Squad for next year

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Squad for next year

Post by Big-al »

any news on Cory Jane or is it all just garbage?
TimGibson
Novice

Post by TimGibson »

I'm assuming if we got Jane he would play wing?
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

Jane would surely play fullback with Payne in the centres where he has been tearing up with the blues all season.

This whole strongest 15 is pretty hypothetical because how many times do you actually get your best XV on the run on team at any stage during the season, maybe 5 at best probably even less next season with the WC. The importance of the squad is paramount and people asking for top class international/ experienced Magners players to be signed in across the board are dreaming. All the other Magners team will be in the same boat duirng the WC and 6N and it's a great opportunity to blood some youngsters, throw them in at the deep end and see how they go, i'd love to see Annett,Macklin,McComb, Porter, Jackson, Marshall, Gilroy, Cochrane, Gaston etc etc get some serious gametime next season, much better to give them a shot rather than bring in some journeymen ahead of them and cause them to consider their future (something which very nearly cost Ulster Chris Henry a few years back), and much cheaper as well, i imagine we're not dealing with a bottomless pit here!!
porterbelly
Novice

Post by porterbelly »

Ulsterscall wrote:Surely Touhy is a shoe in for the world cup squad?

Probably one spot between Donnacha Ryan, Mike McCarthy, Tuohy, and Kevin McLaughlin

Even though Ryan is probably head of the list as Kidney's favourite, on form he's the worst of the 4

McLaughlin has come into form of late as he recovers from his long term injury but his lack of experience in the 2nd row should count against him. This is the lock/blindside position that's up for grabs.

It should really be between McCarthy and Tuohy. McCarthy has been one of the outstanding performers this season. He's played most of the season in the 2nd row and then showed his versatility by switching to the blindisde against Ulster and putting in a man of the match performance last week with Kidney in the stand. He's very durable as well, doesn't get injured and that should stand to him. Who knows though
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Frankly I don't care if none of our players are selected by Deccie, Robinson, Henry or de Villiers for the RWC. In relation to Irish rugby its about as relevant as Sevens. A waste of time, much as I will watch most of it.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Frankly I don't care if none of our players are selected by Deccie, Robinson, Henry or de Villiers for the RWC. In relation to Irish rugby its about as relevant as Sevens. A waste of time, much as I will watch most of it.
Because you think we cannot win it?
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Not now, Snipe, nor in the forseeable future.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Not now, Snipe, nor in the forseeable future.
I agree, but still think we should be in there.
7s is much less relevant, that is totally irrelevant to irish rugby
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Frankly I don't care if none of our players are selected by Deccie, Robinson, Henry or de Villiers for the RWC. In relation to Irish rugby its about as relevant as Sevens. A waste of time, much as I will watch most of it.
I could not agree more. I sort of support Ireland when the Six nations/test matches are on but I don't really care if they lose if that makes any sense. Ulster is the most important! :red:
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

On the one hand I agree but even from an Ulster perspective it is good for our players to be exposed to the world cup experience!! The whole experience stands our players in good stead going forward, so while short term it's not great for ulster I think long term we benefit!!
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:On the one hand I agree but even from an Ulster perspective it is good for our players to be exposed to the world cup experience!! The whole experience stands our players in good stead going forward, so while short term it's not great for ulster I think long term we benefit!!
Agree totally, so important our players get exposed to rugby at the highest level. This is the one problem with what Porterbelly said, McCarthy and Tuohy may be the two best out of the four he mentioned, but because Munster and Leinster players have been exposed to the biggest games year in year out it is a good reason why Kidney goes for their players. For Connaght and Ulster to get better representation we need to regularly qualify for the latter stages of the HC and ML.
porterbelly
Novice

Post by porterbelly »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
Bring Humph On!! wrote:On the one hand I agree but even from an Ulster perspective it is good for our players to be exposed to the world cup experience!! The whole experience stands our players in good stead going forward, so while short term it's not great for ulster I think long term we benefit!!
Agree totally, so important our players get exposed to rugby at the highest level. This is the one problem with what Porterbelly said, McCarthy and Tuohy may be the two best out of the four he mentioned, but because Munster and Leinster players have been exposed to the biggest games year in year out it is a good reason why Kidney goes for their players. For Connaght and Ulster to get better representation we need to regularly qualify for the latter stages of the HC and ML.

There is a case for what you're saying Lurgan, but then you start picking players who are out of form over players who are in form.

While it mightn't apply for Ulster given the SH internationals who are on board and coming for next season, in the case of Connacht , having players playing in the world cup improves our status. It says to Irish players coming on board that they can make the Irish setup by playing for Connacht and that they don't have to move to another province to fulfil their international ambitions. Sean Cronin will be going to the world cup, but he'll be a Leinster player at that stage so the liklihood is we'll have no representation, which doesn't look very good.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

On a slightly different tack can I use the Roger Wilson Barometer to judge how Ulster is progressing with an array of expensive overseas signings in certain positions and also a few more local ones. Wilson left here a few years ago and for some it was a case of good bye lets move forward.

It is only a few weeks since we seen the same Roger Wilson end up on the winning side against Ulster and to be honest whilst he has never become world class he was still as good if not better than anything we had. He may now play in a HEC Final so whilst he has moved on have we. I don't see anything better in our back row than when Wilson played there. Ferris being the exception apart from rarely playing there and Henry, Diack and all others havent really taken us anywhere.

The thing is I never thought I would say that not being his biggest fan but I was always bigoted as he went to Inst.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Cockatrice » Mon May 02, 2011 12:20 am

Henry, Diack and all others havent really taken us anywhere.
Ehh dont want to burst your bubble . . . but . . . neither did Wilson :scratch:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I think Wilson has bought into the Northampton way and has changed his game appropriately. I don't think he is a heaslip or SOB but he's a very solid 8. For me, he's as good as Pedrie and would not take up an NIQ spot.

Don't forget we also have Hugo playin for Leinster - again Isaac is a big loss to our overall squad. If Ulster are going to progress further we need to be keeping our talent within Ulster. Of course, Bowe is another sheep that escaped the paddock.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'