Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Scholar
Initiate

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Post by Scholar »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.07 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Olding played 13 for the Ireland U20s a few times and looked good. I'd agree there's plenty of difference between the skillsets, but Olding looks like the sort of freak who has the raw ingredients to master either skillset.
mike
Novice

Post by mike »

rumncoke wrote:sorry Baggy it was mike who complained about Oldings the lack of Bulk

The difference between Olding and Marshall --Marshall sees a gap and goes for it, Olding tries to make the gap.from a spectator point of view the second is more eye catching but both can be effective. the player who tries to make the gap has to patient waiting for the back row to tire and lose concentration.

Not that convinced Wilson would add more than Diack at 6 a couple of years ago I might have agreed with you but Diack has improved as a ball carrier and I, to honest, have seldom seen him fall off a tackle. But for me his ability and availability in the line out against the Os the would put his name on the sheet before Wilson.

there are those who consider Fitzmonkey ruined the game. He didn't to be honest . His decisions could be questioned at times but the Os adopted the Canada forward game rather than contest the ball at the breakdown they went out to disrupt the recycle by either coming through the middle or in at the sides. when the home side adopt these tactics it comes extremely hard to referee for someone like fitz because he tends to be " a penalty to you - a penalty to them ref ' --to avoid accusations of bias.

Similarly they targeted the inside centre or first receiver making off loading difficult and the recycle hard.

In possession they relied on Biggar to kick them in into position rather than attack from deep ball in hand .
Their tactics meant the game up front was scrappy with many handling errors and it frequently resorted to rugby ping.
pong.

Before the game we were warned ulster would try to win ugly and they did.

complained? thats just ballix.

here's what I said..........

Snipe Watson wrote:
Much as I like luke's hard running game. Olding looks full of game and possibly a very special player.

he didn't get much of a sniff tonight but he's very composed. I was a little worried about his lack of bulk but he's very smart when he goes into contact and presents the ball very quickly- his defence also looks good so far-
he's a superb prospect, can't wait to see more of him.

i said that i was a little worried about his lack of bulk but it's pretty clear that I don't see it as a hindrance to his progression.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Would quite like to see this back line experiment in a Rabo game to see how it pans out.

9. St.P
10. PJ
11. AAT
12. Skymarshall
13. Jared
14. TBowe
15. Olding
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
mike
Novice

Post by mike »

shamalicious wrote:Would quite like to see this back line experiment in a Rabo game to see how it pans out.

9. St.P
10. PJ
11. AAT
12. Skymarshall
13. Jared
14. TBowe
15. Olding

- has he ever played there before? he certainly has the skills but we need a counter-attacking 15. I'd love to see see him as a counter-attacking 15 but we are very cowardly on the counter-attack.
Last edited by mike on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

mike wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Would quite like to see this back line experiment in a Rabo game to see how it pans out.

9. St.P
10. PJ
11. AAT
12. Skymarshall
13. Jared
14. TBowe
15. Olding

- has he ever played there before? he certainly has the skills but we need a counter-attacking 15. I'd love to see see him as a counter-attacking 15 but we are very cowardly on the counter-attack.

9/10 we just kick and show no sign of creativity.
I believe he has Mike, possibly for Ireland U20s?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Yeah i think he played 15 at the jrwc.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

A worry of mine is JP qualifies for Ireland, Schmitt won't drop Rob 'Turnstile' Kearney and we see JP shoehorned into 13, permanently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Jackie Brown wrote:I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

A worry of mine is JP qualifies for Ireland, Schmitt won't drop Rob 'Turnstile' Kearney and we see JP shoehorned into 13, permanently.

Don't worry about it JB, It's a cert.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Jackie Brown wrote:I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

That's why I put Jared at 13, because it looks like that's where he's going to play in the future. Would rather have him at fullback but that's looking increasingly less likely. Similar to Hendo, I think Olding and Skymarshall are too good not to both start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Good result and a stirring performance of good old fashion rugby. Well done to the pack. TC again scrummed well. Best, Tuohy, Henry and Diack all stood up well and Henderson & Wilson complimented the effort well when introduced.
Behind the scrum we did OK. PJ had a good night and our defense was pretty good although the Tosspreys didn't really challenge that much.
Overall 8/10. But any win in Wales is good and to come back from 10 points down was encouraging.

Negatives for me was how ordinary the game was. That ejiit of a ref did not help but the skill level was fairly poor throughout. Need to work on stamping out our mistakes but hopefully the euphoria of salvaging a win through hard work will give the squad the confidence they had last season and help towards this.

Other negatives would be the posters on this forum who seem to attack one player while arguing for the inclusion of another. All of a sudden Luke is crap and Olding is miles better, or Diack is a poor man's version of Henderson...................... Can we not just recognise that each player can have different skill sets and over a course of a season we will need them all to step up and play. This despite them receiving their weekly slating on here from our non-playing (or ever played!!!) experts.
LTHG
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

lovesthehardground wrote: Other negatives would be the posters on this forum who seem to attack one player while arguing for the inclusion of another. All of a sudden Luke is crap and Olding is miles better, or Diack is a poor man's version of Henderson...................... Can we not just recognise that each player can have different skill sets and over a course of a season we will need them all to step up and play. This despite them receiving their weekly slating on here from our non-playing (or ever played!!!) experts.
Gets to me that as well, players have bad nights and other nights where they get lucky and look great but the one thing I look for is their attitude, take for example Mike Allen, he dropped what should have been a walk in pass in the Glasgow match, you could see it on his face he was raging with himself then pulled hiself together for a great performance against Treviso, looked quieter again on Friday made a few mistakes which most remember but they forget the serious pressure he also put on Ospreys kicks and caused havoc.
They can't all be world class internationals but as long as they bust a nut and see their own errors that's fine by me.
Remember a few years ago Rory had a nightmare night on the pitch and getting a lot of verbals, I was talking to him later that evening and said things not so hot tonight Rory, he replied that he was a mess and had let the boys down and needed to tighten up. He was hurting badly about it.
It's players who don't give their all or recognise their mistakes that are the bad ones.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

We need to remember that their pack had 5 Lions and that they set up to play how Saracens beat us, which was our weakness last year, when a team blitzed us and shut us down.

So we now have a game plan, to counteract the slow, blitz defence, anti rucking teams and I am happy with that.

To also over come our hoodoo of giving head starts, and being able to fight back shows the development of this team.

I was however I little annoyed when Gillers went off, to not see Olding come on at fullback.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Joe Schmo wrote:
ruckover wrote:Anyone who even considers criticising Jackson after last night deserves to be burned. Twice.
And then burn the ashes twice more!
Gentlemen, whilst I have no problems with your draconian punishment for non-believers, I do take issue with the "After last night" element.

All people who don't understand how good the Ginger Prince is should be shot in front of their families, survivors thoroughly beaten with spiked baseball bats, a bottle of Scotch - Cream of the Charlie over some-such rubbish - poured over them (you wouldn't want to waste good Whiskey) & then proceed to your sequences of immolation.

Now that's how Stalin would have done it and he was (in yoof speak) .......... well harsh.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I seldom bother with formal positives & negatives but:

Positives

- I was wrong in my prediction
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.