World Cup News

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: World Cup News

Post by Russ »

Can you imagine if the welsh got to another semi final ... their fans are hard enough to stand in years they finish last in the 6nations!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Kofi Annan wrote: I for one am glad Donegal is in Northern Ireland, a nation once again :D
Bertie Ahern must be involved in this. :lol:

Anyway yer welcome to Donegal Kofi. Anything north of Dublin is pretty sh1tty so you can have it all. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
In 2007, Eddie O'Sullivan decided that the rugby players didn't need to play rugby in order to play in a Rugby World Cup . . .
He wanted to select a squad from a North Dublin bodybuilding club but he was told he had to select the guys already in the established squad. He got his way anyway more or less.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:Can you imagine if the welsh got to another semi final ... their fans are hard enough to stand in years they finish last in the 6nations!

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

This morning, dear readers, you find me beside myself with joy for I've just received a personal invitation to go to Spanners on 19th June to see the Bill W'bellis Cup ........something like that.

Unfortunately I have to decline, I checked the diary and I'm cutting my toenails that morning. >EF

An opportunity to have a snap tuk that nobody would ever have the slightest interest in seeing and I can't make it, such desolation.

Meanwhile in the real world I have no interest in a trophy that Ireland will never win, being a nation of chokers who fear success.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

.The journey throughout the UK and Ireland aims to engage fans and give them the opportunity to build unforgettable memories as part of their own Rugby World Cup 2015 story.
However if you buy a new season ticket ulster will make you special and you can have a private viewing a ravenhill.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Steffon Armitage England call 'disruptive' - Jonny Wilkinson

England would have been wrong to select Steffon Armitage for the World Cup, says former fly-half Jonny Wilkinson.
Armitage has been in top form for European champions Toulon, prompting calls for England to ditch their policy of not selecting overseas players.
But Wilkinson thinks a call-up for his former Toulon team-mate, 29, would have been "disruptive for everyone".
Armitage has won an unprecedented three consecutive European titles with Toulon but has won just five England caps.
"It disrupts the dynamic in the squad already, Chris Robshaw and all the other guys in the back-row doing what they are doing brilliantly," said Wilkinson, who won the World Cup with England in 2003.
He added flanker Armitage was right not to join Premiership side Bath last season to force a move into the squad.
"If it were me and they said 'come back', then I would have needed very big guarantees," said the 2003 World Cup winne
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

So selecting a better player is disruptive. Sounds like something Declan Kidney would do.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

As I see it, changing the rules specifically to be allowed to select one player would be tantamount to a vote of no confidence in the current 7 who also happens to be captain. There's no doubt in my mind that Armitage is a superb player, especially when he plays in tandem with Masoe. He is fantastic over the ball, tackles well and can carry. However Chris Robshaw is a machine around the field, there are few who have a work rate like him. Armitage doesn't or at least if he does, he doesn't need to show it at Toulon, with Masoe sharing the breakdown responsibility. Good and all as he is, I wouldn't drop Robshaw to bring him in.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

This is simply a PRL power game

PRL - we'll allow our players to play for England if you only select our players
RFU - okay this will mean people stay in England

French clubs offer millions. Sorries get upset etc.

RFU - we've this player in France we want to play
PRL - we'll not give you our players as we'll go bust competing with French

RFU - feck

RFU press chube - bringing in now PRL chubes would be disruptive

Whist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Kofi Annan wrote:
.The journey throughout the UK and Ireland aims to engage fans and give them the opportunity to build unforgettable memories as part of their own Rugby World Cup 2015 story.
However if you buy a new season ticket ulster will make you special and you can have a private viewing a ravenhill.
Joke… surely an opportunity to open the place up and engage everyone by providing the opportunity to see the RWC and embrace the game.…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Joke… surely an opportunity to open the place up and engage everyone by providing the opportunity to see the RWC and embrace the game.…

I have zero comprehension as to people's interest in trophies, the only interest I have is seeing one in the hands of Ulster or Ireland players.

We could do worse than take a leaf out of the Scottish book. No not cheating nor diving - conjure up a trophy to be awarded for matches between Ulster and Connacht. We might win.

As for Bill Webb Ellis I have no feck interest.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I can understand Wilkinson's point re ARMITAGE the best back row row is not necessarily a unit made from the best players in each position but the best combination who can play as a unit.

picking Armitage would, due to his lack of pace and or his inability to sustain it over a distance , require the back to play a game which would suit Armitage and he and MR Vindaloo play a similar game except Vindaloo plays 8 and Armitage wears a 7 and pretends to be an open side.

Armitage takes up a position in mid field in order to be second to the tackle and go ball blocking or turn over while Vindaloo is a ball carrier

Two players with the same build and limitations of mobility but two totally different roles , which look on paper a combination to die for but at International level could be a total liability due to the lack of pace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote:I can understand Wilkinson's point re ARMITAGE the best back row row is not necessarily a unit made from the best players in each position but the best combination who can play as a unit.

picking Armitage would, due to his lack of pace and or his inability to sustain it over a distance , require the back to play a game which would suit Armitage and he and MR Vindaloo play a similar game except Vindaloo plays 8 and Armitage wears a 7 and pretends to be an open side.

Armitage takes up a position in mid field in order to be second to the tackle and go ball blocking or turn over while Vindaloo is a ball carrier

Two players with the same build and limitations of mobility but two totally different roles , which look on paper a combination to die for but at International level could be a total liability due to the lack of pace
I agree with Rum
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
rumncoke wrote:I can understand Wilkinson's point re ARMITAGE the best back row row is not necessarily a unit made from the best players in each position but the best combination who can play as a unit.

I agree with Rum
I agree with Rum ........ but not Snipe .... :?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right