Ulster Rugby Residents Association

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I've got to say I'm pretty amazed with the sht being directed at Mole here. COme on give the guy a break - it seems everyone is very quick to tar Mole with the NIMBY stereotype. I don't believe he is a NIMBY - he comes on and makes some points about lack of communication, and he gets slagged off - the remainder of his 'complaints' seem to be in response to the "What are you moaning about?" carp that has been thrown back at him.

The type of disrespect that he has received here only underlines the sht attitude that too many supporters have for their neighbours. Throwing insults here, throwing chip bags into gardens, throwing your car across someone's driveway ...

In my experience the residents around Ravenhill are a tolerant bunch. It doesn't take much for us to keep their inconvenience to a minimum.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:I've got to say I'm pretty amazed with the sht being directed at Mole here. COme on give the guy a break - it seems everyone is very quick to tar Mole with the NIMBY stereotype. I don't believe he is a NIMBY - he comes on and makes some points about lack of communication, and he gets slagged off - the remainder of his 'complaints' seem to be in response to the "What are you moaning about?" carp that has been thrown back at him.

The type of disrespect that he has received here only underlines the sht attitude that too many supporters have for their neighbours. Throwing insults here, throwing chip bags into gardens, throwing your car across someone's driveway ...

In my experience the residents around Ravenhill are a tolerant bunch. It doesn't take much for us to keep their inconvenience to a minimum.
well said BR. I agree.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Mole - some useful info for concerned residents here ...................

http://www.swansea-res.org.uk/index.html
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

Paul and BR

A small tear falls from my black, button like, blinded eyes, as the kindness of strangers wraps my quivering, sobing, velvet body like sweet kisses in a tropical night............

See YM, H'WMike, JackieB and you other cruel people what a little kindness can do for a small furry animal........

I must see if I can get the comments printed out and passed on to my rep contact on the URRA. I'll keep youse'all up to date on what I find out about the URRA's campain and the UR response to their request for communications.
I'm a mole and I live in a hole..............
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Mole- May be wrong but I think that the latest figures ever published suggested that the capacity would be reduced to 11,500.

Yes things have moved on from the 3men/dog days and it is a pity that the immediate area around the ground is so residential. Had there been a better balance in terms of commercial & leisure space then bars, restaurants and other businesses could actually benefit like they do elsewhere.

Regarding rubbish I know for a fact that UR have in the past declined requests from the supporters club to distribute flyers on the basis that they had just those concerns for the residents. I would also suggest that they have some steps to influence the stalls within the ground not to create unnecessary mess. The tented bar frequently closes well before any normal licensed premises and I think that they have a policy on outside stall holders which would create further problems.

I accept that you are not a repeat offender but I stand by my earlier advice that any parking ticket offers the opportunity to provide an excuse. Did you take that up? And what was the response?

As a mole I would be concerned that one reason you came on here was to cause a deluge of abuse and then take it back and present it as a reflection of what rugby supporters think. Can I also ask is your inside position on this matter just one way in terms of the flow of information? For example many supporters here won’t actually be aware of the detail of what plans have been submitted and I for one would be interested in what has been submitted etc?

You have already it appears taken the best course for action by forming a group and making representations to both the police and UR. If they fail to respond as suggested then use the influence of the two politicians that you already have on board as I cannot for one minute believe that Peter Robinson will accept being ignored for long.

Also one suggestion might be that your group contact the URSC and see if they can assist in getting the message over directly to fans. They for one have a magazine, which could carry either some info on what bothers residents or a journalistic article to get a message over. They also for your info have monthly meetings at which the CEO of UR attends and that might be able to present your concerns at lack of response. You are afterall a rugby fan and possibly even a member of the said club as well.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Got some sympathy back there Mole with the statement that you are not a repeat offender on the parking, thought we had a total looney for a while :shock: One's enough with Holywoodmike on the board :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

Cockatrice.............

Thanks for the advice........ Mole has his season ticket(s) burried in the tunnel......

I thought it important that fans know what is brewing. If there was, as you suggest a deluge of abuse it is not a judgement of myself, who posted the original article. The question surely is why was there a deluge of abuse, why not sympathy empathy and understanding? Do the fans really just hate anybody who may have a different view of how UR should be run, either for the residents or the fans themselves? I don't know, only the individuals themselves can reflect on that matter.

Some of the responses have been rather harsh and from the hip, but I do detect a shift in attitude as the discussions have progressed. If as a fan (and a paying supporter of UR) you are not aware of what UR intend to do, then I think that that backs up the position of the URRA in their opinion of the current management's attitude to their key stakeholdes. In any programme of change, the management of that change and the inclusion of key stakeholders through representative bodies is of paramount importance for the realisation of the expected benefits (guess what I do for a living then...........)

Anyway, as I mentioned on a previous posting I will certainly come back with any news I get on the URRAs progress and plans. I might even be able to get a full blown discussion in this forum on the matter with some of the committee members.......

With regard to the problem of the fans being in the dark, are there not fans represented on the management board of UR?

If not, then why not?

Maybe us fans and season ticket holders (who at the end of the day make it all happen) should follow the URRA lead and get ourselves organized and have our voices heard not just in chat forums like this, but inside the hallowed corridors and rooms of UR at Ravenhill itself where we might be heard.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I can see where your coming from Moley. Thing is, everyone has things in their neighbourhood they don't like, whether it be noisy pubs on the Lisburn Road, awful traffic congestion in Jordanstown, dickhead students in the holylands, rugby ground at the end of the street. Some are worse than others. You just gotta get on with life. Ravenhill seems to empty relatively quickly after a game, with most people back in their cars within 30mins of the final whistle. So really we must be talking about a massive inconvenience of passing punters for what, 2hrs, 14 times a year. I would love to live in the area personally. Ulster Branch have trouble talking to fans never mind residents so their attitude doesn't surprise me. Maybe more bins is the answer and a permit given to people in the area allowing them to park on the right side of the road during match days. But again the congestion and parking is a PSNI issue.

I don't see what the problem is in regenerating the ground as it will lower the capacity of the ground. Construction traffic will be around during the day but this is part of life. Change happens, and did you move to your house hoping Ravenhill and Ulster Rugby would just disappear into the ground after a few years?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

JackieB

Let Mole make it clear that he has and will continue to hold his season ticket close to his furry chest.

Mole would find it very inconvenient to have to tunnel all the way to the Maze (although he understands that there may be the remains of older larger tunnels from the Maze that he could use) and supports a sympathetic re-development of Ravenhill that meets the needs of all concerned, Mole, the fans, the residents, and Ulster Rugby itself. Who could disagree with that?

As a small furry animal Mole is however still troubled by the large number of horseless carriages that charge up and down outside his house (driven a lot of the time by Mr. Toad who lives in Toad Hall, Massey Avenue I believe), and cause Mrs Moley problems getting to and from the tunnel with her earthworms for Mole’s dinner. Mole hopes that something can be done about it………
Last edited by Mole on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

lol, this talking in code is making my head spin!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

fyi... in Twickenham, the local councils for the area around the ground (London Boroughs of Richmond and Hounslow) have defined Twickenham Event Day Controlled Parking Zones that come into effect for the larger events at the ground. There is permanent street signage around the boundaries of the zone and others signs periodically updated with the dates and times when the CPZ will be in effect.

Local residents have free parking permits - stickers that must be displayed on cars. Penalty Charge Notices are enforced by Parking Attendants from the councils - not by the police.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Mole

UR are not McDonalds UR do not sell food or drink directly to the public they Franchise those

Other than put a statement or request in the programme there is very little effect action they can take

The same with parking

I think a lot of poeple have swallowed this blame culture to the point that it is a bug a means to avoid personal responiblity

Those who drop the litter are responisible and provided UR provide bins inside Ravenhill for litter and request poeple not to abuse the neighbourhood

What more do you expect them to do put--- a bouncer in your garden

With regard to redevelopment works there is no increase in numbers envisaged

only the upgrading of the facilities which could fall foul of the HSA at any time when the nannies change the rules

And also it helps UR to screw a little bit more from the spectators by charging more for Seats than standing

But I would expect them to come back to you when any major works are contracted out and to assure that the contractor has been contracted to ensure disruption to the neighbourhood is kept to a mininium and that roads etc are to regularly cleaned etc

such clauses are quite normal in contracts thus the contractor is responible not UR
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

bogboy says................

But I would expect them to come back to you when any major works are contracted out and to assure that the contractor has been contracted to ensure disruption to the neighbourhood is kept to a mininium and that roads etc are to regularly cleaned etc

such clauses are quite normal in contracts thus the contractor is responible not UR

It's too late to agree terms and conditions of the construction after the award of contract....... too late to consult and see if the residents have objections or opinions as to how the work should be carried out...... what is the definition of "minimum disruption to the neighbourhood"......now is the time when the consultation should be underway........ now is when I would like to see undertakings made and adhered too regarding construction traffic, hours of working, access routes. No good UR saying at a later date "sorry but its the contractor's fault, we have no say" and washing their hands of the consequences. They have a say and so do I as a resident and rugby fan.......
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

[quote="Mole"]
If as a fan (and a paying supporter of UR) you are not aware of what UR intend to do, then I think that that backs up the position of the URRA in their opinion of the current management's attitude to their key stakeholdes. In any programme of change, the management of that change and the inclusion of key stakeholders through representative bodies is of paramount importance for the realisation of the expected benefits (guess what I do for a living then...........)
quote]

Mole i'm not coming at you in an antagonistic sense but from the direction of a view i would take if i were in the position of UR's representatives. I agree with much of what BB says in his last post here. The residents are not major stakeholders in this redevelopment, indeed it could be said that it's not in any way necessary to consult local residents other than as a matter of courtesy in UR's case and from a planning viewpoint take account any concerns residents have through the planning process.

If the cars parked outside your door on match nights fulfil the criteria of lawful parking, meet the obligations of the PSNI and the access for ambulances and emergency vehicles are observed then it is all above board and perfectly legal. There could be an environmental impact in terms of noise but this has not previously been a problem, litter is a problem obviously but it is outside the ground and UR cannot be held responsible as such in the same way they cannot move on the flag seller who plied his trade just beyond Ravenhill gates.

My point is that UR are not contravening any regulations here and have demonstrated for some time now that they have a concern over parking by organising park and ride schemes, they will also be able to say they have reduced the capacity of Ravenhill and therefore will have reduced the environmental impact. In the example of the Sunday match they consulted local churches, so they should be able to argue that in carrying out their business thasy have taken into account environmental impact.

UR can also argue they are an established business in that area and one that is expanding and will successfully argue i imagine that they need to redevelop to meet business needs.

Residents may feel marginalised but unless UR are breaking the regulations or law there is little else that can be addressed to them that obliges them to take into account the views of residents groups. That said it would be good PR to consult and communicate.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Mole- By suggesting that some of us may not know what UR intend to do are you saying that there is something we should know?

Is there anything in the current planning application worthy of discussion that we may ahve overlooked.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU