Ulster Signings

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Signings

Post by Big-al »

they can recoup it by trying to get a couple of home knock out matches.

Ulster should be hoping to get into the Amlin challenge cup, we may strike lucky, with the round 16 & get a home quarter final.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Big-al wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:29 pm they can recoup it by trying to get a couple of home knock out matches.

Ulster should be hoping to get into the Amlin challenge cup, we may strike lucky, with the round 16 & get a home quarter final.
We'd need to hope for a handy draw in that round of 16 cause we all know what Ulster are like when it comes to difficult knock out games.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

A decent run in that wee cup could do more for us than anything else this season.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Oi, KOTH!

Do you remember a guy called Charles Effin Piutau ?

NO? Don't blame you.

Utterly forgettable, albeit it was the moron Kiss who insisted on playing him out of position.

I remember Robbie Brink with more fondness, at least nobody ever accused Brink of not trying. However, as he now lives in Cork and supports Munster my sympathies are fewer and less heartfelt than they once were. I daresay he celebrated when Jock Healy killed off Ulster :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 92806.html

Potential to be a great signing. The lad is as strong as an ox and rarely goes backward into contact 👍
Notarealdoctor
Novice

Post by Notarealdoctor »

So It Is wrote:https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 92806.html

Potential to be a great signing. The lad is as strong as an ox and rarely goes backward into contact Image
Exeter fans seem to rate him highly. Where does that leave us for next season then in terms of NIQ in’s and outs? Kitchoff and Ewers in, Toomaga-Allen, Carters and Vermuelen out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If JTA can prove his worth over the next 4 months he is in a good spot to get another year with us. With martys injury and TOT potentially away with ireland there is a serious case to be made for another season. On the other hand there must be a Georgian tight head somewhere looking a post world Cup deal.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:14 pm If JTA can prove his worth over the next 4 months he is in a good spot to get another year with us. With martys injury and TOT potentially away with ireland there is a serious case to be made for another season. On the other hand there must be a Georgian tight head somewhere looking a post world Cup deal.
I imagine there are two options:
1) We keep JTA as our 3rd NIQ, meaning we lose Carter and are unable to sign an NIQ replacement second row (which some suggest we need)
Or
2. We lose JTA, and (if finances allow) use his spot to sign an NIQ second row. But then we would have to look at signing an IQ tighthead prop to back up Moore and O’Toole and/or keep Milasinovich on as 3rd choice as he is Irish qualified.

Would personally go for the first option with Moore’s injury and O’Toole possibly at the RWC, as well as the fact I can’t think of many Irish qualified tighthead props who would move to be 3rd choice, maybe someone like Jack Aungier from Connacht?

Still think we need to sign another second row, back row and fly half (if Mads and Flannery are leaving) but if we already have Kitshoff, JTA and Ewers, they would all have to be Irish qualified you’d imagine.

Though if we managed to somehow keep JTA as some sort of medical joker, that might give us some leeway with the IRFU to let us sign another NIQ. Wishful thinking tho
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

SUFTUM_19 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm
jean valjean wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:14 pm If JTA can prove his worth over the next 4 months he is in a good spot to get another year with us. With martys injury and TOT potentially away with ireland there is a serious case to be made for another season. On the other hand there must be a Georgian tight head somewhere looking a post world Cup deal.
1) We keep JTA as our 3rd NIQ, meaning we lose Carter and are unable to sign an NIQ replacement second row (which some suggest we need)
Or
2. We lose JTA, and (if finances allow) use his spot to sign an NIQ second row. But then we would have to look at signing an IQ tighthead prop to back up Moore and O’Toole and/or keep Milasinovich on as 3rd choice as he is Irish qualified.

Would personally go for the first option with Moore’s injury and O’Toole possibly at the RWC, as well as the fact I can’t think of many Irish qualified tighthead props who would move to be 3rd choice, maybe someone like Jack Aungier from Connacht?

Still think we need to sign another second row, back row and fly half (if Mads and Flannery are leaving) but if we already have Kitshoff, JTA and Ewers, they would all have to be Irish qualified you’d imagine.

Though if we managed to somehow keep JTA as some sort of medical joker, that might give us some leeway with the IRFU to let us sign another NIQ. Wishful thinking tho
Ealing had the highlights up of the recent ‘a’ fixture with Ulster. Few scrums were Scott Wilson looked competent.

Could move Andy Warwick to TH and use Reid/EOS as backup props.

Regarding backrowers - Lorcan McLaughlin, Reuben Crothers and James McNabney had accomplished u20 campaigns last season, some of them are bound to be ready for a few games next season.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Big-al wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:10 pm
SUFTUM_19 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm
Or

Ealing had the highlights up of the recent ‘a’ fixture with Ulster. Few scrums were Scott Wilson looked competent.

Could move Andy Warwick to TH and use Reid/EOS as backup props.

Regarding backrowers - Lorcan McLaughlin, Reuben Crothers and James McNabney had accomplished u20 campaigns last season, some of them are bound to be ready for a few games next season.
Hopefully they can step up and bridge that gap next season then. Would be good to see a few of them get some game time over the 6 nations.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I am fully behind the signing of Dave Ewers. Fits the bill. Big ball carrying 6/8. He won't miss anything with international w@nk. If he was called Van der something from the highveld people would be gushing. Another forward would be great now. Perhaps unlikely. Kitshoff, Ewers and a n other would make a massive difference to our pack.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

The Exeter fans seem absolutely gutted to see him go on their Facebook announcement.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Whilst ulster's need is for 3 NUQ forwards I don't think the IRFU would sanction this other than short term cover if required.

A 3rd NIQ space might be granted for a back, but more likely to be a Faddes type utility player rather than a good outfall who would actually make a difference!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Biggest dortiest pack we could put out next season.... just for the craic

Kitshoff Stewart Moore
Treadwell O'Connor
Henderson Ewers Timoney

Nobody is bullying that.

Treadwell covers the grass like an open side. Allows a slower backrow.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

HammerTime wrote:The Exeter fans seem absolutely gutted to see him go on their Facebook announcement.
It’s interesting seeing the reaction from English pundits / journalists etc - basically ‘massive loss to Exeter and the prem, amazing signing by Ulster’.. which is nice to see - my only reservation would be his age, just hope he doesn’t fall off a cliff, but I’m coming round to thinking this is a brilliant signing by Ulster
..one more thing