Should Clancy referee another Ulster Game ?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

George Clancy Referee

I would not be happy to see George Clancy refereeing Ulster again
90%
I would happy to see George Clancy refereeing Ulster again if He apologised
No votes
Hes doing a grand job very fair and unbiased decisions in a difficult match
10%

Total votes: 51

namron
Warrior Chief

Re: Should Clancy referee another Ulster Game ?

Post by namron »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Despite the obvious fact that we all see refs actions from a natural bias in favour of our own team, having rewatched the game at great personal harm, there is no doubt in my mind that he did not ref the same situations evenly for both teams.

I would be embarrassed it UR even considered an official complaint. Authorities must back refs whether they are right or wrong, if not there will no refs. So when we see performances like Arrogant George gave on Friday we have to suck it up and chalk it up to experience. :banghead:
I think the unofficial route of complaint has already been taken Baggy and yes Referees are generally backed by their employers to a point .But surely as with the Shannon RFC fiasco and now this I would think that the IRFU would show some prudence and keep him away from Ulster games. It is not fair or fitting for this great game that players and spectators have this cretin de facto deciding the result by his bigoted nature .
A friend who shall remain nameless thought that he should receive the OBE for his efforts. When I enquired why that honour He replied no no the lesser honour - `one behind the ear` :lol:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

namron wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Despite the obvious fact that we all see refs actions from a natural bias in favour of our own team, having rewatched the game at great personal harm, there is no doubt in my mind that he did not ref the same situations evenly for both teams.

I would be embarrassed it UR even considered an official complaint. Authorities must back refs whether they are right or wrong, if not there will no refs. So when we see performances like Arrogant George gave on Friday we have to suck it up and chalk it up to experience. :banghead:
I think the unofficial route of complaint has already been taken Baggy and yes Referees are generally backed by their employers to a point .But surely as with the Shannon RFC fiasco and now this I would think that the IRFU would show some prudence and keep him away from Ulster games. It is not fair or fitting for this great game that players and spectators have this cretin de facto deciding the result by his bigoted nature .
A friend who shall remain nameless thought that he should receive the OBE for his efforts. When I enquired why that honour He replied no no the lesser honour - `one behind the ear` :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I don't think Clancy goes out specifically saying "I will award _ number of penalties against Ulster tonight" - I just think he looked for our mistakes a lot closer than he did for Caadiff's. Most of the times he penalised us was because Caadiff were stopping us getting the ball back, or were standing offside. He only awarded us a penalty when it was blatantly obvious.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The problem is we don't like referees

Scottish referee anyone ?
Italian referee anyone?
Clancy for referee anyone?
Rollain for referee anyone ?
Rolly Fitz for referee anyone?

How about some cross eyed welsh men ?(excluding Nigel) or even an English man Pearson or Barnes ?

whose left ?

No the fact is we all referee the game and because infringements are many refs see many and call few we see the ones they don't call .
No I just think refs should be told to read message boards ( maybe they do ) watch a recording and assess as to whether those on the message boards have a valid grievance as to the points made maybe then they might improve both as referees and assistant refs.

I do think assistant refs have a part to play in calls for ==offside == scrummage infringements === forward passes === foul play ( violent ) == offences against the person (playing a man without the ball - mid field blocking etc)
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Is there not a rule that refs from the same country as one of the teams cannot ref that match? What happened to that?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

ruckover wrote:Is there not a rule that refs from the same country as one of the teams cannot ref that match? What happened to that?
Binned that years ago - they couldn't find enough Scottish refs of a high enough standard. :shock:

EDIT: 2007 forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6266&p=107922
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

They should bring it back imo, also heightens our chances of getiing Owens as ref a bit :D
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I don't think that will happen but it has to be said that there are some very good refs out there. I would rank the Irish ones as Rolland, Lacey, Fitzgibbon (never thought I'd say that), Clancy and Phillips, from best to worst What's the betting that we get James Jones on Friday?
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rocky wrote:I don't think that will happen but it has to be said that there are some very good refs out there. I would rank the Irish ones as Rolland, Lacey, Fitzgibbon (never thought I'd say that), Clancy and Phillips, from best to worst What's the betting that we get James Jones on Friday?
Has Alan Lewis retired? I'd put him second place behind Rolland.

I'd still prefer James Jones ahead of Clancy or Peter Allen - but I'd take ANYONE ahead of thon pair :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think Fitzgibbon has come on in leaps and bounds and I used to think he was a bigger liabilty than Fudley Philips
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:I think Fitzgibbon has come on in leaps and bounds
Agreed.

I also was coming round to that way of thinking about Clancy in non-Ulster matches, but until he has refereed Ulster even handedly many times, he will not get my vote. I think he has the makings of a good referee if he could apply his skills evenly to all teams.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I don't disagree with that, LK, but I can't get past that disgrace on Friday (yet) so that's why I had Fitzgibbon ahead of Clancy for the first time. The Rabo panel also has a Leo Colgan and our own David Wilkinson from Ireland. Yes, Grumps, I'm sorry to say that Alan Lewis has retired - he was a superb ref in the mould of Hilditch and Templeton.
I see the ref for Friday is a Welshman called Neil Hennessy (Irish roots, I guess) but unfortunately one of the linesmen is the afore-mentioned Mr Dudley Phillips. LK, you need some Valium or several pints of stout before the match because I'd be prepared to bet that he gets involved at some point and it won't be to our benefit.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Lets make some noise and give them as much` help` as possible in making the correct decisions .We deserve the rub of the green after last weeks pogrom.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

namron wrote:Lets make some noise and give them as much` help` as possible in making the correct decisions .We deserve the rub of the green after last weeks pogrom.
If they judged the decisions this week on how many we got last week then it would be all too easy :mrgreen:
ulsterfleg
Novice

Post by ulsterfleg »

Mr Clancy is a lovely fellow and such a great referee, all the Ulster fans should get behind Mr Clancy as he does a very hard job very fairly.
It is very unfair to judge someone with an outstanding history of fair with solomon like fair consideration.
After all it is only a game.
I look forward to welcoming Mr Clancy to Ravenhill for his next game were I am sure he will be even handed and just as fair as he always is to Ulster and their opponents.
This thread just reminds me off being back at school the smell of the grass freshly cut the sound of birds singing and ten deals the size of mars bars.
From my window here in my warm padded room in Knockbraken Health Park I can see lots of lovely coloured ambulances dancing on there way to help all the fairies no matter what club they support.
Keep it real and support Mr Clancy for Munster game....