear cut even if acquitted? We can all second guess roughly what the scenario was ( let’s leave it at that). My point being last season UR allowed a “convicted” double drink driver to remain on the books RW, and also Herron.....and it’s hardly like they were superstar signings UR needed on the pitch.
UR recruitment policy will be severely stress tested this coming yr, and I hope they give home grown players a go.
They could have helped next years recruitment policy by previously properly developing young players then more may have come through... think back to Longwell and whilst the years have past things since have been built on a shyte foundation... being an ex-ulster player appears to get you an automatic coaching job and to hell with anyone else after all Williams and McGlock were nothing but fecking teachers and what did they ever do for Ulster :scratch:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:Most of Gerald's list won't be here next year I hope. A few should never have been signed. Some I'll be sad to see go. Cave should be kept but won't and I wouldn't blame him either if he turned a deal down as well. I'd live to give SVDM a chance at least and Coetzee should stay.
I would welcome anyone who knows differently to correct me, but he will stay, there is an excellent reason why.

Essentially we have no bloody choice in the matter, there is no insurance to pay him off and he has a 3 year contract.

Some - like FOLK - may call it "sticking by him", I think most would say, "Marcell & Ulster are stuck with each other". Oh aye, and we can't afford a replacement hence none has been requested.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I can’t seem to start a separate thread but it’s a kind of follow on subject. Talk me through an UR transfer process if anyone knows?
Coach/head coach ids issue, recruitment signed off by CEO, Bryn gets involved, Esportif contacted, player identified, deal agreed, signed off by CEO, player signed?....so does ultimately anyone know who is actually responsible or perhaps more appropriate “held accountable “ for recruitment?
I can’t imagine Gibbes will be happy to sign up tom kite or injured forwards next season, as his name will be on it.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dharper wrote:I can’t seem to start a separate thread but it’s a kind of follow on subject. Talk me through an UR transfer process if anyone knows?
Coach/head coach ids issue, recruitment signed off by CEO, Bryn gets involved, Esportif contacted, player identified, deal agreed, signed off by CEO, player signed?....so does ultimately anyone know who is actually responsible or perhaps more appropriate “held accountable “ for recruitment?
I can’t imagine Gibbes will be happy to sign up tom kite or injured forwards next season, as his name will be on it.
Great question, and as a follow up question to that is the CEO only looking at it from an affordability perspective, as I thought SL is essentially just an administrator?
Would like to know what process there is with regards to appointing all the professional side of UR i.e. all the coaches, trainers, physios etc.? Again I'm coming back to the accountability thing, who is ultimately presiding over what is happening at UR?
As for clearing out a load of players the question is what is the main driver of this, is it saving money, changing culture, the belief that the younger ones have that much more potential that we need few oul hands? If we are going to clear a load of players out then the blooding of some of the youngsters this year which has definitely started makes sense. I would be inclined not to look to recruit any players from outside unless they are going to be a clear starter.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Example:

Agent: here is a player you can sign.

UR: how much?

Agent: doesn't matter just sign this.

UR: double it and we have a deal.

Agent: he doesn't need a medical he's fine.

UR: knees ok? *Nervous laughter*

Agent: can we finish this, I've golf now.

UR: sorry.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dharper wrote:so does ultimately anyone know who is actually responsible or perhaps more appropriate “held accountable “ for recruitment?
Bryn is happy to get his head on TV to claim credit, so we'll dump the responsibility there.
DWFinn
Novice

Post by DWFinn »

The problems with Ulster have been identified;

An unproductive academy run by unqualified ex-players with an apparent focus on Belfast schools,
An external recruitment agency (again run by an ex-player) having a monopoly on our recruitment activities with Ulster time and again getting bum deals,
Poor quality coaching - our basic skills and set-pieces are indefensible.

What can we do about it though? This is not a Government Department with accountability to the public, it's a sports team after all. Perhaps a march on D4? Embrace Nucifora and use his bar steward to but the shoe in where needed at UR? Surely he can't be happy with Ulster only providing 6 players to the AI squad
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dharper wrote:I can’t seem to start a separate thread but it’s a kind of follow on subject. Talk me through an UR transfer process if anyone knows?
I heard a story in the case of Charlie that was discussed at the PMC a fine body of men which just happens to include the Colonel... in the case of Charlie some said NO he was a luxury we could not afford and that we needed a top class hard nosed backrow player.. others which will remain nameless said it was more important to put bums on seats and that as such Charlie was key to that no matter whether he fitted with the team profile or not.. that to me says it all we but a player we don't need and many didn't want just to fill half the Memorial Stand...

I asked before about Charlie and who actually identified his need for the team.. I can't recall the exact timeframe but not mistaken Kiss had been announced but wasn't coming for the standard year plus and Doak was in charge.. so who was it well no one actually knew.

I also question some people and their business associations with others... very few others do but still it all ties in with the Ulster Way. I think someone asked the question again recently on this thread but the seeds for that were set a while back in the time of others..

I think it could be a while before any serious player wants to take up a contract here..
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

DWFinn wrote:The problems with Ulster have been identified;

An unproductive academy run by unqualified ex-players with an apparent focus on Belfast schools,
Michael Lowry- Inst
James Hume-Inst
Alexander Clarke-Ballymena
Matthew Dalton_ BRA
Tom O'Toole, - CCB
Joe Dunleavy-Letterkenny
John McCusker-Derry
Adam McBurney,-Ballyclare
Aaron Hall-Ballyclare
Tom O’Hagan-Maghera
Ross Kane- Bangor
Jack Owens-CCB
Greg Jones-Mexico
O’sullivan-Mexico
Regan-Mexico
Angus Curtis- Zimbabwe
Peter Cooper- Sullivan
Zack McCall. Wallace
Nick Timony- Mexico
Marcus Rea-Ballymena

NOTE: O'Toole came from Oz Irish parents i believe

BOOM. I cannot see were you get the Fixation on Belfast Schools
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:
DWFinn wrote:The problems with Ulster have been identified;

Michael Lowry- Inst
James Hume-Inst
Alexander Clarke-Ballymena
Matthew Dalton_ BRA
Tom O'Toole, - CCB
Joe Dunleavy-Letterkenny
John McCusker-Derry
Adam McBurney,-Ballyclare
Aaron Hall-Ballyclare
Tom O’Hagan-Maghera
Ross Kane- Bangor
Jack Owens-CCB
Greg Jones-Mexico
O’sullivan-Mexico
Regan-Mexico
Angus Curtis- Zimbabwe
Peter Cooper- Sullivan
Zack McCall. Wallace
Nick Timony- Mexico
Marcus Rea-Ballymena

NOTE: O'Toole came from Oz Irish parents i believe

BOOM. I cannot see were you get the Fixation on Belfast Schools
There are many in this Academy I have high hopes for
Most of those work with Soper or McLoughlin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

That is a real promising group of players. It's a good time to have Jono here. Add in Tommy O'Hagan, already promoted to the 1st team squad but yet to feature. The future is bright.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:That is a real promising group of players. It's a good time to have Jono here. Add in Tommy O'Hagan, already promoted to the 1st team squad but yet to feature. The future is bright.
How much time does Jonno get with the Academy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk