Ulster v Dragons - Pro12 G13 - Fri 5th Feb 19:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

promenader
Novice

Re: Ulster v Dragons - Pro12 G13 - Fri 5th Feb 19:35

Post by promenader »

BuckRogers wrote:Whoops, so you didn't. You might as well have and I know that's what you, and others, were inferring.

I'll retract and use testicular fortitude if cowardice offends anyone.
I infer, you imply... :thumleft:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Cornerfleg wrote:Defo brother Snipe, hooker is an area where we are blessed with riches.
shamalicious wrote:Andrew has captained the As and from what little I've seen from him, he shows promise. Herring won't go unnoticed by Joe Schmidt forever and we need to start giving Andrew a bit more game time for him to settle.
We've got 2 excellent hookers. One of them can't be more than 4 years (max) from retirement.

Depth in the front row means 3 players with no-to-minimal drop-off.

Andrew needs developed.
It's the hope that kills you.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Ulster v Dragons - Pro12 G13 - Fri 5th Feb 19:35

Post by BuckRogers »

Yin, it would be my opinion yer talking mad dog sheeite. Ruan doesn't blast players but he doesn't shirk the tackle and generally makes them when required. He's not Ferris I grant you but to put him, or any self respecting professional, in the Humphreys bracket of defence is a downright insult and tantamount to abuse.

You are clearly not getting enough sex.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BuckRogers wrote:Yin, it would be my opinion yer talking mad dog sheeite. Ruan doesn't blast players but he doesn't shirk the tackle and generally makes them when required. He's not Ferris I grant you but to put him, or any self respecting professional, in the Humphreys bracket of defence is a downright insult and tantamount to abuse.

You are clearly not getting enough sex.
I think shirking the tackle is exactly what he does at times. I totally accept the point that his primary function is not to wreck opposing front row ball carriers, and it doesn't for one moment suggest that he isn't the best player we've had since I've been a ST holder (apologies for the double negative).

I just think there are times when he has avoided tackling or simply missed a tackle to the detriment of the team. And there's more of that than I'd like.

But anyway. Humph. Yeah. I hope Jackie is released.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
Whilst I accept the wealth at 12/13, and that Olding has the class to back up 10, I do think you're chucking him in and hoping he's not Ian Humphreys. I think we have enough in the squad to win the next two at home whoever plays 10. I also think you gain more by IH and cameos from Olding in terms of having players ready if there's and injury later in the season.
My dear dear fellow, allow me to place this quandary into the simplest of considerations (no hint that you are not well able for the complex of course), to wit, what is best for Ulster Rugby, both now & in the coming seasons.

Olding is a confident player, he has previous experience of playing out half, nobody can seriously doubt either his capacity to play the position but far more importantly, the desirability that he stands ready in the next number of seasons to provide real talent in that position either behind or potentially in front of Paddy Jackson, hopefully two great options where we have all acknowledged weakness for as long as I can recall.

Then look at the case for Ian Humphreys. There simply isn't one, I was a fan of his flaky but occasionally sensational play, but that is history. He is almost out of contract, he is unquestionably out of form, he is in that fine cliche, a busted flush. There is absolutely no conceivable situation in which he will add value to the team for the rest of the season. With Jackson, Pienaar & Olding all either very good or good to OK kickers, even that final remaining skill is of little consequence when you see his wretched form.

What I just don't understand is why would you settle for the known mediocre/awful when a dazzling talent is there to be seen & used. So accepting, as I'm sure you do, the desirability of Ulster having a high class supporting 10 to Paddy, if not now, then exactly when then would be a good time to allow Stu Olding a run of games at 10?

The time is nigh. I hope that the evidence of his play at 10 last weekend is enough to reassure Les that Stu is the man.

Not only that of course, it's also a bloody exciting thought.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I remember Ruan getting injured making a tackle. Shoulder injury, of which he has had a few. He possibly has a weakness there and is maybe advised to avoid heavy contact if at all possible. Also its worth remembering that ihumph was nearly dissected in a bone crunching hit. I wouldn't blame him if he is reluctant to tackle but I don't find his present form reliable.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Ruan runs interference rather than making hits. It buys time, stops offloads with the windmill routine and he remains on his feet to be of use at the next phase. Genius is what he is......
Haven't seen a charge down from him for a while.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:Ruan runs interference rather than making hits. It buys time and he remains on his feet to be of use at the next phase.
Haven't seen a charge down from him for a while.
Toby Flood stood 45m back to kick
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

STOP THE PRESS

PETE BROWNE HAS INSPECTED THEIR WIN OVER LEINSTER AND PROVIDED UNREAL ANALYSIS OVER ON UR.COM
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Russ wrote:STOP THE PRESS

PETE BROWNE HAS INSPECTED THEIR WIN OVER LEINSTER AND PROVIDED UNREAL ANALYSIS OVER ON UR.COM
Look, Pete may have a touch of the Jack Whitehalls about him but we all saw what Jack did in the lineout against Martin Johnson in that RWC ad.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Stockdale not playing for the 20s needed again this weekend.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Whilst I accept the wealth at 12/13, and that Olding has the class to back up 10, I do think you're chucking him in and hoping he's not Ian Humphreys. I think we have enough in the squad to win the next two at home whoever plays 10. I also think you gain more by IH and cameos from Olding in terms of having players ready if there's and injury later in the season.
My dear dear fellow, allow me to place this quandary into the simplest of considerations (no hint that you are not well able for the complex of course), to wit, what is best for Ulster Rugby, both now & in the coming seasons.

Olding is a confident player, he has previous experience of playing out half, nobody can seriously doubt either his capacity to play the position but far more importantly, the desirability that he stands ready in the next number of seasons to provide real talent in that position either behind or potentially in front of Paddy Jackson, hopefully two great options where we have all acknowledged weakness for as long as I can recall.

Then look at the case for Ian Humphreys. There simply isn't one, I was a fan of his flaky but occasionally sensational play, but that is history. He is almost out of contract, he is unquestionably out of form, he is in that fine cliche, a busted flush. There is absolutely no conceivable situation in which he will add value to the team for the rest of the season. With Jackson, Pienaar & Olding all either very good or good to OK kickers, even that final remaining skill is of little consequence when you see his wretched form.

What I just don't understand is why would you settle for the known mediocre/awful when a dazzling talent is there to be seen & used. So accepting, as I'm sure you do, the desirability of Ulster having a high class supporting 10 to Paddy, if not now, then exactly when then would be a good time to allow Stu Olding a run of games at 10?

The time is nigh. I hope that the evidence of his play at 10 last weekend is enough to reassure Les that Stu is the man.

Not only that of course, it's also a bloody exciting thought.
You probably didn't read it but my assertion was that you don't dismiss IH just yet. That you give him a start in the next couple of games at Ravenhill. A start hoping he will find some form. And that you continue the cameos from Olding. That's usually how you introduce a player to a position at the next level up. I just don't think you dismiss a player that you may need later in the season. So we disagree on the approach but not the longer term outcome.

Nope, I read everything you wrote, for my sins I read the majority of stuff that people write, I consider it a polite approach and well ............. I'm not exactly stuck for time to do so.

I simply expect nothing at al from Humphreys, I believe it to be beyond his remaining powers to contribute anything much beyond the odd kick for goal. HIs tactical kicking has been shocking all season.

In any event, tomorrow the die will be cast and I'll be gutted to see anything but Ruan & Stu at half back.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

Justin73 - Are you saying we should signed Jack Whitehall to add some much needed depth to the second row? I guess he can peruse the complexities of a ruck as well as the next man, so fits the bill perfectly. Does he have an Irish Granny or are you think 3 year project route?
:red: SUFTUM :red:
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Hallam Amos has been released to play for NGD on Fri.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Last edited by Neill_M on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I Hump featured on bbc rugby extra this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35482963

Must be Inspector Browne next week... :stir: