Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Post by bazzaj »

I love the Olympics(dressage asides) and I think that the incredible performances of team Gb has helped restore and unify a bit of national pride that had been fractured by the EU referendum fallout.
Since the Atlantic debacle in 96 where we achieved one gold medal, lottery investment particularly has transformed our success.

However I used to love athletics but that love died with the 1988 mens Olympic final.
Now I am convinced that all the power athletes are doping.
I have heard the top ones have their personal chemists who are employed to camoflage and regulate their abuse.
The lesser ones can get their orders online as a recent BBC journalist Mark Dalyand club cyclist unveiled.
When he did that it improved his performance by 7% and he passed a drugs test all unassisted.

The thing that jars with me is that athletes past and present refuse to condemn cheats such as Gatland which tells a story in itself.
Adam Gemille being a recent exception, along with our swimmers when dopers deprived us of medals in the pool

The whole thing stinks but the only way to rid ourselves of these cheats is 24 surveillance or lifetime bans.
Bolt may win the plaudits but for me he is the athletics version of Lance Armstrong.
I want to believe it but when he's cantering quicker than the dopers you've got to smell the coffee.

Jamaicas drug 'regulators' don't exactly inspire confidence either.
They are a sham.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:Conlon is a tube. He won the World Championship under AIBA. The problem seems to be the scoring system which is a shambles. They seem to have changed the system as they have gone along.
Conlon has lost any respect that I had for him. Yes the defeat must be difficult for him but to give the officials the finger, curse them then go on social media and cry like a split child even blaming Putin. I am told that a judging decision the evening before was 10 times worse and that one of the judges was Irish…

Felt sorry for the French Pole Vaulter and the behaviour of the Brazilians to boo him for a second night when he stepped onto the podium as disgraceful.

Loved the cycling… well done Team GB
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Again with the boxing completely ruined the event by appointment of officials that are completely out of their depth at the expense of fulfilling quotas
Ridiculous.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote:I love the Olympics(dressage asides) and I think that the incredible performances of team Gb has helped restore and unify a bit of national pride that had been fractured by the EU referendum fallout.
Not sure about that. I find it increasingly difficult to disassociate "Team GB" from Team Little Brexit England. I enjoy the individual performances but absolutely despise the flag waving jingoism that goes with it.

The Beeb's coverage boils mine too. Can't stand the jolly hockey sticks presentation personified by Logan and Balding, and of course, there's Inverdale.

Hoy is a pretty good pundit though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Laura Ludwig was in good form last night.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Listening to a boxing expert on the radio last night and he clearly put the blame on the change of scoring and highlighted that some judges who had been asked to judge one way for 15 years now had to judge differently... instead of scoring as and when hit they now had to objectively review the round at the end... either way I though Conon showed let himself down by reacting on twitter and whipping up a storm on social media..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cockatrice wrote:Listening to a boxing expert on the radio last night and he clearly put the blame on the change of scoring and highlighted that some judges who had been asked to judge one way for 15 years now had to judge differently... instead of scoring as and when hit they now had to objectively review the round at the end... either way I though Conon showed let himself down by reacting on twitter and whipping up a storm on social media..
George Hook was in good form the day - telling Michael Carruth (who had dared to suggest that Hookie was hardly an expert) he was watching Olympic boxing before he was born.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

big mervyn wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I love the Olympics(dressage asides) and I think that the incredible performances of team Gb has helped restore and unify a bit of national pride that had been fractured by the EU referendum fallout.
Not sure about that. I find it increasingly difficult to disassociate "Team GB" from Team Little Brexit England. I enjoy the individual performances but absolutely despise the flag waving jingoism that goes with it.

The Beeb's coverage boils mine too. Can't stand the jolly hockey sticks presentation personified by Logan and Balding, and of course, there's Inverdale.

Find it odd that this was the least controversial point I made that has been challenged.
Can only assume everyone else agrees that the doping is rife and boxing is bent.

To pick up on the Beeb coverage I think it has been appalling.
The lack of scheduling information, the loathsome Balding, the bind optimism, the safe bland interviewing, the pc brigade, does me in.

Got to say enjoyed the swimming team particularly with Mark Foster and Becks.
Good chemistry, knowledge and chemistry knowledge accompanied with passion and not being afraid to be controversial.

Others should take note.
However it normally ends in a p45 with that lot.
Hence Balding the bland.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
It's not often I have the opportunity to say Mervyn yer talkin through yer hoop, but today it gives me considerable pleasure to announce Mervyn yer talkin through yer hoop! Ye big ballix :lol:

It's like the tubes who associate the Ulster provincial flag with the RA.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:

Team GB target minority sports that require funding that other poorer countries just can't match. It's all to improve their medal count. It's an ego trip and a hangover from colonialism. Cannot be bothered with much of it. Track cycling is a nauseating and truly weird event. Athletics is a much better leveller. Team GB's best athlete is a Muslim refugee. Love that.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Good to see a fatty doing well in the weemins golf. Sport fer all :thumleft:
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:... either way I though Conon showed let himself down by reacting on twitter and whipping up a storm on social media..
His social media outpourings were pretty tame and probably more acceptable than his RTE interview.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote:NI athletes are the kiss of death in this Olympics.
You were correct all along Mervyn, and not for the first time.

Tis lucky ye can claim some glory when Britain do well. Contribute feck all but share the spoils. A microcosm I guess. :D

We have 2 silvers which isn't too bad and a fantastic performance from Thomas Barr to win his semi final in the 400 metre hurdles to give him a chance in tomorrow's final. Think it is the first time in nearly 100 years there is an Irishman in the final in this event......may even be any sprint event but I am not certain.

The boxers need a kicking but I don't like boxing anyway so I watched none of it. I was disappointed with Ciara Mageean. I really thought she would make the final.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
big mervyn wrote:NI athletes are the kiss of death in this Olympics.
You were correct all along Mervyn, and not for the first time.

Tis lucky ye can claim some glory when Britain do well. Contribute feck all but share the spoils. A microcosm I guess. :D
Shur we've been doin that since 1922.