A heartfelt apology to Nick Williams

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: A heartfelt apology to Nick Williams

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

TheElephantMan wrote:It is annoying to still hear the fat nick jibes,stop it now,your acting like stupid snobby brats. Nick is a great asset for ulster and well deserved MOTM.............. :blueafro:
Like I said, never said the F word once.. But this is fair debate. And we have two different options at 8 now- one roller coaster seat of the pants, and one steady eddie... options, options, all good. This one will run and run I suspect, but both sides of the debate raising valid arguments, and all positive imo. great to be in this position.
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: On current form, my back row & bench would be Fez, Henry, Wilson
:scratch: :scratch: on current form :scratch: :scratch: Roger hasn't played for months.
For the record, Nick has played 4 matches and picked up 2 MOTM awards.......on current form.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We could micro analyse any players game and find faults, except RP obviously. If Nick did everything as well as he breaks the line, he would be playing for the All Blacks not Ulster.
He needs to improve his work at the back of the scrum and I’d rather he didn’t wave the ball around with one hand, but he is far better than I, or I suspect anyone, expected and can work on his game.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Snipe Watson wrote:We could micro analyse any players game and find faults, except RP obviously. If Nick did everything as well as he breaks the line, he would be playing for the All Blacks not Ulster.
He needs to improve his work at the back of the scrum and I’d rather he didn’t wave the ball around with one hand, but he is far better than I, or I suspect anyone, expected and can work on his game.
+1 great post.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Snipe Watson wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote: On current form, my back row & bench would be Fez, Henry, Wilson
:scratch: :scratch: on current form :scratch: :scratch: Roger hasn't played for months.
For the record, Nick has played 4 matches and picked up 2 MOTM awards.......on current form.
Semantics snipe.. RW has been a form 8 in AP over a number of years, and in HEC.. NW had 2 MOM against mediocre opposition so far, although he can only play whats in front of him to be fair.. I'd say RW has better form over the last few seasons at a higher standard, as compared to NW. Maybe poorly worded, but a valid comparison as far as I'm concerned, and Im judging against a longer period. Also, I did say elsewhere, if NW's current form is better than RW when he returns, then pick him- Im not precious.. but lets be honest, who on here thought we'd be talking like this about NW, especially if we had the choice of retaining PW? No one I suspect.. RW's form was excellent before he left NH I'll remind everyone.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER, you are making a pure reputation selection. I suspect Roger may well displace Nick, but it will not be as automatic as some suspected.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Snipe Watson wrote:CIMANFOREVER, you are making a pure reputation selection. I suspect Roger may well displace Nick, but it will not be as automatic as some suspected.
In fairness, reputation has coloured a lot of the opinion about NW here, even before he started.. With RW out for months now, its the only valid comparison atm.. and like I said, given NW's flaws and what we already know about RW's game, play horses for courses, or the form player on the day.. I'm not hidebound, and certainly from my posts above, didn't say RW would be automatic. Certainly MA has made that clear, and that's why, I suspect, we are getting the performances from the squad right through. Everyone has a shot..
My central thrust is that in some cases NW will be a game changer, and in some, a liability given his current play.. MA is shrewd enough to know when to play him I suspect, when the ante goes up a notch in HEC..
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

TheElephantMan wrote:It is annoying to still hear the fat nick jibes,stop it now,your acting like stupid snobby brats. Nick is a great asset for ulster and well deserved MOTM.............. :blueafro:

Well said EM, needs to stop now if NW took a look at this forum he would wonder why he bothers, thankfully he is a professional and plays for the shirt and he's great to watch.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lots of crap written about Nick with many bias appraisals of his performance. Roger Wilson will have a hell of job dislodging him from the team. Is anyone is seriously making a case for dropping the guy who has made more carries and beaten more defenders than any other player so far over someone we haven't even seen play yet?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

When RW is ready to come back, he'll get his opportunity. MA has shown that everyone gets their chance and whether RW walks into a starting berth or comes off the bench will almost certainly be decided by the opposition, when we are playing them and if MA reckons NW needs a bit of a breather by then. There is no doubt that NW has benefited from a run in the team and getting good match time, but he will probably also benefit from a wee break at some stage. I reckon there's plenty of game time ahead for both of them, and when they are both playing is soon enough to start comparing them and deciding who starts and who rides the pine (injuries to either permitting).

For now it is a joy to have this "problem" as both players bring different strengths to the squad and that provides good options.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote:Lots of crap written about Nick with many bias appraisals of his performance. Roger Wilson will have a hell of job dislodging him from the team. Is anyone is seriously making a case for dropping the guy who has made more carries and beaten more defenders than any other player so far over someone we haven't even seen play yet?
Dave, I refer you to my previous posts re RW- its not as if we don't know what we're getting, and as if he's a long shot.. He won both Irish caps here at Ulster... Would you have said the same re Tommy Bowe, given he has been out 5 months or so, versus Gilroy or Trimble? I think not. The concerns/ comparisons of both players styles are valid imo, likewise the speculation regarding who to start, and the flaws in NW's game. Likewise, RW has his own limitations, but better suited to HEC rugby again, imo. If NW plays to the same effect in the big games to come, my argument becomes specious, but I stand by my "Horses for Courses" thrust, and the fact I think RW will step up with that pack in front of him.. he's made for the destructive scrummaging game we have developed.. it was his bread and butter in AP.
But agree RW should force his way in on form, rather than rep. The marker has been laid, and I suspect he'll get the same introduction as the rest of the squad stars, ie from the bench.. Tasty thought tho.. :wink:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Novice

Post by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead »

NW a bulldozer of a man. Yes he has the occasional iffy moment. But if you try to tame him he would be half the player.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
What's the point of a rhetorical question
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

bazzaj wrote:This is really startying to wind me .
People have to realise what MA is trying to implement which is an off loading high risk game played few places outside of NZ.
This is personified in the shape of Williams who basically says I will continue to off load and if you are not there it is not my problem.
He will throw the passes but people must buy into the fact they have to run off his shoulder in support.
When it comes off it is near imposible to defend and the rewards of this far outway the risk.
Yes I never thought we would win last night as I didnt realise that Cardiff are terrible but our brand of rugby was a joy.
I would be very worried if I was Welsh at the minute but I am not so I wont be.
This is so different a european rugby style as you could get but it has been thrilling to watch.
Bowe and Afoa run these lines naturally but note Gilroy Court ET all doing it last night as opposed to going to ground and the best is yet to come as the whole team will buy into this style eventually.
I am actually enjoying Ulster games now and the best is yet to come.
I love the attitude of you made a mistake big deal, rather than no mistake low risk dour rugby that we previously experienced.
Thankyou MA, you appear to be the visionary I was waiting for.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!
Couldn't have put it better myself Bazzaj :salut:

I had hoped that MA would bring this brand of rugby to Ulster and after last night it has arrived in full force :salut: :salut: :salut:

Everyone better get used to it - it can only get better. Just think what every other coach is thinking right now - how do we defend against this style of rugby?????

SUFTUM AND MA :red:
Finished
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

The high-risk off-loads are one thing and in the right areas of the park they are devastating. However, most of Williams mistakes against Munster and Cardiff were not through the poor execution of off-loads but rather losing the ball going into contact. I've yet to see an All Black do that repeatedly...

Williams is an incredibly exciting player to watch but makes too many basic errors at the minute. protect the pill just a little better and he will be a sensation this season. Against the top sides in the big matches you typically can get away with a handful of errors. At the minute we're making a few too many unforced.

I don't want to come across to negative. I'm delighted in the forwards play and the squad mentality is fab. However, whilst there a load of positives there are things we can do better. We're still a fair bit of Leinster but the gap is certainly closing.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sorry Against, have to take back Gumbie poster of the week. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Prize for the pachyderm.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.