Football/Rugby Stadium in East Belfast

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Gerry- It was UR that proposed the ground share idea for a site which had been identified in East Belfast.

BB- with regards to what benefit it would be to UR maybe you should ask them as it was them that proposed the matter in the first instance.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Re: Football/Rugby Stadium in East Belfast

Post by aarons »

GerryO' wrote:I had posted before I read your apology :oops: and we have already agreed on the other thread; so happy days:D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :wink:
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Throwing an idea in the air is not the same as proposing something

It may have been someone at the Branch wanting to see how the idea might fall but the Branch actually proposing it have my doubts CT

If you thought the AGM was fun the meeting that this would be discuused at Branch level and IRFU level would be something else and the world and his neighbour would hear about
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BB- I accept that had there been discussion at Branch level the world and whoever would have heard so one must conclude that sequence didn't therefore occur.

However I do not think that having architects draw up an actual stadium plan for a specific site, holding meetings with the site owners and presumably involving the other joint party amounts to someone at the branch wanting to see how the idea might fall.

Sounds like a well advanced project involving both interested parties and the site owner to establish cost of any such development and the cost of the land.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

If Gloucester can............................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 132396.stm
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

browner- I reckon the IRFU owe us more than a few million on the basis of Thomond so why not. Would hate to think that the IRFU are spending money in Limerick on the basis that they don't have to worry about up here.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I don't think 15k is worth moving for.

A ground share with a regular playing soccer team also means the grass will be cut short - longer grass is something that has been flagged as one of the +ves of Ravenhill.

I've got to say, I'm happy enough with the current proposals - ie redevelop Ravenhill (although I would have prefered a moderate increase in capacity) and utilise a larger stadium for popular games should one becomes available.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Cockatrice wrote....................

I reckon the IRFU owe us more than a few million on the basis of Thomond so why not. Would hate to think that the IRFU are spending money in Limerick on the basis that they don't have to worry about up here.
Might be case for us Irish to play the Orange card. :wink:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

Gloucester Rugby have made no secret of the fact they are interested in any possible development at the Railway Triangle but this current development at Kingsholm would not prevent any future financial contribution to that project.

http://www.gloucesterrugbyclub.com/304_2814.php
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.