Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by Dave »

As of right now, who would offer Addison another contract?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Kanbei
Novice

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by Kanbei »

Henderson on a central contract as well remember. So we don't actually pay him.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:40 am As of right now, who would offer Addison another contract?
He’s not got many miles on the clock - could have plenty of years left in him once he gets out of the garage!

Don’t think we know when his current deal expires and I guess it may have appearance related termination and/or extension clauses.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:22 pm Broke my leg in a bone-crunching tackle in Feb ‘93 and was bowling off-spin come June in a metal brace.

No doubt it would have been against medical advice had I actually been given any.
In late 70's, I broke my leg (Fibula) stretching for a ball and it was diagnosed as stretched Achilles - I did get advice - don't play for 6-8 weeks.

6 weeks later having walked around with just my ankle bandaged, for a while I played again and this time broke my tibia, being on the wrong end of a bone-crunching tackle. It was when they x-rayed this they saw the callous formation and recent fracture on my Fibula.

Medical advice isn't all that useful if they haven't x-rayed far enough up the leg to see the actual damage.

Failure to x-ray far enough along in today's market it would be medical negligence and worth a few thousand in compensation, but back then, you just didn't think of that.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:12 am
StandUp wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:02 am Like I said, double standards.
False equivalence. Hendy and Marshall played millions of games before recent injury struggles so of course they get a bye ball. They have credit in the bank which will doesn't.
:scratch: Not entirely sure that’s how professional sport works.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I would have thought that rather than talking about whether Addison is worth a contract, we should be talking about what sort of contract he is worth. I have no idea what his current terms are, given both his quality and injury profile some sort of low base salary with any further pay being linked to appearances would make sense?

If he was on some sort of contract where the majority of his pay was linked to appearances then I'd think he'd be worth taking a chance on keeping around for as long as he wanted. When he has been fit the guy is utter class.

Rightly or wrongly the mental comparison I tend to make is Wilkinson. He spent several seasons perma-crocked at Newcastle, but after moving to Toulon that seemed to stop for whatever reason.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:40 am As of right now, who would offer Addison another contract?
He’s not got many miles on the clock - could have plenty of years left in him once he gets out of the garage!

Don’t think we know when his current deal expires and I guess it may have appearance related termination and/or extension clauses.
Question skillfully dodged like a pro Image
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Flip it the other way, if you were in charge of recruitment at another club would you be running out to offer Will a contract? He will stay at ulster for as long as we invest in him. Why would we go through all the rehab to see him line out somewhere else next season.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:Flip it the other way, if you were in charge of recruitment at another club would you be running out to offer Will a contract? He will stay at ulster for as long as we invest in him. Why would we go through all the rehab to see him line out somewhere else next season.
Yeah that's the issue as well. There are no right answers. Heck of a gamble to renew at this stage but this could be the last injury he ever has. Or it could be the last injury he ever has.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Does player insurance not cover the treatment and salary when injured?
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Team's been named:

Doak starting at 10, David McCann in the back row. Keeping faith with players who did well last week.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:52 am
justinr73 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:22 pm Broke my leg in a bone-crunching tackle in Feb ‘93 and was bowling off-spin come June in a metal brace.

No doubt it would have been against medical advice had I actually been given any.
In late 70's, I broke my leg (Fibula) stretching for a ball and it was diagnosed as stretched Achilles - I did get advice - don't play for 6-8 weeks.

6 weeks later having walked around with just my ankle bandaged, for a while I played again and this time broke my tibia, being on the wrong end of a bone-crunching tackle. It was when they x-rayed this they saw the callous formation and recent fracture on my Fibula.

Medical advice isn't all that useful if they haven't x-rayed far enough up the leg to see the actual damage.

Failure to x-ray far enough along in today's market it would be medical negligence and worth a few thousand in compensation, but back then, you just didn't think of that.
What a shambles. Things are no better from my experience.

Bust my fingers playing in goal about 15 years ago. The doc tried to tell me that the injury site was much lower down my hand. I pointed out (with my other hand) that the X-ray he was looking at did not have my date of birth on it (for a very good reason)……

When I snapped my Achilles playing cricket in 2018 they X-rayed it, didn’t scan it and covered me in plaster. Some weeks later, they put me in a boot and said I could take it off at night. Needless to say my heel didn’t heal and I had to go private for surgery to sort it out.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Probably as strong a team as we could put out. Of course Duane getting a rest. Westies have gone full hoke also. Jones on the bench? Is Sheridan not worth a go at this point?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

StandUp wrote:Does player insurance not cover the treatment and salary when injured?
How much would he cost to insure? Given his injury profile?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999