Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Okay then, "The Phoney War"

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy

It's the difference between Pro 12 and International rugby

At professional club level teams have exploitable weaknesses and this allows certain freedom in style on occasion . International rugby seldom provides the same freedom of approach and that is true in spades when playing a team like Italy who can play "
Keep ball " rugby and defend .

Provided they can obtain a reasonable % of possession in the opposition half they will kick any penalty chances they are given .

Therefore without at least a 9 point lead a team is restricted in options of approach .

Sunday was also influenced by a lack lustre game from Murray and a flat back line crabbing across the pitch .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:Right through this I have been convinced that Joe is getting influenced in his team choices by the D4 Mafia and the longer it goes on the more convinced I am, the entire thing is not his style at all.
As for the French he might get very lucky and the French just forget they are playing in Cardiff otherwise it will be an England /Australia type massacre only worse.
He has fecked around with centre combinations so much that we have not seen 2 consecutive matches with the same players now how that can bed in as a stable partnership is beyond me, he has a batch of utility players in the squad that are jacks of all trades masters of none, the lads themselves are probably getting confused as to where they should be on the pitch.
A phoney war perhaps but it is asking a hell of a lot for everything to just suddenly fall into place next weekend and the way things have been going I really can't see it happening. Has he another gameplan ? I really doubt it as we have seen Ulster also playing Fibberball no doubt to keep the likes of Trimble and Gilroy sharp and ready if someone gets injured.

Roll on the end of the tournament and get back to some proper rugby.
Ahem brother Rooster, I'm dying to see what we can do, having bizarrely been a Lutton away from a cup, and with the new chief to publicly take charge.

I'm hoping against known evidence that he may see logic in playing guys in their best positions. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Okay then,

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy

It's the difference between Pro 12 and International rugby

At professional club level teams have exploitable weaknesses and this allows certain freedom in style on occasion . International rugby seldom provides the same freedom of approach and that is true in spades when playing a team like Italy who can play "
Keep ball " rugby and defend .

Provided they can obtain a reasonable % of possession in the opposition half they will kick any penalty chances they are given .

Therefore without at least a 9 point lead a team is restricted in options of approach .

Sunday was also influenced by a lack lustre game from Murray and a flat back line crabbing across the pitch .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Read you're first line again Rumn, does not compute.

What?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I wonder if BoD still has his old mates in the selection panel

BoD owns a PR firm right?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Shan, thanks for that, I even agreed with a fair bit of it.

On POM though, though I did enjoy his performance, he could be fecking brighter, cuter or less feckin' stupid.

The shoulder charge, for which he may well be cited by the way if viewed harshly, was dumb, but he also got done, a little harshly as it turned out on the replay, for grabbing a led in de lineout, that particular loss of an attacking position due to stupidity wrecks my head.
Absolutely Baggy. We need POM to keep the insanity level high but still tempered with clarity. He knows the difference between doing his best to be an utter ballix for the opposition while staying somewhere close enough to within the laws to avoid unwanted officials attention. He just needs to get it done. Not much different to Hooper who is also an absolute nuisance of a man. He avoided a yellow even though I thought his effort was more illegal than POM's. Some days it goes against you and some not.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

justinr73 wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I would love to see Fitzwasteofspace up against France at 12.
You're not on your own.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34450473

Ferris trained and played with Fitz. They were on the same Grand Slam winning team. So one could say he knows the guy and his abilities very well.

However Ferris has already proven, as many ex-players do, that while he was an incredible player he isn't much of a pundit at this stage.

So like with all pundits we should be cautious about giving him too much credibility.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:I really doubt it as we have seen Ulster also playing Fibberball no doubt to keep the likes of Trimble and Gilroy sharp and ready if someone gets injured.

But Ulster played aimless kick ball through last season. This place is littered with whinging about it. Is that what you want a return to? :D
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
justinr73 wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I would love to see Fitzwasteofspace up against France at 12.
You're not on your own.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34450473

Ferris trained and played with Fitz. They were on the same Grand Slam winning team. So one could say he knows the guy and his abilities very well.

However Ferris has already proven, as many ex-players do, that while he was an incredible player he isn't much of a pundit at this stage.

So like with all pundits we should be cautious about giving him too much credibility.
He's a ligind. His every utterance should be noted down and pondered deeply.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:
Rooster wrote:I really doubt it as we have seen Ulster also playing Fibberball no doubt to keep the likes of Trimble and Gilroy sharp and ready if someone gets injured.

But Ulster played aimless kick ball through last season. This place is littered with whinging about it. Is that what you want a return to? :D
Everything done last season was under D4 orders and a planned build up for this years RWC
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Shan wrote: Not much different to Hooper who is also an absolute nuisance of a man. He avoided a yellow even though I thought his effort was more illegal than POM's. Some days it goes against you and some not.

Hmm I didn't realise Hooper has received a one week ban for this. I hope POM won't be facing similar.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:
Everything done last season was under D4 orders and a planned build up for this years RWC
Ah I see. All done to help Tommy gain much needed kick-chasing practice. :D
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:

Ah, so everyone was wrong to have a go at Doaky and he is a brilliant coach after all :stir:

Personally I would far rather watch Ireland these days, even playing Joeball than much of the dross served up by Ulster over the past year.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
Shan wrote: Not much different to Hooper who is also an absolute nuisance of a man. He avoided a yellow even though I thought his effort was more illegal than POM's. Some days it goes against you and some not.

Hmm I didn't realise Hooper has received a one week ban for this. I hope POM won't be facing similar.

Wondered that when I read your previous post. >EW

Unless I misunderstand the disciplinary rules (maybe different for RWC ???) citings are supposed to be for potential red card offences. With POM getting his yellow it was unlikely that he would be cited, though as ULster discovered last season, not impossible.

I don't understand how Hooper's could possibly have been seen as a red card offence.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Does any citing have to done within 48 hours?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote: Personally I would far rather watch Ireland these days, even playing Joeball than much of the dross served up by Ulster over the past year.
Yeah, was a real thrill a minute on Sunday :roll: Ooooooooooooh and the way they tore those feisty Romanians apart >yahoo

FFS give it a rest, it's like watching paint dry, neither one is a picnic but sure .............at least I don't hate half the Ulster team. :duh: