UAFC guide to Twickenham

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by mikerob »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Another one for Mikerob (or anyone else who knows London).

Our current plan to to get out early to Twickenham ie getting on train at Waterloo about 12noon and going straight to Twickenham for a pint or two in a pub and then into "village" near ground by 3pm at latest. None of this getting off at Richmond stuff we first thought of.

So, meeting up with our lot who are coming from various parts of London, should we either
A- just arrange to meet at a bar inside Waterloo Station (how many bars are there inside the station?) OR
B- are there any decent pubs within say 200 yards of Waterloo that would be a good rendevous point?

Cheers

ps is drinking tins of beer on the train ok ?
There are 3 bars inside Waterloo station... a pub called the Wellesley at one end, near the escalators to the Jubilee line, another bar-type place called Bonapartes at the opposite end of the station and a bar-type place with a name I can't remember in the middle, upstairs overlooking the platforms. Of the 3, the Wellesley is probably the best but none are that great - they are places to grab a quick drink before getting a train rather than linger...

There are a few ok pubs I know round about Waterloo and can give you the names if you want, however to be honest, the area around there is a bit of a maze with roundabouts, flyovers, multiple ways into the station etc. so it would be much easier to meet in a pub actually in the main station than for people to find a place in one of the side streets.

You aren't meant to drink on the tube, but the train is ok and when I used to commute through Waterloo, I occasionally used to grab a tinny for the way back...Goes without saying that don't act the lig and annoy other passengers and take your empties with you and put them in a bin.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Thanks - i'm off for a pint - and a lot of us here probably owe you a pint by now!
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Lanzaman
Initiate

Post by Lanzaman »

mikerob wrote:Goes without saying that don't act the lig and annoy other passengers ...
HW Mike , you going to have to walk now ?!
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Planning to go out in Richmond on Friday night, anybody have any good recommendations ?
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

Lanzaman wrote:
mikerob wrote:Goes without saying that don't act the lig and annoy other passengers ...
HW Mike , you going to have to walk now ?!

Looking at your weather and the forecast for London you will need to pack your duffel coat :lol:

See you in Twickers.....

:salut: :red:
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
RichmondRedHand
Novice

Post by RichmondRedHand »

MACKTHEKNIFE wrote:Planning to go out in Richmond on Friday night, anybody have any good recommendations ?
What are you looking for? It would make recommendations easier. I don't know if you are a 50-year bloke looking for a relaxing evening in a nice restaurant with your missus or if you are heading with a a bunch of young lads looking for a buzzing pub where you can impart your Ulster charm to the local ladies.
thegreenlantern
Novice

Post by thegreenlantern »

or maybe a gay bar :cowboy:
the Moff
Novice

UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by the Moff »

There are 3 bars inside Waterloo station... a pub called the Wellesley at one end, near the escalators to the Jubilee line, another bar-type place called Bonapartes at the opposite end of the station and a bar-type place with a name I can't remember in the middle, upstairs overlooking the platforms. Of the 3, the Wellesley is probably the best but none are that great - they are places to grab a quick drink before getting a train rather than linger...

I think bonapartes is shut to be turned into a Starbucks at the moment. The whole station concourse is under redevelopment. Not entirely sure about the pub as I change trains without passing through the ticket barriers these days, but will see if I can have a wee juke on my way home.
<insert witty comment here>
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

RichmondRedHand wrote:
MACKTHEKNIFE wrote:Planning to go out in Richmond on Friday night, anybody have any good recommendations ?
What are you looking for? It would make recommendations easier. I don't know if you are a 50-year bloke looking for a relaxing evening in a nice restaurant with your missus or if you are heading with a a bunch of young lads looking for a buzzing pub where you can impart your Ulster charm to the local ladies.
Mid 30's group of 3 up to mid 40's. Looking for boozing, good pints of bitter and late drinking. Whats The Roebuck like ?
BigHairyMonster
Initiate

Post by BigHairyMonster »

When boozing in the Twickers car parks what are the facilities like for removing the by products of too much beer!! Don't want to end up resembling a band parade in Dromore on a Friday night in July!!! I presume the official village will be ok but if the carry out route is followed..?
BHM
Geal'us Dearg a suas - Up the White and Red
RichmondRedHand
Novice

[quote="MACKTHEKNIFE Whats The Roebuck like ?[/quote]

Yes, the Roebuck is fine. The Victoria Inn, which is nearby on Hill Rise, is also good but pretty small. I like that part of town (I live a few minutes away) as those pubs tend to be less jammed by the younger crowd coming in to town for a Friday evening. If you want a bit busier, then maybe the Pig's Ear (used to be Brouge) on Hill Street or the Duke on Duke Street have decent taps. I would avoid the usual Pitcher & Piano, Slug, All Bar One options.
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Nice one RRHC. Commuting over from Feltham so presume train is best option or would a cab be better ?
RichmondRedHand
Novice

It's pretty easy either way (although you would have to book a cab in advance - don't think you will just be about to hail one in Feltham). Sometimes the traffic can be a bit heavy on a Friday evening so I would probably take the train if you are close to the station (it's about 10 minutes from Feltham to Richmond and there's a train every 10-15 minutes). Hill Rise/the pubs you might want to go to are an easy 10 minute walk from Richmond station. Just turn left out of Richmond station, walk through the town centre, up Hill Street, past the Odeon cinema on the left and you'll be there.
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Thanks again RHC , I presume we'll get a flag down in Richmond at chucking out time ?
RichmondRedHand
Novice

You should do, Mack. If you are struggling head back towards the tube/train station as there should be a bunch of black cabs there.