Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

kingofthehill wrote:
thecrouch wrote:Demented Mole has an interesting piece too:

https://dementedmole.com/2018/03/04/its ... #more-6745
Superb piece.

Can’t understand why the local journos haven’t done anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite a lot in here about how McLaughlin's exit was more a function of contractual/career break judgment on his own part, rather than Humph wanting to institute a Head Honcho > Head Coach model. Is that at all accurate?
It's the hope that kills you.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

If I may comment and accept that my opinion may differ from that of some of my esteemed colleagues on here….

I like Bryn and do think he is someone that like all supporters is hurting from what is happening with Ulster Rugby however unlike us he is on the inside and is and has been in a position of influence since 2014.

I also think that he is a person that I could believe in but at the same time one that needs to come out and be totally honest in accepting that he may have played even a small part in the mess that we find ourselves. When we go for the most basic of jobs today we are asked about what makes a good team and team member etc and one of those traits is to accept ones responsibility and not point all the finger of blame elsewhere. So Bryn let me believe you…

Now to the signings…

At the risk of repeating myself I remain unsure who exactly is involved in the process or indeed every process because the signing of one player is likely different to the signing of another.

As stated my view is a mix of… coaches identifying targets (whether that be a player by name or type or position) and discussions with the recruitment man (Bryn). They could take a variety of formats say from discussions over those existing players with contracts coming to an end and who needs signed and who not so much. Yes the Head Coach/DoR should be driving this it is after all his team and by extension what he is trying to do on the pitch and the players he wants to do that. Bryn then presumably sounds out agents whilst at the same time he is undoubtedly advised of other players that may becoming available and when… in turn they may or may not fit the bill.

I also see both involved in discussions with the Academy over what is needed long term/short term/ where we have gaps and where we may be overloaded and these would presumably include Willie..

As for a break down of who signed what player I would like to hear it from the horses mouth and any horse for that matter because then we can see what if any differences exist, if indeed they do.

From what I know Bryn claims that he seen Coetzee play against Ireland in Dublin and then had to sign him. Now that sounds to me as this was his signing and potentially he could have been one of our best but for somewhat unforeseen injuries (and for that I am not proportioning any blame) but it does appear to indicate that Bryn has the authority to sign. (Again I will speculate here and assume that such a signing might fit in the category of the coaches have identified a position/type of player maybe even a player and that Bryn comes back with we can’t get Vito or we can get Coetzee who ticks those boxes and I have just seen him and he is an ideal fit.)

Other signings I would like to hear about but at the same time I am but a supporter and in truth even at times the best signings don’t always work and others end up a surprise.

Charles came before Bryn at a time when he was still an agent or at least that is my understanding of what he said and indeed signings can be 12-18 months in the making so again who was it that identified and approved the signing of him and again with the dates I can’t even be sure if Kiss was here then.

Elsewhere 8 or more so called dodgy signings are listed but or me the one that is worthy of investigation was that of Raaymaker as an emergency cover. It is my (irrelevant) opinion that when a professional club signs a short term emergency cover they should do so safe in the knowledge that the player coming in will report fit and well for playing. If in the interim they get injured (and yes these things happen) then the club should be fit to say that the signing is based on you passing a medical on arrival and if not we will not proceed. In the case of Raaymaker that signing went ahead and we paid his a wage to come here in the full knowledge that he has a serious injury and would be unable to play… That smacks of incompetence.

Lastly the Review….

It is seemingly underway and already looks like far from transparent in that we don’t know who by… again maybe not for us plebs to know and some of that I can accept but still if Bryn wants to gain the backing of Ulster Supporters going forward he needs to ensure that his place within UR is also subject to that review because he can then come out of this in a much stronger position.

As for the future I suspect the supporters meeting and at other times the call put out will be for the supporters to buy into this change and support the club.. we need you more than ever.. we will not be able to get through this without you... buy your season tickets (two years would be better) and we can get through this together.. so its up to us now. My support would be 110% delivered in the next e-mail once they can convince me that this review has no fingerprints belonging the auld inner guard on it.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockers, I have no idea about the Sun King but I do know that Hond was someone that both Kiss & Clarke had a hard on for and wanted him signed.

The thing is we will never know the exact details of who did/said/suggested what.

My answer to it all is to stick Bryn in as either the DOR or CEO of Pro Team Ulster, separate the pro game including the academy, from the amateur, let Bryn run with whomsoever is brought in as head coach/DOR and let them be judged on both results and academy production.

Anything other than that, in my opinion, is likely to see the same cycle of crap repeated ad nauseam.............. I think I'll coin a word for it, cyclical-clusterballix sounds about right.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

The official line will be Bryn signed the half decent ones and Les responsible for the dross.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ClUlsterfeck

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Any chance Clarke has such a hardon for the hond he might buy him out?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Was chatting to someone today with a bit of inside information and he informed me that
1. Schmidt couldn’t wait to get rid of Kiss from Ireland.
2.Doak wasn’t allowed to address the team when Kiss was in charge.
3.Gibbes realised within the first 2months of the season he had made a huge mistake and was looking for a way out.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:Was chatting to someone today with a bit of inside information and he informed me that
3.Gibbes realised within the first 2months of the season he had made a huge mistake and was looking for a way out.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.
We are an embarrassment.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

kingofthehill wrote:Was chatting to someone today with a bit of inside information and he informed me that

Not going to dispute any of that, but was Kiss a part of Jonno thinking this was a mistake? If so could be not see the writing on the wall and bide his time?

For me whatever the reasons for Jonno going, he is leaving a team (or pack if we must) in a much state than he found them, and that is not a coaches CV material

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ColinM wrote:Any chance Clarke has such a hardon for the hond he might buy him out?

I think I used the word HAD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cockatrice wrote:If I may comment and accept that my opinion may differ from that of some of my esteemed colleagues on here….

I like Bryn and do think he is someone that like all supporters is hurting from what is happening with Ulster Rugby however unlike us he is on the inside and is and has been in a position of influence since 2014.

I also think that he is a person that I could believe in but at the same time one that needs to come out and be totally honest in accepting that he may have played even a small part in the mess that we find ourselves. When we go for the most basic of jobs today we are asked about what makes a good team and team member etc and one of those traits is to accept ones responsibility and not point all the finger of blame elsewhere. So Bryn let me believe you…

Now to the signings…

At the risk of repeating myself I remain unsure who exactly is involved in the process or indeed every process because the signing of one player is likely different to the signing of another.

As stated my view is a mix of… coaches identifying targets (whether that be a player by name or type or position) and discussions with the recruitment man (Bryn). They could take a variety of formats say from discussions over those existing players with contracts coming to an end and who needs signed and who not so much. Yes the Head Coach/DoR should be driving this it is after all his team and by extension what he is trying to do on the pitch and the players he wants to do that. Bryn then presumably sounds out agents whilst at the same time he is undoubtedly advised of other players that may becoming available and when… in turn they may or may not fit the bill.

I also see both involved in discussions with the Academy over what is needed long term/short term/ where we have gaps and where we may be overloaded and these would presumably include Willie..

As for a break down of who signed what player I would like to hear it from the horses mouth and any horse for that matter because then we can see what if any differences exist, if indeed they do.

From what I know Bryn claims that he seen Coetzee play against Ireland in Dublin and then had to sign him. Now that sounds to me as this was his signing and potentially he could have been one of our best but for somewhat unforeseen injuries (and for that I am not proportioning any blame) but it does appear to indicate that Bryn has the authority to sign. (Again I will speculate here and assume that such a signing might fit in the category of the coaches have identified a position/type of player maybe even a player and that Bryn comes back with we can’t get Vito or we can get Coetzee who ticks those boxes and I have just seen him and he is an ideal fit.)

Other signings I would like to hear about but at the same time I am but a supporter and in truth even at times the best signings don’t always work and others end up a surprise.

Charles came before Bryn at a time when he was still an agent or at least that is my understanding of what he said and indeed signings can be 12-18 months in the making so again who was it that identified and approved the signing of him and again with the dates I can’t even be sure if Kiss was here then.

Elsewhere 8 or more so called dodgy signings are listed but or me the one that is worthy of investigation was that of Raaymaker as an emergency cover. It is my (irrelevant) opinion that when a professional club signs a short term emergency cover they should do so safe in the knowledge that the player coming in will report fit and well for playing. If in the interim they get injured (and yes these things happen) then the club should be fit to say that the signing is based on you passing a medical on arrival and if not we will not proceed. In the case of Raaymaker that signing went ahead and we paid his a wage to come here in the full knowledge that he has a serious injury and would be unable to play… That smacks of incompetence.

Lastly the Review….

It is seemingly underway and already looks like far from transparent in that we don’t know who by… again maybe not for us plebs to know and some of that I can accept but still if Bryn wants to gain the backing of Ulster Supporters going forward he needs to ensure that his place within UR is also subject to that review because he can then come out of this in a much stronger position.

As for the future I suspect the supporters meeting and at other times the call put out will be for the supporters to buy into this change and support the club.. we need you more than ever.. we will not be able to get through this without you... buy your season tickets (two years would be better) and we can get through this together.. so its up to us now. My support would be 110% delivered in the next e-mail once they can convince me that this review has no fingerprints belonging the auld inner guard on it.
Great post. :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

1. Schmidt couldn’t wait to get rid of Kiss from Ireland. Not the first man in history to be promoted just to get them awaytifu@k out of harm's way. I do claim dibs on being first to dub FOLK as a D4 plant.
2.Doak wasn’t allowed to address the team when Kiss was in charge.Confirmation that FOLK did indeed sideline other coaches as several people said at least a year back. Also if I may be so bold, casts a different light on the character of the man we are told was such a wonderful human :roll: I toul'yis he was a wee angry toerag.
3.Gibbes realised within the first 2months of the season he had made a huge mistake and was looking for a way out. Well, at least he can't be accused of stupidity.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
1. Schmidt couldn’t wait to get rid of Kiss from Ireland. Not the first man in history to be promoted just to get them awaytifu@k out of harm's way. I do claim dibs on being first to dub FOLK as a D4 plant.
2.Doak wasn’t allowed to address the team when Kiss was in charge.Confirmation that FOLK did indeed sideline other coaches as several people said at least a year back. Also if I may be so bold, casts a different light on the character of the man we are told was such a wonderful human :roll: I toul'yis he was a wee angry toerag.
3.Gibbes realised within the first 2months of the season he had made a huge mistake and was looking for a way out. Well, at least he can't be accused of stupidity.
Incompetence gains promotion..........to an extent. Mad world we live in.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Nope, not stupid, just dishonest.
That was some heavy reading tonight chaps. I fell asleep twice reading Arsemoleman’s tome and only once during Cocker’s lovely post. I’m sure I’m not the first person to fall asleep on his post.
My mince pies are plumb tuckered, so Sartre will have to keep for another time.

Hell is other people...usually Mexicans.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

kingofthehill wrote:1. Schmidt couldn’t wait to get rid of Kiss from Ireland. Not the first man in history to be promoted just to get them awaytifu@k out of harm's way. I do claim dibs on being first to dub FOLK as a D4 plant.
Obviously we were in need at the time, but the conspiracy theorist in me agrees. Would D4 really would have "promoted" him to another province if Joe simply wanted rid. Not bloody likely.

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.