Munster 2012/13

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Re: Munster 2012/13

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Of course Munster will be there or thereabouts but they are quite a bit away from what they were 3/4 years ago. They gave us a good test at ravers 3/4 weeks ago but they do seem a bit inconsistent.

They strength of Munster is that despite losing so many internationals over this past couple of seasons through retirement, forced or otherwise, they have continued to be there or thereabouts in the rabo, although not quite the force to be reckoned with in Europe. But to that end, not many teams will fancy a trip to Thomond at any stage.

I they can stay competitive while going through a transitional phase then credit where credit's due. We weren't able to do it.

As for the split between cork and limerick, that is probably their biggest hurdle. Other clubs/provinces have plans or facilities already in place to provide for their pro teams and academy's for years to come. If Munster dont get their act together they could be in serious trouble. Thankfully our good doc has plans in place that will ensure a production line of talent at ulster for years to come. The truth is, due to the money on offer in France, what are our chances of luring top notch players such as St Ruan, Muller and Afoa in years to come?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Good post DL! Excellent analysis.
Bo***cks to Brexit
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The back line is possibly as good a back line as Munster have put on the field for 10 -15 years but as you say D/l the back row lacks the quality of Wallace Leamy and Quinlan the front five are sound enough but again comparison with the front five of 6 years ago would be embarrassing and there is RoGs problem RoGs game is keep the ball in front of the forwards but that's not possible when playing to the backs -- it was never his forte .

Downey is a good solid defensive 12 but as an attacker he strikes me as one paced with only two strings to play -- similar to Roberts of Cardiff but somewhat less effective. And Earls while his pace provides hope, his overall game at 13 is not convincing. he can gtet it right once or twice in every three games you always sense he would offer greater threat at full back while suited to wing but Munster are not short of wings.

Basically Munster look a hard side to beat .If they get their act together they get try bonuses if the back line stutters then winning will be hard.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

darkside lightside wrote:
Rooster wrote:
pythagoras wrote: If all Munster were interested in was maximising the points return from the 22 league games this season they'd send out 15 AIL
players next Saturday and save their best for Newport, Zebre and the like.
:scratch: Why ? have you no faith that they can beat the Ladies ? and if you need your best squad to play Newport and Zebre then I despair. >TB
exactly, and while it's a nice attempt to rationalise a start to the season which has been pretty mixed, this supposed mindset is the absolute antithesis of Munster's mindset back in their all-conquering years, when there seemed to be such a strong inner belief in the squad that every time they went onto the pitch they could come away with a victory..
While greatly complimented, I feel I must point out to both DL and Rooster that they are vastly overestimating my role at Munster rugby. I do buy the odd bit of merchandise and pay my sky subscription and tv licence so I can shout at the telly when Munster are playing. I even take out the sky card sometimes so that I can watch munster on BBC Wales. But really that's about it.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

pythagoras wrote:While greatly complimented, I feel I must point out to both DL and Rooster that they are vastly overestimating my role at Munster rugby.
well I would never have put it so bluntly :) but as I said
darkside lightside wrote:As it happens I don't think this actually is the case - the problem is that the squad simply isn't as good as it was even 3-4 years ago.
any thoughts about the bit after the hyphen? :D
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

darkside lightside wrote:
darkside lightside wrote:- the problem is that the squad simply isn't as good as it was even 3-4 years ago.
any thoughts about the bit after the hyphen? :D
Well 4 years ago we won the HC and 3 years ago we were expected to. So maybe you're right.
OTOH things are looking up, lots of good young players coming into their prime and a good coaching set up.
I'd be hopeful about the season ahead.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Starting Ronan today. Bizarre call, the hand of Kidder??
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Great try from the Ulsterman
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Connor Murray was shocking. Very disappointing result for Munster.
Major BF from him that led to that penalty and Racing lead (now victory).
Also was lucky he didn't get yellow earlier for that pull back......the French
crowd were incensed and Racing fed of this.
Munster kicking game......awwwwwful! Dug deep to get the lead and CM
throws all away. Kick the ball man and clear it!!!!!!!!
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Connor Murray was shocking. Very disappointing result for Munster.
They're going to have their work cut out. Sarries came away from Embra with 5 pts. The Gunners didn't even trouble the scorers - doubt if they'll be back at the Aviva anytime soon.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

How Conor Murray is even near the Ireland set-up, let alone starting is beyond me.

In the brief time he was on ROG showed a bit of class with the boot. His passing was poor though.

Munster have a massive hill to climb. They can rely on the Thomond Factor to get them the points there, but they'll have to come up with the goods away against Sarries to win the pool, because in that form I can't see Saracens losing apart from in Limerick.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Munster back line was poor starting with Murray every body seemed to pass the ball standing still and nobody seem capable of putting a ball in front of a player to make in run onto the ball .

Granted the pitch was poor and ball was wet .

Zebo did what Zebo can do run at pace with ball in hand gets them a lead only for Murray to brain fart in his own 20 metre area

With only 2- 3 mins to go play safe go for touch any idiot in 4 division rugby knows that every 13 year old is told that .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Today should have been an up the jumper kick to corner type day for Munster, as in days of old.
I understand they are in transition and Penny wants to play a more expansive game but you have to adapt to conditions and they threw away at least 10 points by unnecessarily running the ball out from deep instead of clearing their lines.
They seem to be lacking a bit of quality in key areas and as they are looking to replace the old guard there are no real on field leaders that are emerging.

I know its early days but Leinster look to have missed a Thorn or a Hines type of experienced enforcer.
I would fancy our chances at the minute against them for the first time in a long while.

Thought Whitten had a good game today which was great to see as well.
Ulster men to the fore everywhere this weekend it seemed.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:Starting Ronan today. Bizarre call, the hand of Kidder??
Achhh Jackie, ROG was playing nicely other than the crap pass he threw for Howler leading to a freakish try, but then it all went arseshaped when ROG was carted off.

They really blew that game & if you want a genuine scapegoat, enter Mr Murray stage right and lost the game single-handedly after a super try from Zebo seemed to have rescued them.

Big struggle now & for the first time in a while I doubt they can do it. Still, it wouldn;t be teh first time they have taken a BP away 1st up & made their way through.

I just worry about the back row though they started well today. Paulie looked wrecked after 30 minutes.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Very disappointing alright.
When i thought we'd scored a second try to go 15-3 up it seemed like a very routine victory over an uninterested French side was on the cards.
You'd wonder what went through Conor Murray's mind when he decided to beat 2 french men in his own 22? He doesnt strike me as a flapper and i certainly wouldn't write him off. The tackle that got them all howling in the first half was something he had to do.
Munster are in transition without a doubt. Could be a while before we're serious challengers although stranger things...