Positives and Negatives: Ulster v Glasgow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster v Glasgow

Post by againstthehead »

re-watched the first half there thanks to rooster. Much, much better than what I had seen from the Terrace. Played that 1st 40 really well IMHO. Some of the hands from the backs was terrific.
Diack was excellent indeed. Kinda scared to watch the 2nd 40 now....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:Negative - recently we haven't been able to put together an 80 minute performance. We need to start doing that or we won't win any silverware soon.
What was wrong with the bonus pointer at Franklin Gardens? The only negative in that match was Mullers injury and Hendos yellow otherwise that's a great match to keep on your Sky+ box!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Joe Schmo wrote:
ruckover wrote:Negative - recently we haven't been able to put together an 80 minute performance. We need to start doing that or we won't win any silverware soon.
What was wrong with the bonus pointer at Franklin Gardens? The only negative in that match was Mullers injury and Hendos yellow otherwise that's a great match to keep on your Sky+ box!
RECENTLY. That game was 6 matches ago.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
ovalballs
Novice

Post by ovalballs »

Was on the terrace when there was jeering at PJ's substition. They were not aimed at Paddy but at the referee. Paddy was having difficulty putting weight on his leg and we were trying to get the ref to spot the problem and allow the substition prior to taking the previous line out. Hence when he subsequently did allow the substitution the jeers. Just wanted to put the record straight.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:
RECENTLY. That game was 6 matches ago.
Wise up.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Hopefully thats what interlooter was refering to.
I cant imagine that our supporters would jeer any player at the minute the way we were playing.
Even in the dark days no one did that I can recall, when there was arguably justification to do so.
Its not in our nature.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

ovalballs wrote:Was on the terrace when there was jeering at PJ's substition. They were not aimed at Paddy but at the referee. Paddy was having difficulty putting weight on his leg and we were trying to get the ref to spot the problem and allow the substition prior to taking the previous line out. Hence when he subsequently did allow the substitution the jeers. Just wanted to put the record straight.
Ovalballs, some of the jeers and comments were aimed at PJ before and when he left, and hobbled past us at the Terrace near the corner to go behind the posts at the memorial end. I can tell the difference.
Exterminate all rational thought
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
ovalballs wrote:Was on the terrace when there was jeering at PJ's substition. They were not aimed at Paddy but at the referee. Paddy was having difficulty putting weight on his leg and we were trying to get the ref to spot the problem and allow the substition prior to taking the previous line out. Hence when he subsequently did allow the substitution the jeers. Just wanted to put the record straight.
Ovalballs, some of the jeers and comments were aimed at PJ before and when he left, and hobbled past us at the Terrace near the corner to go behind the posts at the memorial end. I can tell the difference.
"This is not soccer!"

Seriously though, this has to stop. These guys simply go out and try their hardest every week and it's not fair if we boo them, it's not their fault if they're not good enough. Don't turn it into football where every little mistake is booed and swore at. It's just a game after all.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lot of fairweather fans scattered about last night. Jumped on every mistake right from the getgo without any regard for the conditions. Bit of a sickener when you're in their vicinity. Doubt if much of it was audible from the pitch though as the overall support was pretty good.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
"This is not soccer!"

Seriously though, this has to stop. These guys simply go out and try their hardest every week and it's not fair if we boo them, it's not their fault if they're not good enough. Don't turn it into football where every little mistake is booed and swore at. It's just a game after all.
+1 I can't stand negative comments at our players.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Agree with this BPH. Hendo loses something in open play when at lock, and wasn't really used in lineout either. Keep him at 6, altho' Diack was again excellent until he went off. Also noticed Diack seemed to be calling the throws? Interesting dilemma, based on availability. I thought Hendo's game improved when back at 6, and his drive created Paynes try. Something he singularly failed to do in the 70 in beforehand. Some strength tho for a 20 y.o. Lock at this level is one or two years too early for him imo. He needs some extra muscle.. >EW
This.
Don't get this - no side puts out consistent excellence all season, what counts is keeping the wins ticking over and peaking for the big matches. So far we're doing this and weathering our 'poor' patch with comfortable wins. Can't really ask for more than that
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Nightsoil,there is a world of difference between offering constructive criticism on the internet and the ignorance and stupidity of so called supporters abusing our own players on the field of play.
Lets not confuse the two but I do agree with your summation
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

bazzaj wrote:Nightsoil,there is a world of difference between offering constructive criticism on the internet and the ignorance and stupidity of so called supporters abusing our own players on the field of play.
Didn't think I'd said anything about people at the ground slagging off our players? I agree with you, but think you might have confused my post with someone else's ;)
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Positive, we won and are in the quarter finals
Negative it was a wet miserable night answer shipped a few more injuries
Exactly >appl

I think we are losing the plot here.
What exactly do we expect; on a disgusting night, playing a type of attritional rugby that does not suit us, with a half fit fullback, in a really high pressure match against a streetwise pack?

Some of the criticism of players is total kack and the level of expectation is totally unrealistic.

We won the match and our group.

I go with the Snipester on this one, the game last night was not pretty but we got there in the end , let's get Castres out of the way circle the wagons , regroup and Just get on with it. :fleg:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Nightsoil wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Nightsoil,there is a world of difference between offering constructive criticism on the internet and the ignorance and stupidity of so called supporters abusing our own players on the field of play.
Didn't think I'd said anything about people at the ground slagging off our players? I agree with you, but think you might have confused my post with someone else's ;)
Sorry NS misinterpreted what you were saying as I thought it was in relation of the posts just previous to yours.
Apologies. :oops: