Ulster v Earth Titans

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

The scoreline very much flattered Ulster last night. The first half was poor - and that's trying to be generous. Basic skills (passing, catching and holding onto the ball) were woeful and the defence around the ruck was a shambles.

Rotherham tired in the last half hour allowing Ulster to canter in a few tries - at times it was like tag rugby and I don't know hoe useful that will be for the campaign ahead.

But as has been noted by previous posters there were a few positives (McMillan, Harrison, Trimble, Humphries). However, some of the general play remains a concern and I fear we may be caught short of game time when then the season kicks off, especially with the tough initial programme of 4 aways in the first 6 games.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

I agree Freddie, I agree.
Colin, sorry indeed not to have at least shaken hands but what the hell.

To be specific about Wallace. I have argued in the past he gets game time at ten but have to say there is little point if he continues to run laterally with the ball in hand before passing, 3 steps is too much and four is out of order because he simply closes down space for the outside backs and slows up any notion of geting the ball wide. I agree humph does indeed flunk the ocasional pass but IMHO whilst others say Wallace needs the game time, last night Humph came on cold so to speak and immediately sparked Ulster, something Wallace has failed patently to do.
PS: I missed the Shane Stewart inside pass but I suppose in the long run it's consistency and he doesn't have it though he does break the gainline.

I fear, like Freddie we are undercooked for Cardiff, not a happy hunting ground for us either and as he says four away games out of the first six is a recipe for another poor start this season from which like last, we'll not recover.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

I agree with what most say here but as I wasn't there, its hard to form my own opinion. I have to say though that the first 2 away games should be a target for the team. We have to win! Its actually very simple, we need to make an impact at the start, something to carry us through, and get us to the top of the table. That means trys scored and points, including bonus points being gained. Thats the target, away games and bonus points. Anything less means low expectation from the camp as a whole. The management should be instilling the highest expectation possible, and motivating the team to achieve it.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I am ever the eternal optomist as you know. I have much more hopeful that we have a much better side than we had this time last season. The big thing at the start of last season was confidence which should not be the same problem this time around. The league will be tougher than last year and in and around the Connaght game will give us a fair idea as to how we are doing. But more so than last year I am hopeful. Harrison will prove to be a big hit on and off the pitch. The boys are more together in terms of team spirit and we also have a centre who can beat players if we are allowed to play him. Two wingers as well that can score and take chances. The pack will do well, very well but agree that the problem will be at OH if either Hump has another off day and Paddy does not perform when Hump is injured. But as you say we have to give Paddy a decent run and let him make mistakes otherwise he will not be able to take over from Hump. OH was a poblem last season too.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Colin I agree with you whole heartedly we have a better team than last year and probably more strength in depth. I felt that the coaching was a problem last year and feel it could be a problem this year again.

He (McC) is saying all the wrong things yet again. For example he's making out in implicit fashion that EO'S shafted his plans to field a near as damn it first team in the Rotherham match. Yet he must have known this was going to happen and should have given his near as damnit first team an extended run in the Irish match.

We are now left undercooked. As you say OH is a problem and be sure McC will play an unfit Humph if he can in the Cardiff match rather than rely on Wallace.

To classify, Humph it is important to remember where he stands in keeping our home record in Europe intact. Think, his individual try against stade last time out as an example.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

To classify, Humph it is important to remember where he stands in keeping our home record in Europe intact. Think, his individual try against stade last time out as an example
Yet again I find myself agreeing with most of what you say. But while Hump is outstanding in the home HEC games he has not exactly covered himself in glory in any other games last season. Dont get me wrong I am not anti Hump and pro Paddy. Hump on his day is the best but I think people are too hard on Paddy. Yes he can be inconsistent but so can Hump. Also was it not an inspirational run by Paddy from good line out ball that resulted in him scoring the winning try in the corresponding fixture against Stade the season before when he came on as a sub.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

an omission from my previous post was to give 'big reps' to JH for signing autographs after the game - every other bugger had buggered off into the showers. I guess that's part of what you have to do when you're on...........how much was it again CT?

(I noticed this as I was on a freebie in the stand........ rather than on my usual perch........yes, that's right, half way line 2nd barrier up... :roll: :wink: )
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Questions

Post by Setanta »

I didn't find any answer to the 'where was Ferris question? Is it true only 3500 supporters were there? When was the last time so few showed up?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Freddie - freebie in the stand what next corporate I went through a phase like that last year but grew out of it. Mind you I was there for the rather wet evening against Gloucester and a few others that were slightly wet.

Was Ferris not playing for the U21 in Gloucester??
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Freddie Benson wrote:(I noticed this as I was on a freebie in the stand........ rather than on my usual perch........yes, that's right, half way line 2nd barrier up... :roll: :wink: )
Find anything interesting to look at over there Freddie :wink:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

just the back of colin's head.....so that's a no then

CT - it was just a one off - once my ST kicks in for Embra I'll be back on th eterrace
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Better view from the terrace then Freddie :wink:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
B.Y.O
Novice

Post by B.Y.O »

Any ideas about the starting 15 for Cardiff?
Could Ulster win 2 or 3 aways before the Treviso match? I think 2 would be a good start before autumn internationals.
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Personally don't think Cardiff's a happy hunting ground for us and we're going there undercooked tryig to learn a new system of playing. again!

Add in a not fully fit humph and a less than daring selection, no Trimble for example and it's all likely to be so near yet so far ...again!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

First game an away fixture with a team that will not have played together against a side that already has had 1 competitive game, we will be lucky to get a bonus point :( Hopefully I am totally wrong and we get a win plus a bonus though :D
Rory Best