How To Honour Nevin

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: How To Honour Nevin

Post by Setanta »

It may be because I'm an old wrinkly but I do find a minute's silence much louder than any applause.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Would it be out of order just to sing our ulster chant,but instead of men,man?. :blueafro:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

TheElephantMan wrote:Would it be out of order just to sing our ulster chant,but instead of men,man?. :blueafro:
Lest we forget three men died, all of the same blood. We should remember them as they lived and died - together.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Have not forgot 3 men died but the topic thread was how to honour Nevin. :blueafro:
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

There's room in eighty minutes and before & after for silence, songs, applause and many other things.

We'll remember Nevin & his family with dignity but we will also celebrate his life and achievements and everything he gave to rugby & to Ulster.

His death was a tragedy, but his life was wonderful.

Neither will pass unmarked.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Posted today on "whiffofcordite".
On both the Munster and Leinster fan sites, there is currently a mooted plan to sing a round of ‘Stand Up For The Ulstermen’ at their respective home games this weekend. We encourage those who plan to be in attendance to spread the word.
http://whiffofcordite.com/2012/09/17/nevin-spence-rip/
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Perhaps stupid but when the 12th/13th minute comes up at our next game. A minutes round of applause?
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
ColinM wrote:Nice to see a public thanksgiving service will be organised, appropriate for those of us not close enough to attend the funeral.
"Arrangements for a thanksgiving service for the three is currently under way and details will appear in the press in due course."
I could be wrong, but I suspect that the "thanksgiving service" - a service of thanks and remembrance for the lives of these three good men, will actually be the funeral service.

Funeral Wednesday but thanksgiving service to be held on Sunday 3pm in Ravenhill.

Should be a full house, a very fitting idea
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ColinM wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I could be wrong, but I suspect that the "thanksgiving service" - a service of thanks and remembrance for the lives of these three good men, will actually be the funeral service.

Funeral Wednesday but thanksgiving service to be held on Sunday 3pm in Ravenhill.

Should be a full house, a very fitting idea
Indeed, and I was wrong.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Seems a lot of people are all for naming one of the new stands after his family, according the UR fb page.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
eoinsy96
Novice

Post by eoinsy96 »

call one of the new stands, the spence stand, i like the idea of applause between 12-13 mins too
STANN OP VIR DIE ULSTERMAAN
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

TheElephantMan wrote:Would it be out of order just to sing our ulster chant,but instead of men,man?. :blueafro:
3 Ulstermen died, I feel just as heartbroken at the death of Noel and Graham and thus the end of a farming dnyasty that has farmed at Drumlough for the past 5 generations that I am for the loss of Nevin.

Such a tragedy.

breakdown wrote:Seems a lot of people are all for naming one of the new stands after his family, according the UR fb page.

I'd certainly back that. It will take a long time for the rugby and farming communities within Northern Ireland to fully recover from this disaster.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

I would like that idea too, a percentage of the money from the ticket sales for that stand, permitting it goes through, could be given to the charity the Spence's were involved in. Just a suggestion.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

While I agree that the 12th/13th minute applause would be a good idea, unfortunately it's not that practical. If there's an injury or a kick it just results in stilted applause and ends up sounding a bit silly.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

There's a thread on the Scarlets' forum about singing SUFTUM after the minute silence before the Scarlets v Ospreys game this weekend.

It's a nice sentiment whether it happens or not.