Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Greatest ever xv

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
I have returned to Chez Watson from my recent sojourn on't continent. Food, wine and beer all excellent. WiFi in hotel not so, but I wasn't there to converse with you and the Langer king of old Limerick town so as yer man in the butter add has it, 'nat te worry'. I'm only picking players from the professional era or thereabouts 1985 is the notional cut off. I don't think we an compare eras as the game was as different as day and night from what we have now. BOD is 13 in my selection, he ousts Sella Horan was at 12. Horan and Little were some combo and the animal Herbert didn't exactly weaken the side when he replaced Little.
Delighted you enjoyed it Snipe. Less so that you failed to capitalise the word "king" :D
Jet lag :lol: :lol:
The Eternal City was very pleasant indeed. I'd recommend it.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Oh I concur. Wonderful place. I would like to go back. Tis over 10 years since I was there.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Oh I concur. Wonderful place. I would like to go back. Tis over 10 years since I was there.
Time you were back then. You get bombarded with architecture, history and culture at every turn. They have made it very touristy, but with so many tourists, there is no avoiding it. Still classy despite that.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Time you were back then. You get bombarded with architecture, history and culture at every turn. They have made it very touristy, but with so many tourists, there is no avoiding it. Still classy despite that.
For this I need to borrow lines from "My Cousin Vinny":

So what are you? A world fu@king traveller?

How was their Chinese food? Huh.

You'll have to forgive me Snipe, for you know I like you, but when I hear folk returning from their holliers & shooting the "touristy" line, I want to punch them in the mouth. >EW

You want to go somewhere and avoid tourists Snipe, forget cities, come with me to visit my cousin "The Utah One" n we can go off the beaten track in Canyonlands, the only tourist you will see is me.

We can walk a dozen miles in 110 degrees, swim across the Green River & try climbing the Turk's Head. Of course, I was still in my fifties then. >EW
B0002303.JPG
B0002303.JPG (105.73 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
For this I need to borrow lines from "My Cousin Vinny":

So what are you? A world fu@king traveller?

How was their Chinese food? Huh.

You'll have to forgive me Snipe, for you know I like you, but when I hear folk returning from their holliers & shooting the "touristy" line, I want to punch them in the mouth. >EW

You want to go somewhere and avoid tourists Snipe, forget cities, come with me to visit my cousin "The Utah One" n we can go off the beaten track in Canyonlands, the only tourist you will see is me.

We can walk a dozen miles in 110 degrees, swim across the Green River & try climbing the Turk's Head. Of course, I was still in my fifties then. >EW
B0002303.JPG
And as you know I find you to be agreeable, but what a load of crapola. There is a massive difference between a city being a great place to go as a tourist and it turning into an industrialised conveyor belt of tourists and plastic Colosseum snowstorms. Suppose it was my own fault for going in the summer. Great movie all the same :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote: And as you know I find you to be agreeable, but what a load of crapola. There is a massive difference between a city being a great place to go as a tourist and it turning into an industrialised conveyor belt of tourists and plastic Colosseum snowstorms. Suppose it was my own fault for going in the summer. Great movie all the same :thumleft:
Not really, indeed not "crapola" in any respect. I've been to my share of big cities, they are all without exception growing fat on the tourist dollar and all without exception have a vested interest in playing that as hard as they can. My problem is not with the cities, my problem is with folk who go there & then moan about it being "touristy", you are a tourist, embrace it, don't whinge about it.

I've done the cultural shyte but for me there is nothing so impressive as the what nature offers, if you want to enjoy some "me" time with you and the big wide world, go on your own into Yosemite at 6.30 am whilst the campsites still have a hum of snoring and you will find any amount of personal space to enjoy the best architecture you will ever see, all constructed by the agents of erosion.

The nearest punter when I took this was about half a mile awayon my level or 3000 feet down.
B0001632.jpg
B0001632.jpg (205.17 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Mind you I did see this fella
B0001689sm.jpg
B0001689sm.jpg (146.87 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: And as you know I find you to be agreeable, but what a load of crapola. There is a massive difference between a city being a great place to go as a tourist and it turning into an industrialised conveyor belt of tourists and plastic Colosseum snowstorms. Suppose it was my own fault for going in the summer. Great movie all the same :thumleft:
Not really, indeed not "crapola" in any respect. I've been to my share of big cities, they are all without exception growing fat on the tourist dollar and all without exception have a vested interest in playing that as hard as they can. My problem is not with the cities, my problem is with folk who go there & then moan about it being "touristy", you are a tourist, embrace it, don't whinge about it.

I've done the cultural shyte but for me there is nothing so impressive as the what nature offers, if you want to enjoy some "me" time with you and the big wide world, go on your own into Yosemite at 6.30 am whilst the campsites still have a hum of snoring and you will find any amount of personal space to enjoy the best architecture you will ever see, all constructed by the agents of erosion.

The nearest punter when I took this was about half a mile awayon my level or 3000 feet down.
B0001632.jpg
Mind you I did see this fella
B0001689sm.jpg
I have done the wilderness thing, the wild water thing, the open sea thing and also the mountain thing. I had an Ulster fleg on top of Mont Blanc last June. I also enjoy the cultural thing and as much as it is your right to object it is my right to bemoan the loss of the days when it was possible to walk around a city at my leisure and take in the ambiance without hoards of people blocking every thoroughfare.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
and as much as it is your right to object it is my right to bemoan the loss of the days when it was possible to walk around a city at my leisure and take in the ambiance without hoards of people blocking every thoroughfare.

It is my right to tell both of yiz to g'way and boil yer heads. :D

But on this one I agree with Snipe. What's wrong with wanting to enjoy the beauty etc of an old city in relative peace and quiet.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
and as much as it is your right to object it is my right to bemoan the loss of the days when it was possible to walk around a city at my leisure and take in the ambiance without hoards of people blocking every thoroughfare.

It is my right to tell both of yiz to g'way and boil yer heads. :D

But on this one I agree with Snipe. What's wrong with wanting to enjoy the beauty etc of an old city in relative peace and quiet.
FFS Shan get up da yard ye gowlbeg, you go to Rome in the summer & want to walk round on yer own. I'll tell you what's wrong, being remarkably unrealistic for an intelligent man is what's wrong, now wise the feck up the two of you "touristy" gowls. "Touristy" my ould shitebox, touristy is as touristy does. Ya pair of whingers. :roll:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
FFS Shan get up da yard ye gowlbeg, you go to Rome in the summer & want to walk round on yer own. I'll tell you what's wrong, being remarkably unrealistic for an intelligent man is what's wrong, now wise the feck up the two of you "touristy" gowls. "Touristy" my ould shitebox, touristy is as touristy does. Ya pair of whingers. :roll:

:lol:

Gwan Horse.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Gwan Horse.
:lol: Has anyone called anyone a bag sniffer yet? It's my favourite.......
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
:lol: Has anyone called anyone a bag sniffer yet? It's my favourite.......

This lad loves it as well. :D

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

You see if you guys had bothered to read what was written, nowhere do I decry visiting cities, I'm off this day 2 weeks to visit Cordoba for a couple of days en route to my hovel. On the way back I'll stay a night in Granada, about my fifth or sixth visit there and both are likely to be swarming with tourists. Some may even buy snowglobes of the Alhambra or the Mezquita, though I expect to have me baws scorched August being a roaster in both places.

Not the issue, I've helpfully suggested a couple of places for relative solitude, should that be what you want, however my sole argument is don't go somewhere where you're guaranteed throngs of folk at this time of year & then use the "touristy" word.

And given an earlier reply it would appear that Snipe is a "Fu@king world traveller".
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:You see if you guys had bothered to read what was written, nowhere do I decry visiting cities, I'm off this day 2 weeks to visit Cordoba for a couple of days en route to my hovel. On the way back I'll stay a night in Granada, about my fifth or sixth visit there and both are likely to be swarming with tourists. Some may even buy snowglobes of the Alhambra or the Mezquita, though I expect to have me baws scorched August being a roaster in both places.

Not the issue, I've helpfully suggested a couple of places for relative solitude, should that be what you want, however my sole argument is don't go somewhere where you're guaranteed throngs of folk at this time of year & then use the "touristy" word.

And given an earlier reply it would appear that Snipe is a "Fu@king world traveller".
Please tell me at what point did I say that I expected it to be anything other than packed? If you had read what I actually posted..... I said that it is a pity that it is packed with tourists. Don't remember saying I was a world traveller either, that was entirely your phrase. You suggested that I should
I simply advised you that I am very familiar with the great outdoors.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The end... before this rolls on and on.