Shocking Calls

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Shocking Calls

Post by Snipe Watson »

Remember our Adam D'Arcy's disallowed try?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Most of you were not born when in 1968, the spritely Mike Titcomb awarded Gareth Edwards a drop goal at Lansdowne Road that every one of the 54000 and both teams knew was at least 6 feet wide of the post. The error gave Wales a 6-6 scoreline but luckily one of the Doyle brothers - can't remember if it was Mick or Tom - scored a late try and Ireland won 9-6 otherwise the Englishman could have been lynched.

Titcomb had become the youngest international ref having ended his playing career due to an eye injury - you don't say :roll:
Bags - as I type this, I have the official match programme of that 1968 game in front of me. Tom Doyle was a little titch of a flanker at 5'11" and only 12 st 2 lb (brother Mick was about a stone heavier). The average height of all the forwards playing was 6' 0" and their average weight just over 14 st. The heaviest man on the field was Willie John, at 16 st 9 lb. The tallest man was Ken Goodall at 6' 3.5". The lightest was Ireland wing John Moroney at a strapping 11 st 7 lb. How things have changed!
The Welsh halfbacks were Edwards/John, and the Irish Young/Gibson - not too shabby, eh.
Go back a little further Spiffers and you get Ballmena, Ulster Ireland & Lions prop Syd Millar, I was chatting to Syd & Jackie Kyle at a stop over in Cardiff airport on the way back from Paris, talking about the changes to the game. Syd said that the heaviest he ever was as a player was 15st.7lb.

2 years later we savaged them 14-0 , Edwards &John again, last match Goodall played from memory & scored that try. :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Remember a tmo decision years ago in 1994 I think, when SA played England which would made it one of the first referrals.
The ball was kicked behind the SA defence in the try area and Tim Stimpson has about to run on to it and touch down for a score when the SA player tackles him early without the ball.
Stimpson still attempts to ground it.

Decision goes upstairs so surely its just a question of try or penalty try?
No its a 22 drop out because Andre Watson was the tmo.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Anyone else see the Zane Kirchner non-try against Scarlets this evening?

Ruled out because of off-the-ball play by Ruddock (I think), but the ref and TMO completely ignore Kirchner being tackled by a swinging arm to the head. Wonder will that come up in the citing commissioner's report . . .

Will find a video if I can.
Some might say Kirchner was lucky to be on the pitch and not to have been yellow carded for his tackle on Priestlands face...
I'll make that statement Cockers. What's more even Shaggy the :cyclopsani: :mexican: thought it was 'borderline'.
He thinks everything is borderline
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Anyone else see the Zane Kirchner non-try against Scarlets this evening?

Ruled out because of off-the-ball play by Ruddock (I think), but the ref and TMO completely ignore Kirchner being tackled by a swinging arm to the head. Wonder will that come up in the citing commissioner's report . . .

Some might say Kirchner was lucky to be on the pitch and not to have been yellow carded for his tackle on Priestlands face...
I'll make that statement Cockers. What's more even Shaggy the :cyclopsani: :mexican: thought it was 'borderline'.
He thinks everything is borderline
Yeah, I once asked him what he thought Madonna's best song was...
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Snipe Watson wrote:

The try was disallowed because he lost the ball over the line and they went back to the taking the man out without the ball. So even if he hadn't coughed it up it was going to be called back anyway.

Don't get me wrong, you're right in that there were 2 reasons for the try not to be awarded. But the point remains, whoever that Scarlets defender was made a swinging-arm tackle to Kirchner's face.

Not quite sure how that would affect the logic of who actually gets the penalty/possession for the restart (the chronology was Leinster obstruction, Scarlets high tackle and Kirchner losing ball forward) but it was obvious dangerous play. Got lost in the wash of the ref and TMO, understandably to a degree, focussing on the try/non-try, but this is why we have the citing commissioners, surely . . .
It's the hope that kills you.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Once a Knight wrote:I understand now but that's not the footage from the link I hit earlier. I got the highlights of the Ireland v England match. Must have hit the wrong link.
That was an extended ad before the video itself, OAK. I got it too, but skipped the fecker
It's the hope that kills you.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Once a Knight wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:I understand now but that's not the footage from the link I hit earlier. I got the highlights of the Ireland v England match. Must have hit the wrong link.
That was an extended ad before the video itself, OAK. I got it too, but skipped the fecker
Many thanks Rory - I must not have noticed the little skip ad thing in the corner and since it was Rugby assumed that was the link. Makes sense now. :thumleft:
feckin ipads are half the problem >threaten
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Interesting call in Bulls Cheetahs game

Le Roux awarded a penalty in a fair content as he jumped higher and earlier and landed awkwardly

TMO appears to have wanted cards
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Russ wrote:Interesting call in Bulls Cheetahs game

Le Roux awarded a penalty in a fair content as he jumped higher and earlier and landed awkwardly

TMO appears to have wanted cards
I watched that, lot of chat from the ref about the 'rules' of the outcome ie because Le Roux got up first and higher, even though he barged into the boy, he got the penalty.

As I said at the time of the Payne incident when Goode/Sarries milked it for all it was worth it will only be a matter of time before we see increasing football like theatrics to induce more serious punishments for the offender.

World Rugby is going down a dark path.
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

World Rugby is going down a dark path.

Then turn the fecking lights on.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:

The try was disallowed because he lost the ball over the line and they went back to the taking the man out without the ball. So even if h hadn't coughed it up it was going to be called back anyway.
Not so snipe. Ref asks TMO to look at obstruction on 22 before the grounding. I agree ZK lost it forwatd, but the TMO never Adjudicated in that. Scarlets forward (Owens??) Did well to milk it, TBH. If he hadn't have taken exception to the clear out and judo thrown the Leinster man, he could easily been back in palace blocking that channel.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Many thanks Rory - I must not have noticed the little skip ad thing in the corner and since it was Rugby assumed that was the link. Makes sense now. :thumleft:
feckin ipads are half the problem >threaten
Well then take mine, you only have to prize it from my cold, dead hand! >minigun

I know your views. >EW
Overpriced gunk ........said the man posting on a bucking Kindle. :thumleft: If I didn't read so many books I'd bin it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

The most shocking call of all time was whoever told George Clancy he should become a referee.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:The most shocking call of all time was whoever told George Clancy he should become a referee.
Image Image Image Image Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?