Summer Tour

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

petey11
Novice

Re: Summer Tour

Post by petey11 »

I know we need our strongest contingent going to NZ but a blind man on a galloping horse can see that 1F needs a lenghty break from rugby. The problem is that DK is a blind man on a sauntering pig. The fact he's chosen Zebo over Gilroy and ROG over anybody backs that up.
It won't matter anyway, with Kidney at the helm we can only ever be steamrollered by the All Blacks.

Still, I'll enjoy the tour from my armchair vantage point.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Zebo is a natural choice of DK -- pace and aggression -- Gilroy doesn't give the spectator the same evidence of those qualities

Personally I believe Zebo is greatly over rated at provencial level due to running in unopposed trys and when called upon to defend frequentally appears bemused and confused but unless someone is injured I can't actually see him wearing a match jersey a working holiday in a foreign land holding tacklebags for Zebo.And to be honest I don't see either Zebo or Gilroy as future Internationals too many alternatives . Zebo is only there because Bowe and Fitzgerald are injured.

Similiarly RoG and DoC swan song foreign holidays holding tacklebags I would very surprised if they are called upon to start a game unless Sexton is injured Ian Madigan is not centrally contracted and untested at International level and Jackson's away with U20s Keatley has played himself out of contention at the moment. Of the two DoC is more likely to get a game.

The an others maybe interesting calls in the backs it could be between D Kearney and Boss and with three forwards could be anybody but my guess would be one is there for PoC if he heals in time .

The party picked is very much as expected some are there on merit and some because the replacements are not ready
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Have I missed something? Why is court not going?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:Have I missed something? Why is court not going?
Injured after final, as to the rest of the Ulster players, I would rather they all stayed home with a new incoming coach to do a healthy preseason rather than come back dejected and have to play catch up to new systems , game plans etc.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Hurt Saturday - "Tom Court is excluded following injury to his hand sustained during the Heineken Cup Final on Saturday" :(
Finished
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Zebo is going to get shown up badly in NZ.

Slap it into him
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Hadn't been aware of that.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Selection is more or less as expected.

Fitzpatrick has shown he deserves a chance when covering for Afoa.

DOC wouldn't be there only that there's no other alternatives pushing for inclusion in the Top 4 second rows. If POC is OK it will be POC/DOC with Ryan on the bench which is utter stupidity.

Both POM and Henry can play all backrow positions so it will be an interesting bench call, assuming Henry is named of course.

Scrum half is an easy pick for DK. He'll just have Murray start all the games with Reddan on the bench. It won't matter how each perform unfortunately.

ROG is finished in my opinion. He can still kick goals but I think his time has come. Problem is none of the rest have enough provincial experience at H Cup level even.

Zebo is a player I have questions about. He is fine when running in a straight line as he has great speed but put something in his way and he is done for. He needs to do an intensive course on exception management so he can develop a process to deal with the natural obstacles stopping him from getting to the try line. They could also teach him how to look for support. Of course he wouldn't tackle an old granny. I don't think he'd have scored the try Gilroy scored in Thomond Park but Gilroy equally wouldn't have scored some of the tries Zebo got this year. Gilroy also wouldn't tackle a granny so using Zebo's defensive frailties as a reason to bring Gilroy instead of him is a waste of time. Basically neither of them are ready for international rugby at this moment but one is going over to watch the games while the other watches on from home.

The backline is almost certain to be Murray, Sexton, Darcy, BOD, Trimble, Earls, Kearney with Reddan, ROG and McFadden on the bench. Only if we are annnihilated in the first game will this change even a bit and even then it would be a a source of pain for DK to step into the unknown.

If I had my way the following players would not be in NZ....Ferris,POC and BOD because they are three of our best players and all will be needed next year for the 6N and could do with the time off now. However I'll bet none of them would want to give up a 3 test battle in NZ for a seat by the fire the competitive old feckers. :D

I'd nearly chance Earls and Cave in the centre to see how it goes with Trimble and McFadden on the wings and Kearney at 15 and probably go with Dave Kearney and Darcy on the bench in case Earls can't manage as a 12. McFadden can cover 10 in an emergency.No harm in trying shíte out on a tour even if you think it may not work. Some of the greatest things happen by accident rather than design.

Gwan ta feck.

>TH >TH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote: Only if we are annnihilated in the first game will this change even a bit
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yer quare oul craic Shan
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Ah go on Snipe. No matter what evidence is presented to me, even by myself, I always have that old bit of hope that we can do it. Shur there's no point in the whole thing if you can't convince yerself that we have a slightly better chance than a snowball has in hell. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:Ah go on Snipe. No matter what evidence is presented to me, even by myself, I always have that old bit of hope that we can do it. Shur there's no point in the whole thing if you can't convince yerself that we have a slightly better chance than a snowball has in hell. :D
I know what you mean. I was convinced we'd win on Saturday.
I had a whole rationale and victory plan developed around specific matchups and how they would go...........and we know how that went..................
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing nothing bad about Gilroys defence? As long as he has Cave outside of him he generally tackles well enough for a wee lad, miles better than Zebo who doesnt even attempt to get in the way most of the time. So if he has someone to tell him where to go like Cave or BOD etc I would think he would be fine.

Also take into consideration that neither Trimble or Bowe are still great tacklers at 27/28 and look how good they are now....
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Rovi Snave wrote:
Hurt Saturday - "Tom Court is excluded following injury to his hand sustained during the Heineken Cup Final on Saturday" :(
He fractured a thumb after 10 minutes on Saturday, any wonder we were just holding our own in the scrum as he had difficulty binding.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Fez should not even be on the squad, his leg looked wrecked yesterday on the way home, play him now and he will probably miss most of the season with Ulster but Kidney does not give a brad pitt anyway
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

That helps explain the against the head in the build up to their second try.