Waste of a good Fiver?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Waste of a good Fiver?

Post by Russ »

Is it not his ego that has the gravitational field?

We all like a good Les Kiss
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Serge was standing behind me for about 15 minutes that morning and the chubes I was with at the time never thought to mention it until we were at the ground. I still haven't forgiven the clowns.
I'm surprised you escaped the gravity in time for kick-off!
Of Baggy?
Gravity is good at times Russ, perpetual levity makes for boredom in the wind up. :D

However my specific gravity is not something I'm keen to discuss, especially not with one's physician. >burp
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Serge was standing behind me for about 15 minutes that morning and the chubes I was with at the time never thought to mention it until we were at the ground. I still haven't forgiven the clowns.
Of Baggy?
Gravity is good at times Russ, perpetual levity makes for boredom in the wind up. :D

However my specific gravity is not something I'm keen to discuss, especially not with one's physician. >burp
Check above post. Never knew Blanco had grown in size, more so in gravitational ego

We all like a good Les Kiss
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

colind wrote:
Of the team I have no memory at all of W T Postlethwaite, any ould lads remember him?
Another ex CI man I believe. (but I'm not that ould)
Certainly makes sense, it has the ring of "Nordie Prod" about it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BR wrote:
:lol: :lol: wasn't as big a problem in 99......
You can't get near him these days without being clobbered by space junk. Some say the demise of Biarritz as a club is due to tidal disruption and meteor showers.
To be fair the last time I met him (Twickenham Final), he looked like he's lost a bit of weight. I'd hardly develped a thirst by the time I walked around him. But I agree it looks like BOPB have dissapeared into his black hole. (Can I say that?)
You just did, anyway sure with the recent revelation we are all confirmed racists. Sure on this forum we even have :terror: an escapee from the cull of the Black & White Minstrel Show. :roll:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

To be fair Serge though being anorexicaly challenged at the time,was a gent.
I was doing my best impression of Ted from the Fast shows Ted and Ralph when he parted from his minions to engage me in conversation about the game.
Then my mates came over and it all went the way of pear.
Never been one to be star struck but this was almost on a par with meeting former collegians and Ulster prop Johnty.
Top that!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:To be fair Serge though being anorexicaly challenged at the time,was a gent.
I was doing my best impression of Ted from the Fast shows Ted and Ralph when he parted from his minions to engage me in conversation about the game.
Then my mates came over and it all went the way of pear.
Never been one to be star struck but this was almost on a par with meeting former collegians and Ulster prop Johnty.
Top that!
You been getting "clarity in posting" lessons from Rum'n by any chance Jizzer? >EW
Tevez
Initiate

Post by Tevez »

Willie Postlethwaite was a CIYMS scrum half....as wide as he was tall...part of the great CIYMS team of the mid seventies....John Kane, Ronnie Flanaghan, Paddy Agnew, Eddie Grant, David Dobbin, Ronnie Hakin, Robin Bethel, Marshall was the full back I think. They are the ones I can remember....but no doubt others could confirm or otherwise....
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tevez wrote:Willie Postlethwaite was a CIYMS scrum half....as wide as he was tall...part of the great CIYMS team of the mid seventies....John Kane, Ronnie Flanaghan, Paddy Agnew, Eddie Grant, David Dobbin, Ronnie Hakin, Robin Bethel, Marshall was the full back I think. They are the ones I can remember....but no doubt others could confirm or otherwise....
Aye four Irish players in there, I watched that team a few times but even now can't put a face to Postlethwaite. Eddie Grant if I'm not mistaken scored 3 tries in 4 caps. The David Dobbin I believe is a different man to that currently involved with Ulster??? If not I'm amazed for I went to school with the "current" DD and have no memory of David making the school team for whom I used to drop kick conversions, easier than from the ground I thought as a yute. :shock:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

You are right Bagster should have read that back.
What a great side that CI team was but maybe someone like CIMAN can explain why they have not had a side like that before or since?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:You are right Bagster should have read that back.
What a great side that CI team was but maybe someone like CIMAN can explain why they have not had a side like that before or since?
There is something in that Jizzer but you could just as well ask that of a Bangor or Ards man, both of whom had seriously good teams at one stage, Bangor in particular had a great team, best in Ireland at the time when the guys who autographed my £5 note were about in the seventies but whilst the AIL was undoubtedly good for some clubs, mainly in Munster of course but had the effect of effectively killing off some good clubs who never quite made it in the early years and never recovered.

My brother played for Ards so I had an affection for them & they had a tough team with a pack reputedly bigger than the Irish pack at the time, 2 Calverts Barry & Denis, Neville Edgar - a fearsome man - Crosby Clelland who was a hard as nails, Carr & Matthews for a time, Brian McLaughlin too, the Joker at hooker - the man who phoned in to Downtown for some competition and the DJ asked "What do you do for a living Terry?" to which the Joker came out with the classic, "I'm a wringer out for a one armed window cleaner". Wee Mo at 9 & Wes Campbell at 10 who played a few for Ulster, a Moles or two and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

CI are not alone in their current struggles.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:What a great side that CI team was but maybe someone like CIMAN can explain why they have not had a side like that before or since?

:thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Bangors success was more sustained over a period of time Bagster but I think their fate along with others was sealed with their failure to adapt to professionalism even before Iit 'officially', became so.
The AIL was the catylst for sure.
They had quality players but couldn't keep them as other teams offered opportunities and money that Bangor didn't. or wouldn't.
Others like Ballynahinch the opposite can be said

With CI I just cant think of any other club that had such a brief period of intensified success either side of sweet fa
They fielded one of the best sides in Ulsters history producing a one off team of class players that there seems no apparent reason to account for.
Ards had a few years right enough but Carr and Matthews drove that as they did at Queens prior to that.
I think grumps 42 is about right.
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

I had the dubious pleasure of playing against that CI side. They were the best Ulster Club side that I played against and that includes an equally awesome Ballymena outfit at that time with McBride, Steele, Bailes, McIlrath, McMaster, Campbell and Alan McClean at openside.
At CI, Willie Posthlewaite was indeed a fine scrum half and his Dad was a vociferous touchline supporter,... great people. Also worthy of mention at that time were FB Frank Wilson, C or OH Harry Adams, legendary props Paddy Agnew and John Kane, L John Field and WF John Paul. They played Ernie Davis rugby and were a brilliant side. When they were so successful, they probably lived only in the present and didnt look over their shoulder and have slowly gravitated to Q1. Would love to see them back in Senior ranks.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Another CI man around then was Gordon McConnell who also played a few games for Ulster at 10. My father worked with his dad Frank so we went to watch Gordy a few times.