Cheerleaders ..... ?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

The FRU
Squire

Re: Cheerleaders ..... ?

Post by The FRU »

aarons wrote:
Maybe instead the branch could do something progressive and helpful to the game like putting women's games on before ulster games held on a Saturday...
I do believe that Ulster Women are pushing for this very thing for one of their inter-provincials next season so any support for this would be very welcome.

The likes of City of Derry, Harlequins and of course Cooke Ladies are making great strides this season and deserve a bigger audience.

You can of course follow the local Women's game here http://women.thefru.co.uk/frumu/
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

sounds like a great idea - but would it not cut up the pitch? perhaps in autumn and spring we'd get away with it?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

moondance wrote:bangorboy,

I personally don't see why cheerleaders or dancers are needed at Ravenhill or any other rugby ground.

It wouldn't worry me if they never appeared again. I just didn't like such a bitchy, self righteous, hypocritical post.
The type of thing you would never stoop to of course. You are of course correct in every detail but you really do appear to have it in for the unfortunate ulstergal09 :( Your post seems a bit OTT, malevolent and the product of a misogynistic mind. I hope I am wrong, though as you will appreciate , I seldom am :wink:

May as well state my opinion whilst I'm here. I am of course a qualified dancer myself, mainly "dad dancing" but having been a bit of a punk fan in an earlier life I can "pogo" with the best of them. Quite what qualifications I hold, I just don't remember but I am considering an appearance on Ulsters got talent.

If they become a regular thing I reckon it could become pretty irritating. Seemed fairly uncoordinated albeit it was their first outing but fair play to them - just not my thing, especially at a rugby match. Mind you one or two could give Nani a run for his money with the backflips - made my old back ache watching it.

I was mortified for the idiots who where wolf-whistling in my vicinity, 40 -50 year olds to a man, but then perhaps they have had a pretty sheltered life & have no objection to appearing like sad old gits..

Can't imagine that it was exactly what HWM had in mind during all those testosterone fuelled dreams of cheerleaders at Ravenhill.

Baseball got rid of cheerleaders in the late 50s or early 60s from memory - Ulster introduce them 50 years later. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: The mini-rugby at half time was entertaining, the cheerleaders not so much.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

SparkyClarky wrote:God help them!

Off to a bad start when one of the blondes with long hair nearly fell over just simply doing a cartwheel on the entrance. Out of sync with each other for most of the routine but in all fairness, when you are so far rom the PA & with timelag etc in a big Arena it can be difficult!

I was so far away that i couldnt get a good look at them but after a visit to the website i am happy enough with that!

But! They were there and we won with a great performance, so maybe they should come back for another practice!!! :cheers:
And how are your cartwheels my young friend? Do demonstrate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A few points :flower:
They only got together a few weeks ago, the likes of the Sharks cheerleaders have been at this for years and I'm sure new girls would join a few at a time with the previous ones to keep the show in time etc

Probably practised in a hall somewhere and not actually on the turf at Ravenhill, solid floor walls near to give lines etc versus large open space and spongy pitch

Music coming from back of a van at far side plus pa system in old stand, again probably never set up by a sound engineer and more than likely when you were on the pitch coming at you not only from 2 directions but possibly a time lag between the two.

Quite possibly some if not most have never performed in front of a large crowd of dubious looking eejits before, bound to be hard to concentrate looking at some of the beer guts standing on the prom and terrace.

Some of the comments on this thread are just plain rude, bitchy and uncalled for, lighten up a bit, enjoy life and get back next week to roar for Ulster :red:

Ladies match before a Saturday match, bring it on :thumleft: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Rooster wrote:Some of the comments on this thread are just plain rude, bitchy and uncalled for, lighten up a bit, enjoy life and get back next week to roar for Ulster
Saves me bothering to type very much!! If you dont like them, go have a beer, if you do like them then stay & cheer, doesnt sound too difficult even for some of you lot :D :D
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

brianc wrote:
Rooster wrote:Some of the comments on this thread are just plain rude, bitchy and uncalled for, lighten up a bit, enjoy life and get back next week to roar for Ulster
Saves me bothering to type very much!! If you dont like them, go have a beer, if you do like them then stay & cheer, doesnt sound too difficult even for some of you lot :D :D
I wouldn't go to the bookies looking odds on that brian.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:
brianc wrote:
I wouldn't go to the bookies looking odds on that brian.
was thinking the same myself - you need still to give step by step instructions for the ones who don't like cheerleaders OR beer :wink:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

My other half's sole comment... "It's nigh on impossible to dance on grass". She teaches dancing, mostly charleston/swing/lindy. The qualification is something like 'Oxford & Cambridge Exercise to Music" if anyone really gives a feck.

I've watched routines from amateur troupes at various dance events and have to say that they're seldom particularly polished looking, there are exceptions. From what I saw of them the Rockettes performance was about average for those who dance SAS (Saturdays And Sundays).

As to whether it 'belongs' at rugby or not.... For better or worse the game is no longer just about what happens with the hairy blokes on the pitch, the fanbase is no longer a few thousand chaps with a pint of stout and a bag of extra strong mints each. There's bands in the bar, the PA plays soft rock, a bear wanders around the sidelines, Imperial Stormtroopers need to find the droids they're looking for and.... Girlies prance about the place. A match is now an event, not just a game of a rugby.

I don't see any difficulty involved in not watching them if it isn't your thing. Hang on in the beer tent for another five minutes and catch an extra Neil Diamond cover and another half of mild.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

They're more of a dance act than cheerleaders but i have no real issues with them whatsoever except to say i wondered how they got the gig with them being so poor.
Do they have contacts within U/R...are they being paid or is this a helping hand with exposure?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

browner wrote:a helping hand with exposure
Dont think there would be a problem with organising this :shock:

Oops, just got all sexist etc, bad boy, go to your room :(
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Brian...i don't think these wee girls are interested in marshmallows.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

FFS, the girls aren't doing any harm to anyone. Let them get on with it and they'll improve as they get used to it. I like the more exposure bit too, but then I'm at that "certain age". I'm happy admitting it as I don't have a MrsC chasing me with a great, big frying-pan - unlike Brian :D
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
ulstergal09
Novice

Post by ulstergal09 »

moondance wrote:as I've already replied to bangorboy, it wouldn't worry me if they never appeared again.
So why the need to lambast my post then? :scratch:
"No leadership, no ideas. Not even enough imagination to thump someone in the line-up when the ref wasn't looking."
ulstergal09
Novice

Post by ulstergal09 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
ulstergal09 wrote:Well, if you want to go down that road, yes actually. I was a qualified dancer for four years, performing in shows and competitions throughout Ireland and the UK.. Anything else?
I don't really want to enter this debate - I was there in time to see the performance (just), but didn't actually watch it as it was of no interest to me, so I cannot comment on the quality or otherwise, and I don't actually care if they do or do not come back - if they want to do it, fine, they do no harm, but if they don't come back, I certainly won't miss them.

What I am intrigued about though is your assertion that you WERE a "qualified dancer" for four years. I can understand a qualified dance teacher, or how you can "train" as a dancer, but am interested in how you qualify as a dancer, and how that qualification is time limited? Purely out of curiosity, you understand - I have no inclination in pursuing such a qualification, and certainly no talent that would allow me to do so even if I wanted to.
But you decided to comment anyway? :lol:

My assertion as you referred to it, comes in the way of a recognised degree in sport and dance therapy, and subsequently working towards different diplomas and qualifications thereafter. It may not necessarily be ‘time limited’ but since I no longer compete/perform as a dancer, I don't see the need in still saying "I'm a qualified dancer". Hope this clears that up for you?
"No leadership, no ideas. Not even enough imagination to thump someone in the line-up when the ref wasn't looking."