Clermont v Toulon

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Clermont v Toulon

Post by bazzaj »

Spiffsson wrote:
bazzaj wrote:He walks the line doesn't he, like all good 7s.
I remember when McCaw came on the scene everyone said similar things including myself, who thought he was simply a cheat.
We all know different now as his cheating is now swapped for intelligence.

Think there is a lot more to Armitages game than winning turnovers as he wouldn't have been European player of the year if he was that limited.
Toulon has improved him beyond recognition so I don't think he would be considered in the same terms had he stayed in England.
In fact that could be an argument in itself for letting players go abroad.
His move to France was a no brainer as he was not in genuine contention for an English place at the time and I don't recall any sort of clamour to disuade him.

Sextons departure didn't open any anticipated exodus floodgates when we continued to select him and the reverse has actually happened as hes come back
Habana and Botha continue to be selected by SA without any dramas so I don't know what England are so scared of.

Englands back row are all hard working but Armitages selection would bring an added dimension to them in terms the power and turnovers he offers.
Exceptions can always be made but its the stubbornness of the erfu and their faith in an honest grafting but limited captain that is capping their true potential.
Bear in mind that Armitage can play across the back row as well so please no one try and argue that he wouldn't be a better option than Haskell.
Don't think his cheating is swapped for intelligence. He cheats as much as ever but the intelligence lets him get away with it. Never saw a bloke who spent so much time on the wrong side of a ruck without getting pinged. From recent Super rugby games, he looks as though time is catching up with him. He's no longer the sharpest looking NZ 7, but still, will probably lead the ABs to a RWC win in the autumn then pack it in or move to Toulon.
When I say swapped I should have said its now refered to as.
I remember the only ref who came down on McCaw was Wayne Barnes in the 2007 qf of the world cup.
Basically nullified his game that day by penalising him from the off for his usual ruck infringing.
By contrast that released Dusatoir to play one of the greatest individual performances I have witnessed.

Don't know why other refs haven't dealt with McCaw similarly but a kiwi mate told me that once they put that black shirt on they turn invisible.
Its as close to logical explanation as I have come across to explain this phenomena.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

There are a small number of players who seemingly have been able to cheat with impunity for their entire careers. Alan Quinlan was another not to mention Plug. It's pure rugby intelligence, playing the referee to the limits of what he will allow.
Macavity’s a Mystery Cat: he’s called the Hidden Paw—
For he’s the master criminal who can defy the Law.
He’s the bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad’s despair:
For when they reach the scene of crime—Macavity’s not there!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tip tackle on 4.40

Bakkies Botha on a Clermont player following the tipped drop goal attempt

Should have been a straight red card as he took the player who was in the air. Twisted him and drove him head first into the ground