Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Post by backawaygoonahead »

For the doom mongers worrying about if Pienaar will be released from his contract, perhaps this, from Sharksworld, might sooth your concerns:
A story has just appeared on the official Ulster Rugby Union website confirming the signing of Ruan Pienaar on a two-year deal.

Sharksworld reported a few days ago that we had it on good authority that Pienaar would indeed leave the Sharks at the end of the year. The Ulster announcement states that negotiations are ongoing regarding Pienaar’s release from the Sharks, which presumably means they would like to get him before 31 October, when his current deal runs out.

If historical precedent is anything to go by, the Sharks are unlikely to stand in Pienaar’s way, since his mind is made up. Both Johann Muller and Deon Carstens were given early releases from their contracts to take up employment with foreign teams and Pienaar would, if consistency is to be assumed, appear to have played his last game for the Sharks.

Cheers, Pines. We’ll miss you.
Good news day all round then? :duck: :red:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

backawaygoonahead wrote:For the doom mongers worrying about if Pienaar will be released from his contract, perhaps this, from Sharksworld, might sooth your concerns:
A story has just appeared on the official Ulster Rugby Union website confirming the signing of Ruan Pienaar on a two-year deal.

Sharksworld reported a few days ago that we had it on good authority that Pienaar would indeed leave the Sharks at the end of the year. The Ulster announcement states that negotiations are ongoing regarding Pienaar’s release from the Sharks, which presumably means they would like to get him before 31 October, when his current deal runs out.

If historical precedent is anything to go by, the Sharks are unlikely to stand in Pienaar’s way, since his mind is made up. Both Johann Muller and Deon Carstens were given early releases from their contracts to take up employment with foreign teams and Pienaar would, if consistency is to be assumed, appear to have played his last game for the Sharks.

Cheers, Pines. We’ll miss you.
Good news day all round then? :duck: :red:
:cheers: was a bit worried how long is contract was as some reports had it for another season, depends now if he plays for SA when we will see him.
He is playing the Taffies in June anyway so chance to see him then.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

The Ulsterian wrote:Fantastic news, congratulations Dr. Dave you did say we'd have an international scrum half next season.:salut:
also noticed when Brian McLaughlin was being interviewed Rush wasn't mentioned.

But

The 26-year-old Springbok represents the most high profile signing in the history of the Province.

He is one of the game's most talented players.

He won the World Cup with the Springboks in 2007 and can play scrum half, out half and full back.

He has scored 85 International points in 26 appearances.

Crucially, his goal kicking percentage is 90 per cent - meaning Ulster will be clinical from the boot next season.

At Ulster he will play at 9 giving Brian McLaughlin the opportunity the chance to pair him with Ian Humphreys, Niall O'Connor or Paddy Wallace at half back.

Ticket sales are guaranteed to be up; watching Ulster with Pienaar will be Magners League box office.

The Province only narrowly missed out on qualifying for the quarter finals of the Heineken Cup this season.

Pienaar and his International team mate Johan Muller who signed earlier in the year could be the missing pieces of the Ulster jig saw for the next campaign.

The only sour note of the week is the fact that Ulster look likely to miss out on Xavier Rush, with the New Zealander opting to stay at Cardiff.

However, don't rule out the possibility of another high profile Southern Hemisphere player coming in his place.

If the potential targets are to be believed, Ulster rugby fans will have another big signing to celebrate soon

http://www.u.tv/Blogs/Neil-Brittain/Mul ... 957dd31231

Is there more to come?? :thumright:

Holy crap, my mind is going nuts at this possible replacement for Rush. I know we just got Pienaar (what an unreal signing) but can you imagine if this possible southern hemisphere back rower is someone like Rodney So'oialo.

Team might be something like:
01 Court
02 Best
03 Botha
04 Muller
05 Tuohy
06 Ferris
07 Henry
08 So'oialo
09 Pienaar
10 Hump
11 Danielli
12 Wallace
13 Cave
14 Trimble
15 Smith

Thats a top starting xv that I would love to watch. Bench would be solid also with Young, Brady/Andy K, Pollock/Faloon, Diack, Whitten, Spence, Noc etc
Billyboy
Novice

Post by Billyboy »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Billboy-he who posts UR's latest video ditty's....Billyboy=Beaker? :scratch: :shock: Hmmm anyone of Rod So'ialo, Wanneburg or Whitelock (Crusaders isn't he) would do a decent job. I honestly didn't think the Branch would have had enough money after the Pienaar signing...things must either have been a lot better than some would lead you to believe or we're going into the red big style and hoping the gamble pays off.
Wrong RHH - I am much much thiner and have losts more hair but I am from the same club - as are you :lol:
Always ate your spuds....
Ulsterscall
Novice

Post by Ulsterscall »

Absolutely superb news about Pienaars signing which will surely be one the the highest profile additions to European rugby this off season!!!

Having said that, whilst I think Ruans passing, game control and athleticism will be a massive plus for the White Knights, I have some concern about the notion that he is our answer as a consistent big game goal kicker. I know other posters have got his kicking stats for this season and they appear excellent although we should maybe all remember that Clinton game over with very similar stats before proving he couldn't hit a barn door from three paces!!

Ruans goal kicking style has never struck me as paritcularly tight or likely to be easily self repeating under pressure, it is more natural than technical - a bit like baby Humph dare i say?? It does often seem that, unlike the Europeans and Kiwis, the Aussie and even more so Safa goal kickers struggle kicking outside their own countries and on soft, wet pitches in the wind and rain but maybe that's just me? I want to re-iterate that I am delighted with this signing and congratulate the whole managment team on it but would be intertested to hear anyone elses thoughts on whether we think Ruan will be an 80% + goal kicker in the Northern Hemisphere?

Also think that big Rodney or Pedrie Wannenburg would be amazing replacements for the apparently traitorous Xavier - anyone heard anything on this one?
Billyboy
Novice

Post by Billyboy »

Red Hand Hero wrote: I honestly didn't think the Branch would have had enough money after the Pienaar signing...things must either have been a lot better than some would lead you to believe or we're going into the red big style and hoping the gamble pays off.
I don't agree - There must be ALL the Rush money sitting plus compensation from Cardiff which should enable Humph to have a look at decent ball carrying talent.

As was stated at the Ravenhill meeting the three main signings for next year were strategic acquisitions (XR JM and No9) to enable the coach to play the style of rugby he wanted. Remember the side the BMcL inherited was very much a MW side and he had to play the hand he was dealt.

The next few weeks will be interesting to see what develops!!!
Always ate your spuds....
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Billyboy wrote:
Red Hand Hero wrote: I honestly didn't think the Branch would have had enough money after the Pienaar signing...things must either have been a lot better than some would lead you to believe or we're going into the red big style and hoping the gamble pays off.
I don't agree - There must be ALL the Rush money sitting plus compensation from Cardiff which should enable Humph to have a look at decent ball carrying talent.

As was stated at the Ravenhill meeting the three main signings for next year were strategic acquisitions (XR JM and No9) to enable the coach to play the style of rugby he wanted. Remember the side the BMcL inherited was very much a MW side and he had to play the hand he was dealt.

The next few weeks will be interesting to see what develops!!!
Agree with that Billy, although I doubt there is much compo from Rush but there is still his contract value that is now available again.
Another either 8 or backrow that covers 6,7 and 8 would be useful when you think about it as 1F will either be injured or rested for half the season, Pollock still does not look to be 100% and Faloon is bound to get injured at some stage as the lad's not scared to get stuck in to players half as big again as himself
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Ulsterscall wrote:I have some concern about the notion that he is our answer as a consistent big game goal kicker. I know other posters have got his kicking stats for this season and they appear excellent although we should maybe all remember that Clinton game over with very similar stats before proving he couldn't hit a barn door from three paces!!
What needs to be remembered is that most of the stats we were looking at for Schifcofske were for his kicking in rugby league. He was very much a back up kicker at the Reds. Kicking in rugby league is different to union because they so seldom take the penalty kick at goal; the result is that most league kickers are very accurate near the posts because that's where a vast majority of the kicks they take will be from. The penalty kick is much more important in union - it's worth more points than in league and the chances of scoring a try in union are much lower. As a result, a union kicker needs to kick, accurately, from much further out than a league kicker typically would.

Schifcofske was actually fairly accurate close in to the posts but his absolute distance, and accuracy from middle-distances was poor - given that he wouldn't often take these sorts of kicks in rugby league, it's understandable why the statistics were misleading.

Pienaar has this percentage in union. He's already taking these kicks from the distances associated with a union goal-kicker. As such, the kicking stats we've seen from him are a much more reliable guide than those we heard about for Schifcofske. That doesn't, automatically, make him the answer but I think there is a little undue pessimism in your post.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Neil F wrote: That doesn't, automatically, make him the answer but I think there is a little undue pessimism in your post.
It makes him the closest thing Ulster have had to an answer for 3 seasons
Don_Alfonso
Novice

Post by Don_Alfonso »

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Thought everyone should see this:

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/05/28/pienaar-off-to-ireland/

"Sharks refute Pienaar move

Rudolf Straeuli denies that Ruan Pienaar has signed a two-year deal with Ulster and says the Irish club are breaching IRB regulations.

Pienaar’s move to Northern Ireland has been speculated about since before the start of the Super 14, but the Sharks say Ulster have no right to speak to him yet as his contract only expires at the end of this year. Reports on the weekend also stated that Pienaar’s relationship with Springbok coach Peter de Villiers has soured, and De Villiers said that Pienaar is likely to leave at the end of the year.

Although the Sharks acknowledged the move is on the cards, commercial manager Straeuli said it wasn’t confirmed.

‘Basically, they’re announcing something they can’t announce,’ Straeuli told keo.co.za.

Ulster have stated that the deal is already done and that they’re in talks with the Sharks regarding Pienaar’s release date.

‘We’re in no negotiations with them,’ said Straeuli. ‘We have a right to match their offer and we won’t release him, we’re fighting for him.

‘According to IRB regulations they are speaking to a player outside of the window period in terms of when his contract ends.’

Johann Muller’s departure to Ulster was confirmed in February, and since then the club’s operations director David Humphreys has been trying to entice Pienaar to join Muller and BJ Botha in Belfast. Humphreys came to Durban at the start of the year, where he also reportedly spoke to Pienaar.

‘We were well aware of Johann’s situation the whole time. But with Ruan, they aren’t consulting with the right parties,’ said Straeuli.

Pienaar also has a Bok contract until the end of this year, but according to weekend reports coach De Villiers seems resigned to the fact Pienaar will leave. De Villiers has repeatedly stated his preference for selecting locally-based players, and if Pienaar were to head north under a year before the World Cup, his chances would be severely jeopardised.

Straeuli wouldn’t confirm or deny whether Pienaar was looking to leave and said the Sharks would arrange a meeting with him on his return from Bok duty.

Meanwhile, as the Irish media and Ulster have been stating for over a month, they consider Pienaar’s arrival a formality.

‘Bringing Ruan to Ulster is a massive statement of our ambition to be competing with the top teams in the Magners League and European Cup,’ said Humphreys.

‘He is one of the most naturally gifted players in world rugby and having had huge experience at international level with the Springboks, we believe Ruan will help Ulster achieve success over the next couple of seasons.’

Pienaar will feature at flyhalf in the Test against Wales in Cardiff on 5 June, while the Bok squad for internationals against France and Italy will be announced the next day.

By Grant Ball"

Pardon me while I go for a lie down in a darkened room.
Don_Alfonso
Novice

Post by Don_Alfonso »

Yep. Hopefully it's just grandstanding.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Erm his contract is up this Autumn with the sharks. If he has signed for us then he will be coming to us after that date not before it unless an arrangement is made.

Sharks look drunk of though which is understandable
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:Erm his contract is up this Autumn with the sharks. If he has signed for us then he will be coming to us after that date not before it unless an arrangement is made.

Sharks look drunk of though which is understandable
They are not denying that just that Ulster contacted and signed a player outside the IRB guidelines when he was still playing for them, not sure on how exactly it works when someone is heading out of contract but it is in the rules somewhere.
I had heard this yesterday from Saffieland hence my previous ramblings about when he would get released.
Rory Best
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

The only issue here is when he comes.

So the obvious question is when is the end of the Sharks season and as such the latest he can arrive
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

Don_Alfonso wrote:
http://www.keo.co.za/2010/05/28/pienaar-off-to-ireland/

"Sharks refute Pienaar move

Rudolf Straeuli denies that Ruan Pienaar has signed a two-year deal with Ulster and says the Irish club are breaching IRB regulations.

Pienaar’s move to Northern Ireland has been speculated about since before the start of the Super 14, but the Sharks say Ulster have no right to speak to him yet as his contract only expires at the end of this year. Reports on the weekend also stated that Pienaar’s relationship with Springbok coach Peter de Villiers has soured, and De Villiers said that Pienaar is likely to leave at the end of the year.

Although the Sharks acknowledged the move is on the cards, commercial manager Straeuli said it wasn’t confirmed.

‘Basically, they’re announcing something they can’t announce,’ Straeuli told keo.co.za.

Ulster have stated that the deal is already done and that they’re in talks with the Sharks regarding Pienaar’s release date.

‘We’re in no negotiations with them,’ said Straeuli. ‘We have a right to match their offer and we won’t release him, we’re fighting for him.

‘According to IRB regulations they are speaking to a player outside of the window period in terms of when his contract ends.’

Johann Muller’s departure to Ulster was confirmed in February, and since then the club’s operations director David Humphreys has been trying to entice Pienaar to join Muller and BJ Botha in Belfast. Humphreys came to Durban at the start of the year, where he also reportedly spoke to Pienaar.

‘We were well aware of Johann’s situation the whole time. But with Ruan, they aren’t consulting with the right parties,’ said Straeuli.

Pienaar also has a Bok contract until the end of this year, but according to weekend reports coach De Villiers seems resigned to the fact Pienaar will leave. De Villiers has repeatedly stated his preference for selecting locally-based players, and if Pienaar were to head north under a year before the World Cup, his chances would be severely jeopardised.

Straeuli wouldn’t confirm or deny whether Pienaar was looking to leave and said the Sharks would arrange a meeting with him on his return from Bok duty.

Meanwhile, as the Irish media and Ulster have been stating for over a month, they consider Pienaar’s arrival a formality.

‘Bringing Ruan to Ulster is a massive statement of our ambition to be competing with the top teams in the Magners League and European Cup,’ said Humphreys.

‘He is one of the most naturally gifted players in world rugby and having had huge experience at international level with the Springboks, we believe Ruan will help Ulster achieve success over the next couple of seasons.’

Pienaar will feature at flyhalf in the Test against Wales in Cardiff on 5 June, while the Bok squad for internationals against France and Italy will be announced the next day.

By Grant Ball"

Pardon me while I go for a lie down in a darkened room.
As Rooster said in the thread about BJ leaving.....
Rooster wrote:If you believe all you read on Keo you would believe all you read on the rumours thread here.
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!