Connacht v Ulster Sat 23rd Dec 7:35pm KO BBC2/TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Re: Connacht v Ulster Sat 23rd Dec 7:35pm KO BBC2/TG4

Post by Gary »

My labradoodle knows more about all that than Kiss.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Rooster wrote:I have come to the conclusion that most of the club mini rugby coaches know more about defence and tackle technique than Kiss
Most club mini coaches have actually played the game at some level and give a sh1t about their club and players.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

1 F is a realist a team with a make do back line and Nelson at out half were never going to score the 15 - 18 points necessary to win that game playing with the wind in the first half .
The Ulster back row have been ineffective in defence all year the second row consisted of 2 players who have played more often in the back row than second row for Ulster .The Ulster team consisted unusual combinations which failed to combine as a team .
half backs -- Cooney / Nelson
centres --Cave /Ludic
The back 3 actual performed to some extent

The forwards were everywhere and nowhere as a unit .

in the circumstances defeat was inevitable and individually some played their heart out and the bench was full of inexperience .

While Connaught deserved to win the score line flatters them and while Ulster deserved to lose the score to same extent flatters their performance .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

So much bull sh---tab out coaching if you need the type of coaching being identified by some --tackle technique ,ball handling etc then you have no right to be a professional rugby player.

The coaches job is to select 15 players and have them play as a team .

The sad fact is that there does not appear to be any format to the defence and therefore no teamwork - bunch of individuals doing their own thing .

And since Bell went to England a unified Ulster defence has been none existent and Ulster are being used as Guinea pigs to absorb a Rugby League approach to defence and breakdown totally unsuitable to Rugby Union ..

Admittedly Connaught played the ref through the crowd at everybreak down they were guilty of playing beyond the breakdown playing players without the ball and not part of the breakdown , if the same approach had been adopted by Ulster they would have been penalised -- the crowd would have made it a certainty

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote:So much bull sh---tab out coaching if you need the type of coaching being identified by some --tackle technique ,ball handling etc then you have no right to be a professional rugby player.

The sad fact is that there does not appear to be any format to the defence and therefore no teamwork - bunch of individuals doing their own thing .

And since Bell went to England a unified Ulster defence has been none existent and Ulster are being used as Guinea pigs to absorb a Rugby League approach to defence and breakdown totally unsuitable to Rugby Union ..

Admittedly Connaught played the ref through the crowd at everybreak down they were guilty of playing beyond the breakdown playing players without the ball and not part of the breakdown , if the same approach had been adopted by Ulster they would have been penalised -- the crowd would have made it a certainty

Sorry Rum but that is crap. The coach is there to coach and improve the players in different areas.

Not just to pick a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

rumncoke wrote:So much bull sh---tab out coaching if you need the type of coaching being identified by some --tackle technique ,ball handling etc then you have no right to be a professional rugby player.

bang on rum... I absolutely detest the Andy Farrell approach to defence the man hasn't a fecking clue.. at least we agree that Ulsters defence is non existent and has been increasingly so during the Kiss period..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Logan, he is the one that chose Kiss, so why should he not be accountable ?

When Hump left Logan was clueless and we ended up with a holy trinity of Clarke, Doak and then Kiss ,LOGAN appointed all three and that was after his world wide search, he is a bullshitter, and has to be held to account,

We have a DOR, a head Coach and an operations manager and a CEO who is great giving speeches, but do we need all that management? No , Logan brought BC in ,as before Hump as DOR done the contracts, and after he left Logan started to fUçk up contracts...lets go for Bryn as CEO an another as Head Coach , end of
Now you are talking my language Kofi. Bryn has not been immune to criticism from some here, but I would happily strip out the layers of bullshitters starting with Logan & Kiss to go together. I have previously given Logan some credit for a few things but how can his position be tenable as we come to the death of a third successive season and the reasonably close attempts at doing something under McGlock & initially Anscombe are simply falling apart & utterly out of the question with the current regime.

Logan has presided over a worsening situation, first Dumb & Dumber undermining each other and now what must be seen as the utter shambles of appointing a DOR without a single notable achievement as a coach (anyone citing 2009 GS can lick my beg, just a small part in a very efficient well-coached regime)

Bryn has a lot of credit with most fans, he appears a smart guy & he is well placed to be a bigger asset on the professional side IF he was in a position to call the shots.

I refuse to believe he considers Kiss tenable, even without going into issues of coaching competence, the man is unable to communicate. The only thing I have been clear on with Kiss is that nothing is his fault. Last night the guys didn't stick with "the plan". The only plan I say was a wing - at fullback - & a prayer. Send out a team with very few in their best positions and, albeit there were injuries, go inexcusably weak to a capable team who were never going to be anything but well up for a tussle.

I'm a fan of Ludik but he looked really out of place at 13, of course, Kiss doesn't play Cave at 13. Was McCloskey really too overplayed to risk? He has played 4 games since the start of November & yes he will be wanted for the next 4 games.

Even including Admirable Nelson, who had a mare, would: Ludik, Stockdale, Cave, McCluskey, Gilroy, Nelson, Cooney have looked an accident waiting to happen like the one Kiss picked.

In my view, in times when you are decimated in the squad with only 2 of your best 8 players, you either risk overplaying someone or you basically concede defeat.

Callum Black, the only LH who has not looked grim this season, will like McCloskey presumably be looked to for the next 4 games, but again since the start of November had 3 starts and 2 sub appearances.

Give me Bryn & Jono and get somebody in who can actually coach defence in Jono wants someone.

FOLK FOSL

Ulster are very clearly going backwards, rudderless and seemingly without a clue at the important levels as to what is needed.
Any sense in playing GLU at 12 when Big Stu a rest?
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

I see what rum is saying koth that they should be beyond knowing the basic rudiments of handling and tackling if they have made it to professionalism.
However there are still small technical details that can be refined that can make huge differences down to feet placement, winning shoulder collisions. body angles in contact etc.
All aspects a coach can always improve upon..
That along with inspiring passion and belief combined with an unified organisation would be the elements a coach can bring to defence.
Kiss has come up short in all aspects.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:The Kiss strategy of not respecting Connacht and picking a weakened team was just blown out of the water.
Kiss's comments, reported down here after, that the game "was a bit of a mystery" are eye raising. I can understand how Ulster fans are getting fed up with your league form.

But some credit is due to Connacht who are playing somewhat like their best form and are quite well organised and prepared. Not bad for journeymen.
Whenever Kiss disrespected the Super Dooper cup against Oyonnax away (which cost us picking up bonus point and qualification)I lost all respect for him.

That was the clincher for me too KOTH, it said out loud "this guy is clueless", he was saving his resources so they could go and take a point at Sorrysonsofbitches :roll: :roll: :roll:

I give huge credit to Keane and Connacht, Keane knew Kiss was bringing his weaker selection and decided to tear into us. With that selection, the game was over after 8 minutes at 12-0.

What a bizarre twist of fate, Leinster add Lancaster, Munster have Erasmus & now Van Graan both of whom have also brought their own defence coaches, Connacht get Lam & now Keane who has a very good CV.......................Ulster? Les Kiss :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Sweet holy Jaysus and the wee feckin' donkey, Ulster could fall into a barrel of rose petals and come up smelling of slurry.

You know what I want for Christmas guys? Less Kiss, much less Kiss, I could go a whole season without a Kiss.

FOLK
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:The Kiss strategy of not respecting Connacht and picking a weakened team was just blown out of the water.
Kiss's comments, reported down here after, that the game "was a bit of a mystery" are eye raising. I can understand how Ulster fans are getting fed up with your league form.

But some credit is due to Connacht who are playing somewhat like their best form and are quite well organised and prepared. Not bad for journeymen.
Whenever Kiss disrespected the Super Dooper cup against Oyonnax away (which cost us picking up bonus point and qualification)I lost all respect for him.

That was the clincher for me too KOTH, it said out loud "this guy is clueless", he was saving his resources so they could go and take a point at Sorrysonsofbitches :roll: :roll: :roll:

I give huge credit to Keane and Connacht, Keane knew Kiss was bringing his weaker selection and decided to tear into us. With that selection, the game was over after 8 minutes at 12-0.

What a bizarre twist of fate, Leinster add Lancaster, Munster have Erasmus & now Van Graan both of whom have also brought their own defence coaches, Connacht get Lam & now Keane who has a very good CV.......................Ulster? Les Kiss :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Sweet holy Jaysus and the wee feckin' donkey, Ulster could fall into a barrel of rose petals and come up smelling of slurry.

You know what I want for Christmas guys? Less Kiss, much less Kiss, I could go a whole season without a Kiss.

FOLK
Baggy do u want a t-shirt..
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote: Any sense in playing GLU at 12 when Big Stu a rest?
That's a tough one Lionel. In theory, the GLU should be OK given he won his first Ireland caps at 12, but like Tommy at 13, that is a hell of a long time ago, ideally maybe something that could have been given a go in the second half at home to Dragons or something like that to get an idea. Plenty of other games it should have been viable to take a look at little exploratory switches, but most of them we have been so poor it wasn't on.

In fairness, I don't think it is much more of a risk than playing both Cave & Ludik out of position and in a new partnership, at least Cave would have been in position.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The coach's job is to get 15 players to play as a team
Who does what and how and when .
Identify players weaknesses and advise how they may improve their skills the player then has to work on it but forget about the coach overseeing that work done by the player -- there are to many players and too much to worked at in trying to develop team work but shifting players around the park every week playing different positions and with different team mates is a recipe for confusion .

An old saying

Prior preparation prevents pi$h poor performance .

If you don't know who is playing where until Thursday then Prior preparation is zero .

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:
Baggy do u want a t-shirt..
Only if it's like this Cockers >EW
FOLK.jpg
FOLK.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Bound to be a best seller. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Imho, Ulster attempt way too many "TV tackles" high body position hoping to affect a choke tackle and turn over. To me professional players are tsught traditional safe and effective tackles at school and club, then have to lift tin 8 days a week and learn a whole new technique.

This is proving to be..... Fecking useless. A) we don't have angry big feckers to do it and B) we lose the contact area regardless.

You can still tackle properly like Ludi in the modern game if the next man in is fast and wins the ruck.... Needless to say we're shyte at that too.

As for "Post-10-20-30" defence that most Medallion teams can grasp.... Feck knows what our guys are doing at the breakdown.

They look lost and caught between basic coaching at school/club level to this all new I have no clue what the pattern is....

... It also seems to permiate our attack.... If we have one.... By leading with the ball upright ... Turnover waiting to happen at any tackle.

To quote a fellow poster: Pathetic
Last edited by Cornerfleg on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Sometimes you don’t even know if your playing until you get on the bus.. but yes there has been a problem with Kiss practicing all week with one plan then changing it on Thursday or even Friday to another... has anyone figured whether the publishing of two different teams within an hour of each other for this game was this problem in action or indeed that his post match comment that the team didn’t follow the plan was more the same..