Guinness Pro 12? for 14/15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Guinness Pro 12? for 14/15

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Russ wrote:To be fair Baggy, there are some tom kite pints about

We all like a good Les Kiss

My point was more that, if a pub stores/serves Guinness wrong, it goes south in a hurry, more so than other alcoholic beverages. Probably a stout thing in general, though, just happens Guinness is the only stout I'd drink with any regularity.

QUB Students' Union's Guinness, for example is completely disgusting. Would take hairs off your chest.
It's the hope that kills you.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:

My point was more that, if a pub stores/serves Guinness wrong, it goes south in a hurry, more so than other alcoholic beverages. Probably a stout thing in general, though, just happens Guinness is the only stout I'd drink with any regularity.

QUB Students' Union's Guinness, for example is completely disgusting. Would take hairs off your chest.
Wouldn't touch the tom kite there

This new fangled bullcrap of selling guinness in a plastic glass needs to stop too

Infact selling any draught in a plastic glass is grounds for a milk bottle full of petrol and flaming rag through the windie

mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Spare a thought. My guide on my first visit to the big apple in 79 dragged me into an Orish Bar on Broadway. "Sell Guinness?" says I. "Only bottles" says he. "Bottles it is then" says I. At that point he produced two bottles of green labelled Guinness about the size of Babycham bottles, clipped them into a shaker and set them to rattle and hum for about a minute. He then poured them into glasses from arms length resulting in 90% of the brew being head and 10% being the black stuff. It was like looking at a negative of a Guinness. Totally undrinkable. I doubt that Mount Charles (name or instruction?) would make a disaster like that. :duh:
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I see Mountcharles are advertising for Part-time barstaff for Ravenhill. Perhaps some of the experts on these pages should apply and teach them how to sort the bars out. :stir: :stir: :stir:

HERE
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pwrmoore wrote:I see Mountcharles are advertising for Part-time barstaff for Ravenhill. Perhaps some of the experts on these pages should apply and teach them how to sort the bars out. :stir: :stir: :stir:
As stated, I fear that the problem is beyond the control of the poor sod tasked with handing your pint across the counter. I'll go so far as to call it institutionalised stout abuse! I think a public enquiry should be held before they are upgraded to the higher quality porter.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Spare a thought. My guide on my first visit to the big apple in 79 dragged me into an Orish Bar on Broadway. "Sell Guinness?" says I. "Only bottles" says he. "Bottles it is then" says I. At that point he produced two bottles of green labelled Guinness about the size of Babycham bottles, clipped them into a shaker and set them to rattle and hum for about a minute. He then poured them into glasses from arms length resulting in 90% of the brew being head and 10% being the black stuff. It was like looking at a negative of a Guinness. Totally undrinkable. I doubt that Mount Charles (name or instruction?) would make a disaster like that. :duh:
Anybody remember the original "draft" in a bottle, briefly available in the 80s, before they invented the awful widget draft in can? You poured the stuff flat then withdrew some using a wee plastic syringe and expelled it to produce a head.

Was looking at a list of the world's greatest stouts. Guinness came in joint 43rd.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Personally I can manage to enjoy most beers and stouts and am rarely displeased - maybe I'm just a philistine, or maybe I'm lucky.

Must say though that the couple of pints of Genius I had in the Bayview in Portballintrae last week (and on many previous visits) were absolutely lovely, though.

They must be experts to keep big Darren happy though! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ, living in the hell hole you do I can understand that, but as a non-resident, sorry but your opinion doesn't count - bit like the Jock's referendum. >EW
M&P.jpg
M&P.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

Russ, living in the hell hole you do I can understand that, but as a non-resident, sorry but your opinion doesn't count - bit like the Jock's referendum. >EW
M&P.jpg
You should frequent some of Dominic Quinns alleged drug haunts and see how tom kite the Guinness is

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote: This new fangled bullcrap of selling guinness in a plastic glass needs to stop too

Infact selling any draught in a plastic glass is grounds for a milk bottle full of petrol and flaming rag through the windie

Your once sniffed at opinions suddenly count again, well said pal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:Spare a thought. My guide on my first visit to the big apple in 79 dragged me into an Orish Bar on Broadway. "Sell Guinness?" says I. "Only bottles" says he. "Bottles it is then" says I. At that point he produced two bottles of green labelled Guinness about the size of Babycham bottles, clipped them into a shaker and set them to rattle and hum for about a minute. He then poured them into glasses from arms length resulting in 90% of the brew being head and 10% being the black stuff. It was like looking at a negative of a Guinness. Totally undrinkable. I doubt that Mount Charles (name or instruction?) would make a disaster like that. :duh:
Anybody remember the original "draft" in a bottle, briefly available in the 80s, before they invented the awful widget draft in can? You poured the stuff flat then withdrew some using a wee plastic syringe and expelled it to produce a head.

Was looking at a list of the world's greatest stouts. Guinness came in joint 43rd.
Any link to the rankings Merv? I'd bet it's written by a half-wit and contains great stouts such as "Matron's Dark Arsejuice" or "Madge's Black & Hairy Growler", perhaps even "Uncle Ben's Rasta-Beer". Maybe some great English Stouts, "John Bull's Rancid Monthly Pish" and similar.

Genius Rules.
:stout:

Oh yeah, anybody been in Scotland recently and been offered "A Plunge"? I was at a wedding a few months back & the function room had no draught Genius. This did not stop me insisting they sent a runner to the main bar for stout, doubtless with a few added gobs, but I'm sure I've tasted worse. Anyhoo, this increasingly jaded Jockess eventually said to me, "would ye no tak a plunge? " I initially thought she was propositioning me & was about to tell her that Mrs Trousers wouldn't take kindly to the idea when she tried to describe some nonsense that is apparently Guinness but with some odd mechanism acting as a catalyst to the muck turning into an acceptable pint.

Dear reader I am not a man to settle for shyte when perfectly acceptable stout is a few paces away so advised her, "No, I will not take a plunge", luckily the Diskothekyou was starting to slip into loud technoballix & that just grates, so I made my way to the bar and settled down with a few lads to lay siege to the Guinness tap.

Now has anyone ever had "A Plunge" & how ghastly is it?
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Any link to the rankings Merv? I'd bet it's written by a half-wit and contains great stouts such as "Matron's Dark Arsejuice" or "Madge's Black & Hairy Growler", perhaps even "Uncle Ben's Rasta-Beer". Maybe some great English Stouts, "John Bull's Rancid Monthly Pish" and similar.
:stout:
You must have seen the list Baggy :lol:

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/t ... st-nation

Have to say though, some of these yankie brews are pretty good. Was in a microbrew pub in Chicago where I had a couple of pints of athe beer of the day which was a Russian Imperial stout. When I got up the legs would barely carry me. Turns out the stuff was 11% abv!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Ah FFS Merv I should have known, done by a Yank. You do know that when they say "world" they mean America? :roll:

Bishops Bollicks written by a Jewish writer named Gentile. Bleedin' septics eh?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

nonplussed wrote:
TheSnapper wrote:
nonplussed wrote:The Harbour Bar, Portrush pours one of teh greatest pints of Guinness anywhere!
Disagree, have you ever tried The Brownlow Arms, Comber :stout:
I havent been in Comber in aeons. ano'er daycent drop can be found in Billy Andy's
...or even the Whitecliff......now and again.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.