Ulster v Leinster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Leinster

Post by Russ »

RAY. Once again our top performer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Grade A Omni shambles. Line out a disaster. No fight in 2nd half

Knock Ons......

It was embarrassing v D4 2nds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boringperson12
Novice

Post by boringperson12 »

We were out coached at the lineout. I'd give a lot of credit to Leinster for putting the pressure on, and our systems cracked under the strain.

Our scrum was outstanding at times... The grunt shown for Reidy's try was a bit special but we don't have the personnel to make those types of efforts over the course of 80 minutes.

Cairns passed too many times behind the first receiver slowing down everything. Every game Stockdale brings a song from the Wizard of Oz to mind... "If I only had a brain".

Lots of talk about our school system not producing talent...the talent is there, it is just there are too many involved not capable of bringing this talent through. I have always believed the adage " you can make a forward but you'll never make a back", and you see this in Ulster. So many good backs that have come though but feck all forwards. Also too many think they have made it just because they have an Ulster tracksuit, the culture is all wrong. Too many jobs for the boys in the academy set up...
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote: Baggy - i agree about Kiss not being good enough, but the pressure tonight came from a shambolic lineout and was very much self inflicted, rather than a Leinster master tactic. It was evident before half time that this was going to pieces and yet we did nothing about it. Which of the coaches should be sorting that out, telling us to win a few easy ines at 2 of whatever. Best thing we could have done tonight was miss touch as the mexicans may have dropped the kick rather than have a lineout.

Bar Henderson, not 1 player in our pack compares to the 2011/2012 pack, with Best and Henry nowhere near the players they were then as age has caught up with them to some extent.
As KOTH said we are an average side. Do you honestly think Gibbes replacing Kiss is gong to make things a lot better on the pitch? Our problems start up front and selection wise there hasn't been that much to argue with in the pack this season. I wish we had a couple of big ball carriers whom Les was neglecting, but sadly I don't think that is the case.

Let's not forget this is Jono's first appointment as Head Coach and whilst he may well do a better job than Kiss he needs time to learn about the job as well.
Two things Bart. When did I ever suggest that getting rid of FOLK would result in an instant fix, that all would be peachy? There is more than just the necessity of him going to sort out, however we are in a shambles largely of his making. We have spent a fortune on players in his time and yet we are going backwards from the previous DOR,if you wish to call him that, or as I prefer, the head coach.

That is the second thing, Jono is the head coach in name only, a device to allow his release from Clermont and I still don’t get his decision unless he has a promise from D4 tucked away.

So we have gone backwards, no question about that, last season we made the knock outs in either competition, this year looks like going the same way, unless you regard the 2nd v 3rd playoff for a semi-final as an achievement. Having been lucky to be in The Weak Section, it’s more or less impossible not to be in that, teams 4-7 are even worse than we are.

As for Jono, he needs to make the calls, there is no doubt in my mind that even stripped of our “best” forwards as he has been for almost the entire season, that is the only improvement we have seen this year, the Daves have performed much better, I cite Black and Ah Fück as examples of players all confidence had gone with, yet they have done considerably better against renowned opposition in the last 2 weeks.

Without knowing who was calling the shots in the lineout, it’s hard to say who carries the can. Did Hendy keep calling it wrong? Did Rory take over? Did Rory and Red both just throw horribly badly? It was a tricky wind so continually throwing long was dumb. I’ve no doubt in my mind that the lineout may not be said to have lost the match but it certainly took away every single position in the second half to win it.

But after all that, it’s as simple as this Bart. It’s not about last night, it’s about FOLK not being good enough. It’s about the utter shambles last season when he presided over a coaching shambles, undermining and ultimately stripping the other coaches of their roles making them bystanders as he took over, it’s about the very clear fact that we’ve gone further away from contending for the prizes incrementally year on year, it’s about bringing in players we did not need rather than filling places we didn’t need aka the wonderful Chaz, and then the apparent bad luck in bringing guys in to the positions of need but buying in broken players.

He may not be wholly responsible for all that, but it’s as simple as this, players don’t get clear messages from him, he’s an angry wee man and he just has not been able to move things in the right direction. Ultimately his failure is simply that things are going backwards.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

And we cannot expect our local journalists to say that, they would instantly be “excluded”.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I think iron man Deysel is made of softer stuff than many think.. I heard someone say before he came he never been injured at Munster feck sake he only played six games for them most if not all from the bench. Munster were realising him and we picked up a bargain and I am OK with that but we have a pack of forwards that are fast becoming a joke and the only thing that might save them is the Forwards Coach or the purposes of competitions Head Coach Gibbes.. to think he left Clermont for this begs the question previously asked WHY?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:And we cannot expect our local journalists to say that, they would instantly be “excluded”.
wish. one of them would grow a set of balls.. seen Donal McIntyre again last night maybe he is going an expose on the BS that is UR.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I agree with Baggy to an extent.
There are things happening on field that are coaching issues and aren't being addressed.
Ie when lineouts go to pot anyone surely knows you secure at 2 or cut the line out?
Don't keep repeating the same mistakes with Haig like mentality.

Just one aspect of many examples but baffling and sums up our lack of intelligence.

However any amount of coaching isn't going to turn Robbie Diack into Wayne Shelford and you can only play the hand you get.

However the truth hurts and the facts are Leinster from top to bottom are better than us.
When a guy comes in I've not even heard of and cuts our defence to ribbons for a score in the first few minutes the sledgehammer of reality hits home.

However major plus is the scrums went well.
If we want to improve that's not a bad place to start.
Get our set piece and defence nailed to make us a hard proposition to break down.

Then comes the fancy stuff.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jizzer, I still can’t remember the guys name but a learned sage in my party said he will be an Ireland player for a long time and has pace to burn, as I think we saw last night. It happened so quickly I personally had a Mayor of Hiroshima moment. Dafuq?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It's pretty much all been said before and I have little doubt we'll be saying it all again.

Fair first half, except the lineouts. Scoreless second half clusterf'uck. We made it easy for them to play us.

Deysel is made of chocolate.
Bowe simply done.
We have no options other than Cave!
We can bleat about our extensive injuries, but when the players on the pitch can't catch or hold the feckin ball, we're beat.

FOLK. He couldn't inspire a fat kid to eat a Snickers.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

This season is shaping up to meet our low expectations. In time honoured sporting fashion, I resolved to take every home game as it comes, forget about away games and "silverware" :roll:, try to just enjoy the rugby on a game by game basis, collect a couple of Engerlish scalps and win the home interpros. Been working quite well up to last night. Maybe we can only bate the Ladyboys in May when they've already secured their home berth in the playoffs?

FOLK
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

This season is shaping up to meet our low expectations. In time honoured sporting fashion, I resolved to take every home game as it comes, forget about away games and "silverware" :roll:, try to just enjoy the rugby on a game by game basis, collect a couple of Engerlish scalps and win the home interpros. Been working quite well up to last night. Maybe we can only bate the Ladyboys in May when they've already secured their home berth in the playoffs?

FOLK
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Heard from a chappie last night that we’ve spent £150000 a year on a guy that can scrum none. I argued that I’d seen him discomfit several SA capped props....... then provided my own downfall with.... of course it takes 8 men to destroy a scrum.

Still part of me is clinging on to that 17 minute highlights reel.

Surely not another one? :duh:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Couple of weeks ago we listened to Gibbes answer a question why could the players not change to a plan b when plan a wasnt working.... I thought his answer was telling he said the players couldn’t even manage plan a....
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

This thread is depressing reading.