Are we making moves?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Are we making moves?

Post by Setanta »

Phil O'Paul
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

i saw this from 2005 about him moving to Ireland
I heard through the grapvine that [Tamaiti] Horua recently just missed out on a deal in Ireland worth big coin. Shame to see a talented player go to waste.. Don’t you agree?

We all know he’s had a rough trot since the girlfriend situation but I thought he’d been playing good rugby in Sydney but hasn’t got any offers in Oz at all. He’s not quite the player we saw in 2003 but still good.

What do ya reckon? I’d have him back at the Brumbies, especially with Melon and Fava gone
Maybe this was us
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I have read that it was Leinster at that time.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Red Hand Hero wrote:They might well get Irish citizenship but the great grandparent won't make them eligible to play for Ireland.
Gives those without a test/A/sevens cap the opportunity to work here and qualify through residency though. Helps get round the work permit catch 22 (no permit/residency without international experience; no eligibility with international cap).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Red Hand Hero wrote:They might well get Irish citizenship but the great grandparent won't make them eligible to play for Ireland.
Is that really true though? Surely if you have Irish Citizenship then that trumps any other requirement. The fact that it may be easier to qualify for Irish Citizenship now is secondary.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

The IRB eligibility criteria does not recognise a great grandparent route.

Place of birth of the player or a parent or grandparent or residency (3 years) only are recognised.

The great grandparent route in Ireland would seem only to ease the way towards possible eligibility through residency.

I have not checked but the great grandparent passport route may not be as easy as the 'headlines' suggest.
Two aspects may feature:
1. Registration by the parent with the foreign office of a grandparent entitlement to Irish Citizenship achieved before the birth of the person seeking entitlement under the great grandparent route.
2. Prior residency in Ireland (Student/Worker) for a reasonable period.
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

Those to have already announced their departures are Matt Giteau, who is going back home to the
Brumbies, hooker Tai McIsaac to Japan, prop Ben Castle to Newport Gwent Dragons, utility back Scott Staniforth, who will be given an early release to play in Japan, and flanker Tamaiti Horua to Ulster.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 01,00.html
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Shame that doesn't read Matt Giteau to Ulster.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Ulster Rugby has today announced the signing of Tamaiti Horua, from Super 14 side, Western Forces, on a two year contract. Horua will join Ulster in the pre-season.

The 115kg, 1.91m New Zealand born, Melbourne raised blindside flanker, can also play No 8. An experienced, creative and physical back rower, the 26 year old has 42 Super 12/14 caps to date, and made his professional debut in 2002, with the Australian side Brumbies.

The same year, Tamaiti captained the Australian U21 side. He has also played for the Australian U21s in 2001, the Australian U19s in 2000, and more recently Australia A in 2003 and 2005.

Described as a "powerful forward, with clever ball skills," Horua will bring a great dept to the Ulster backrow for the 09/10 season.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Good news, dont know much about him but sounds like the type of guy we need, and we're going to need him.

I assume he signed before KO yesterday :shock:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

A masterstroke in PR timing :wink:
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

judging by any westernforce forum I can find they aren't exactly mourning the loss of Horua. Only comments I can see say never fulfilled his potential. Hopefully a change will do him good.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I don't know anything about him but at 1.91 and 115 kg he's obviously fit enough; certainly not heavy.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Does playing for the 'A' side means he can never become an Irishman ala Diack. I know Under 21's doesn't but I don't know about A representation.

Coudl be important re our quota of foreigners.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs ... 9_6640.pdf

There are 18 pages.

One bit:
8.2 A Player who has played for the senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team
or the senior National Representative Sevens Team
of a Union is not eligible to play for the senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team or the senior National Representative Sevens Team
of another Union.
If the A team is the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team then presumably the answer is Yes.