Madigan

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Madigan

Post by Neil F »

Bart S wrote:I'd be amazed if Mads was a success as a 10 at Bordeaux. Sexton isn't holding back his developmemt IMHO, it is more the fact that he couldn't oust Gopperth when he was there which said to ke that he wasn't good enough as a 10.

In some ways he is like Paddy Wallace, desperately trying to be a successful top class 10 when the evidence suggests otherwise. Like Paddy i don't see his game management or decision making being suited to 10. Maybe a solid run at 12 and he could still make it a la Paddy.
Pretty much my feelings as well, at least from the moment Madigan failed to oust Gopperth. Made me think that, really, 10 isn't his position. His skills could well be suited to a ball-playing 12. To me, Madigan's skills and talent are obvious, as were Paddy Wallace's. The question is about finding a way to maximise those. His weaknesses, particularly in decision-making and game management really show at 10. I can see why Madigan excites people and I can see why they want him to do well. But realistically, he never really will at 10.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Have you been copying my posts Neil and not giving me the credit :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

fuzzylogic wrote:Have you been copying my posts Neil and not giving me the credit :lol:
Quite right, Fuzzy!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I see he has a pair of 1916 commemoration rugby boots. Can we have a flegs, anthems and boots thread please?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
moyletra
Novice

Post by moyletra »

While I respect Madigan's right to freedom of speech but his poor decision making is not confined to the rugby pitch...

In 1914 the President of IRFU, Francis Browning raised a Volunteer Training Corps - the Irish Rugby Football Union Volunteer Corps . The younger fitter men formed D "IRFU Volunteer Corps" Company Royal Dublin Fusiliers and fought with distinction in the ill-fated Gallipoli Campaign. The remainder stayed in Dublin as part of the Home Defence Force, an equivalent to WW2's Home Guard.

On Easter Monday the IRFUVC were on a route march in the Dublin mountains when they received news of the outbreak of the Rising in the city. Their return route led them across the narrow Mount Street Bridge where the men of the IRFU volunteers in civilian clothes with arm-bands and carrying rifles but not ammunition, came under fire from an insurgent position at 25 Northumberland Road. Seven of them were wounded, four - including Browning - fatally - before firing ceased.

For those interested see http://gallipoli.rte.ie/guides/the-rugb ... -campaign/

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

moyletra wrote:While I respect Madigan's right to freedom of speech but his poor decision making is not confined to the rugby pitch...

In 1914 the President of IRFU, Francis Browning raised a Volunteer Training Corps - the Irish Rugby Football Union Volunteer Corps . The younger fitter men formed D "IRFU Volunteer Corps" Company Royal Dublin Fusiliers and fought with distinction in the ill-fated Gallipoli Campaign. The remainder stayed in Dublin as part of the Home Defence Force, an equivalent to WW2's Home Guard.

On Easter Monday the IRFUVC were on a route march in the Dublin mountains when they received news of the outbreak of the Rising in the city. Their return route led them across the narrow Mount Street Bridge where the men of the IRFU volunteers in civilian clothes with arm-bands and carrying rifles but not ammunition, came under fire from an insurgent position at 25 Northumberland Road. Seven of them were wounded, four - including Browning - fatally - before firing ceased.

We will remember them.
Sadly this kind of thing is ignored by the "victors"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

moyletra wrote:While I respect Madigan's right to freedom of speech but his poor decision making is not confined to the rugby pitch...

We will remember them.
OK, talk me through it, I'm struggling to see a shred of relevance here. Interesting as a history less but how does this relate in anyway to the oaf Madigan?

As for the history, damn few republicans involved in running D4 in those days, I'd say that irrespective of militancy or otherwise, it would be a veritable nest of republicans these days by comparison. Also irrelevant of course.

Whilst flying on this tangent, and asked reluctantly, would anyone here be stupid enough to be grossly offended if the IRFU choose to mark 1916 in some shape or form?

I'll go first .......... I couldn't give a toss, a rat's fart or a flying fu@k. Mind you, I'd still consider it ill-advised.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

The Easter rising was an important event in the history of this Island. It is in no way remarkable that anyone who was brought up in the republic should see it as anything other than a significant and important step in the foundation of their Nation. They wouldn't and shouldn't see commemorating it it as as somehow cocking a snook at the NI Protestants.

It is a sad fact of life in this backward statelet of ours that so many things are interpreted through the twisted lens of our own sectarian problems. Since SF and the IRA make a show of commemorating the Easter Rising and since the OO and Staunch Unionists seek to align themselves and defend anything British no matter what the circumstances it is automatically assumed that anyone celebrating the Easter rising is an ardent Republican who won't be happy until the Crown, the brits and all Protestants are banished for the Island of Ireland. This is not necessarily the case.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

I think the difficulty with what he did, to the extent that there is one, is that he used the platform of the sport (via boots which were used on the field, to be pedantic) to commemorate the event in what is fundamentally a personal way.

If Ian Madigan is a republican who admires the sacrifice of those involved in 1916, that is his right: however he has no right to use the sport, whether at provincial or national level, to make that point - particularly in the divided context of the Irish "nation" as defined in rugby terms.
It's the hope that kills you.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:I think the difficulty with what he did, to the extent that there is one, is that he used the platform of the sport (via boots which were used on the field, to be pedantic) to commemorate the event in what is fundamentally a personal way.

If Ian Madigan is a republican who admires the sacrifice of those involved in 1916, that is his right: however he has no right to use the sport, whether at provincial or national level, to make that point - particularly in the divided context of the Irish "nation" as defined in rugby terms.
In this case, I'd say it's OK at Provincial level (subject to existing regs) but not at National level.

He remains a knob though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Wonder how many of these were sold?

Anybody seen one worn at an Ireland game?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:I think the difficulty with what he did, to the extent that there is one, is that he used the platform of the sport (via boots which were used on the field, to be pedantic) to commemorate the event in what is fundamentally a personal way.

The difficulty I have with this proposition is that taken to its logical extreme, it implies that one should not use any platform available to them to express private opinions. The sport to Ian Madigan is not really any different to Neil Francis' newspaper columns or J.K. Rowling's bank balance, for example... If someone uses their platform to express views that defy socially agreed norms, one can easily argue that their platform can (or indeed, should) be taken away but it does not remove their right to having that platform in the first place, nor using it (at least in the first instance) to express opinions, regardless of how controversial they may be. It might not be 'wise' for Madigan to have used the sport of rugby - particularly in the divided context of the Irish "nations" as defined in rugby terms. That doesn't mean he doesn't have every right to do so, for as long as the platform is available to him. I can agree that someone people shouldn't have access to a platform (particularly when they have past experience of abusing their platform) but that is a fundamentally different thing.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Unread postby big mervyn » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Didnt even know they existed, but in answer to the question, no. But then again I dont really tend to pay much attention to what others are wearing at matches.

With regards Mads boots, to add my two cents, I couldnt give a stuff what he has on them, its his choice. For all we know, much like yer man who plays Mrs Brown his family could have had some real involvement. Mads is an Irish man, and the 1916 rebellion was a big part in Irish history.

No one gives a stuff about the USA or France celebrating their independance, and really no one from mainland GB cares about 1916, it only seems to be those in NI who seem to be easily offended that have an issue with anything '16 related.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Didnt even know they existed, but in answer to the question, no. But then again I dont really tend to pay much attention to what others are wearing at matches.

With regards Mads boots, to add my two cents, I couldnt give a stuff what he has on them, its his choice. For all we know, much like yer man who plays Mrs Brown his family could have had some real involvement. Mads is an Irish man, and the 1916 rebellion was a big part in Irish history.

No one gives a stuff about the USA or France celebrating their independance, and really no one from mainland GB cares about 1916, it only seems to be those in NI who seem to be easily offended that have an issue with anything '16 related.
Exactly fuzzy. I do not get the major offense caused to those living in NI. There are billboards in dublin to mark the remembrance of 1916, it is not viewed as political by anyone I know living down there.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:

Exactly fuzzy. I do not get the major offense caused to those living in NI. There are billboards in dublin to mark the remembrance of 1916, it is not viewed as political by anyone I know living down there.
And of course it would be wholly remarkable if the Irish State did not chose to celebrate the occasion. I wonder if things have actually improved or gone backwards in this vile wee statelet.

In the late 60s just as the excrement was hitting the fan here, I went on a school trip to Dublin as part of or Irish History study to Kilmainham Gaol and stood in the spot were the "Rebel" I took most interest in James Connolly, being unable to stand upright, was strapped to a chair and executed.

Now my son went to Sullivan & my daughter to Glenlola and I know absolutely that they did not to one lesson of Irish History. I always found that odd, they did study British History and wider history particularly the World Wars.

I do find the, not unusually, flawed logic of the Stupid DUPers bizarre, they refuse to have anything to do with "celebrating the rebellion against Our Country". I wonder why they accept invitations to visit America at all, never mind on "St Patty's Day", since the Seppos committed the self same act of rebellion against "Our Country", just a wee bit earlier. Incredibly stupid people the DUPers and the classic examples of wee dumb Nordies who love a chance to be offended by something.

I must add of course the Mads is a wee tosser,albeit that shouldn't need saying. A wee lickspittle Paddy who isn't good enough to be where he is thanks to his patron, Fibber the Mexican, and never misses a chance to be "Ireland's Gazza", chube.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.