Offski??????????????

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Eggs
Warrior Chief

Re: Offski??????????????

Post by Eggs »

I have heard this week that Mcallister is staying, and is switching to TH, turned down an offer for France
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Eggs wrote:I have heard this week that Mcallister is staying, and is switching to TH, turned down an offer for France
That switch has been talked about for 18 months.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Yup, knew thats no new information, but I wasn't aware it was definitely happening.

Is he really the right shape for TH??
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Eggs wrote:Yup, knew thats no new information, but I wasn't aware it was definitely happening.

Who knows.. the current vogue is sloped shouldered, low centre of gravity (ie short...) TH's as opposed to the beasts of 2-3 seasons ago... ergo Mas, Ross, DF, Moore, etc.. make your own mind up on that one, but compare him to Herbst for example.
Exterminate all rational thought
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

On the subject of Annett moving, he's written a piece for the Score.

http://www.thescore.ie/niall-annett-uls ... 9-Mar2014/

Seems like a thoroughly nice guy, and I can see where he's coming from. He says he wants to play for Ireland, and he won't do that whilst playing for Worcester; I'd say two-four years with Worcester until Best's requirement would have him back here, competing with Herring.
It's the hope that kills you.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Dan Dare wrote:I always think that it is slightly sad when players (like Annett and others) have to go, but the reality is that this is professional sport. It is definitely culling time, but I have faith that they are building to get stronger. I am optimistic about the changes and looking forward to see who comes in.
About the likes of Annett, McAllister, Maclin and Farrell leaving. I think it's great for them. They have played for their province and witnessed how difficult it is to push into a starting role at Ulster.

If anything it should motivate them to go to England or wherever they signed, to develop with plenty of playing time left in their career to return to Ulster down the line.

I see it almost like a loan system. We've sent the youngsters out to prove themselves battle hardened and ready to be a full time member of the Ulster match day squad. Some of them will never reach a high enough standard to bring him home but there will be some return to add to the team, of that I have no doubt.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Eggs wrote:Yup, knew thats no new information, but I wasn't aware it was definitely happening.

Is it definitely happening? Paddy was going well before he got injured, but I wasn't convinced about him in the tight. Now if he can successfully change sides, that's a whole different story.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Windeos wrote:
Dan Dare wrote:I always think that it is slightly sad when players (like Annett and others) have to go, but the reality is that this is professional sport. It is definitely culling time, but I have faith that they are building to get stronger. I am optimistic about the changes and looking forward to see who comes in.
About the likes of Annett, McAllister, Maclin and Farrell leaving. I think it's great for them. They have played for their province and witnessed how difficult it is to push into a starting role at Ulster.

If anything it should motivate them to go to England or wherever they signed, to develop with plenty of playing time left in their career to return to Ulster down the line.

I see it almost like a loan system. We've sent the youngsters out to prove themselves battle hardened and ready to be a full time member of the Ulster match day squad. Some of them will never reach a high enough standard to bring him home but there will be some return to add to the team, of that I have no doubt.
Windeos, who is going to replace them during the season when there are injuries and international call ups? Remember some of the dire performances !!! With some of the players named that are leaving, (apart from McCloskey who I reckon is a direct replacement for Farrell ) who is replacing them or ready to move up. Yes great for them, but is it good for UR.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Kofi Annan wrote:Yes great for them, but is it good for UR.
Short term, maybe not so much, but longer term, when your looking to replace a first team player rather than squad filler, it'll hopefully mean you'd have more developed Ulstermen abroad ready to answer the call to come home.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Amiga500 wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Yes great for them, but is it good for UR.
Short term, maybe not so much, but longer term, when your looking to replace a first team player rather than squad filler, it'll hopefully mean you'd have more developed Ulstermen abroad ready to answer the call to come home.

Good a bit like Steenson? Or maybe you mean O'Connor or Mc Kinney or Andress. If you read some of the interviews they do come across as unhappy to be moving but want game time and development.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

PaddyMac is an interesting one compared to Macklin, Annett, McKinney and McIlwaine who are not going to feature regularly in match day squads unless there are injuries to frontline players, Paddy on the other hand was pushing TC for a starting berth before injury he has already amassed 44 caps in spite of missing almost 2 seasons of rugby, the only thing stopping his progress is injury, I assume if he signs for someone else he will have to go through rigorous tests to prove his fitness. So if he can prove his fitness would it not be more expedient to keep him and develop the talent that he has. Personally I hope he gets fully fit and stays with Ulster and becomes Ulster's number 1 LH and a real challenger to Cian Healy for the Ireland shirt....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Kofi Annan wrote:Good a bit like Steenson? Or maybe you mean O'Connor or Mc Kinney or Andress. If you read some of the interviews they do come across as unhappy to be moving but want game time and development.
Lets take Steenson for example - if we didn't have PJ and did need a starting 10, do you think he'd come home? and do you think he'd have benefitted from his time away?

In a few years time, we're gonna need the guts of a new back row when Chad and Sarge both head into the mid 30s. Diack isn't the youngest either.

So, if say (just throwing a name out), Conor Joyce went off to England for a couple of years, then in around 2016, would there be a slot for a developed first team player here? Then would UR have the perfect man that is both happy to come back and to the standard required? Possibly.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:PaddyMac is an interesting one compared to Macklin, Annett, McKinney and McIlwaine who are not going to feature regularly in match day squads unless there are injuries to frontline players, Paddy on the other hand was pushing TC for a starting berth before injury he has already amassed 44 caps in spite of missing almost 2 seasons of rugby, the only thing stopping his progress is injury, I assume if he signs for someone else he will have to go through rigorous tests to prove his fitness. So if he can prove his fitness would it not be more expedient to keep him and develop the talent that he has. Personally I hope he gets fully fit and stays with Ulster and becomes Ulster's number 1 LH and a real challenger to Cian Healy for the Ireland shirt....
A worthy post full of all the right sentiments S5 but like Snipe I've never been convinced of PaddyMac's scrummaging - ever. that said he was a young guy - very young for a prop - with great potential.

If he is staying I'm happy that we give him every chance to come through to whatever that potential is.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Amiga500 wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Good a bit like Steenson? Or maybe you mean O'Connor or Mc Kinney or Andress. If you read some of the interviews they do come across as unhappy to be moving but want game time and development.
Lets take Steenson for example - if we didn't have PJ and did need a starting 10, do you think he'd come home? and do you think he'd have benefitted from his time away?

In a few years time, we're gonna need the guts of a new back row when Chad and Sarge both head into the mid 30s. Diack isn't the youngest either.

So, if say (just throwing a name out), Conor Joyce went off to England for a couple of years, then in around 2016, would there be a slot for a developed first team player here? Then would UR have the perfect man that is both happy to come back and to the standard required? Possibly.
So by your logic McKinney left to play at Rotherham , then he came back to play at Ulster as what, competition for PJ or a back up, now he has went back to Rotherham , is that for more development . No because at a push that's his level.So now Ihumph returns after a hissy fit, that too will be for second fiddle to PJ.

Really would not use Joyce as an example :roll:
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Has it been mentioned here that PaddyMac is off to Oyonnax next season? I can't seem to find any mention of it here. Anyway decent deal for him, just the one year to see how it goes and I think-but I might be wrong- the intention is to play and get time in the other side of the scrum at th.