Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

promenader
Novice

Re: Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Post by promenader »

Kofi Annan wrote:A Munster win, would make the final a lot more interesting , all those Munster shirt wearing spides from west Belfast can wear their shirt with pride, the Hatefield on the Ormeau Road will be bunged to the gutters with Munster fans from the Markets, I shall however be watching from afar.
Just doing some catch up reading and stumbled over this nasty little post. Who are all these people in west Belfast and the Markets wearing Munster shirts? I live on the Ormeau Road and walk through the Markets twice a day going to and from work, have done for years. I've yet to see any of the citizens of that area wearing a rugby shirt of any description. I've seen one or two Leinster and Munster shirts kicking about in the vicinity of the Hatfield, worn by student types, most likely hailing from er...Leinster and Munster. I can't speak for west Belfast, but I'd hazard a guess you're more likely to come across Celtic, Man Utd, Liverpool and RoI shirts much more often than you'll see a rugby shirt. Some news for you: rugby isn't a big draw in working class areas of Belfast, be that nationalist or loyalist. I know a handful of people, born in Ulster, who choose to support Leinster or Munster over their home province. They do so because they don't come from traditional rugby backgrounds and only came to the game after it turned professional, when they were living away from home in Dublin or England. They developed an interest in rugby because their mates at that time were rugby fans and it so happens their mates were Leinster or Munster supporters. So, having started out supporting these teams for a few years, they've continued that practice when they've come back home. I'd much prefer it if they supported Ulster, but I don't think it's a big deal. Certainly not grounds to start stereotyping everyone from Catholic / nationalist areas of Belfast.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Totally agree Promenader although it unfotunately it works both ways. I once sang a couple of songs at the 'Star of Donegal' festival and was sitting at a table with my wife and six or seven young chaps. Being Belfast born and bred I recognised the accents and soon surmised they were from St. Mary's. After a particularly good rendering of 'Carrickfergus' in sean nos traditional style they started to chat, which inevitably led to the 'what school' question; on hearing MCB, the jaws dropped and one remarked quite seriously "I didn't know padestants could sing". A great compliment, no doubt, but I thought ' oh, my beloved country!'
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Setanta wrote:Totally agree Promenader although it unfotunately it works both ways. I once sang a couple of songs at the 'Star of Donegal' festival and was sitting at a table with my wife and six or seven young chaps. Being Belfast born and bred I recognised the accents and soon surmised they were from St. Mary's. After a particularly good rendering of 'Carrickfergus' in sean nos traditional style they started to chat, which inevitably led to the 'what school' question; on hearing MCB, the jaws dropped and one remarked quite seriously "I didn't know padestants could sing". A great compliment, no doubt, but I thought ' oh, my beloved country!'
Congratulations on your singing voice! I know only too well that stereotyping isn't the preserve of any one part of our community, but I think that's all the more reason for challenging it when we see it. Despite the progress that's been made in Ni, we still live in a highly segregated socisociety, where it's easy for daft notions about the other side to go unchecked. Unlike you I can't sing, so I have to make do with posting in discussion boards!