Ulster v Lions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Lions

Post by Big-al »

Tom o’toole will be back soon also. Think he was to put out for 4 weeks.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Evil Kiwi wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:12 pm Overall not a good performance. Some bright points though. Scott Wilson looks to be a potential find. Imagine producing your own prop! It could save years of signing plastic paddy duds. McCann again continues to impress. With Marty returning and Kitshoff soon, I think we have a fairly good scrummaging unit. The maul looked better but the lineout is a joke. Herring needs to unlearn the dubious lineout coaching from international camp.

I thought Flanney was decent again, a real alternative to Billy now. Hume looks to have his spark back after a flat year. Jacob getting his scoring touch back too.

Room to improve: lineouts, breakdown threat (Kitshoff will help), handling, getting Baloucoune involved (passing off the left sometimes an issue in the backline), the maul (it will improve as the pitch beds, it's ripping studs out ATM), etc...
Bobby still pulling up short and not engaging in garryowens.
Frustrating.

AOC still well off the pace. Ulster remain remarkably uncreative and flat especially in the backs

Ulster had long periods of possession where they broke against a limited Lions brick wall. They should've had more than enough for a BP- better teams will not let them claw back the double digit deficits of the past number of weeks.
Exterminate all rational thought
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Have to say, I'm quite enjoying Ravers, these days. The fun of sport is not the perfection of the players, it is the tension and the excitement of imperfections. Moments of genius, folly, guts, organisational incompetence and much more add up to the highs and lows that make it all work and bring us back week after week.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Getting concerned about how little involvement Bobby B is getting. He just doesn't look comfortable out there and is constantly stretching what appears to be calf or hamstring issues. Whether that is the pitch or a lack of confidence I don't know but ulster need to find a way of getting him in some open space or at least running off shoulders.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:51 pm Getting concerned about how little involvement Bobby B is getting. He just doesn't look comfortable out there and is constantly stretching what appears to be calf or hamstring issues. Whether that is the pitch or a lack of confidence I don't know but ulster need to find a way of getting him in some open space or at least running off shoulders.
He must go through a fortune in contact lenses in a season.
What stage has laser surgery got to these days?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:05 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:51 pm Getting concerned about how little involvement Bobby B is getting. He just doesn't look comfortable out there and is constantly stretching what appears to be calf or hamstring issues. Whether that is the pitch or a lack of confidence I don't know but ulster need to find a way of getting him in some open space or at least running off shoulders.
He must go through a fortune in contact lenses in a season.
What stage has laser surgery got to these days?
Daily disposables I'd imagine.

The auld contact lens is a great excuse for an unscheduled tactical break of course >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:33 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:11 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:08 am23
:salut:

And nearly all.Ulster born. One bright point.
I was only guessing but No9 hasn’t corrected me (yet)!

Predictably, last night’s fare has already prompted calls in some quarters for fresh coaches 🙄

Shame Wilson didn’t end up under the posts in front of the Family Stand - he’s no slouch by any means.
I didn't know myself, but have worked it out

Callum Reid (23), Tom Stewart (22), Scott Wilson (21), Harry Sheridan (22), Cormac Izuchukwu (23), Lorcan McLoughlin (21), Reuban Crothers (21), David McCann (23)

Nathan Doak (22), Jake Flannery (24), Ethan McIlroy (23), Jude Postletwaite (21), James Hume (25), Bobby Baloucoune (26), Stewart Moore (24)

Pack Average = 22 Backs Avg = 23.5 Team Avg - 22.75

I don't believe we are on the cusp of a golden era, what I do believe is worst case these kids are going to be better in 3 to 4 years time than they are now.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Interesting how quickly ML has dropped out of such speculation
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:47 am Interesting how quickly ML has dropped out of such speculation
He's almost exactly a year younger than BB (hard to believe he's in his 27th year :shock: ) so surely deserves a berth in that selection.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 pm Bobby still pulling up short and not engaging in garryowens.
Frustrating.
My view is that he has learnt when to compete and when to wait for his opponent to land and then tackle him.

He does challenge for the ball if he's up quickly enough to do so, but if he sees he can't challenge in the air, he's at least waiting for his opponnent to hit the ground.

He's quick to start the chase when a kick goes up, giving himself the best chance to compete, but is able to decide when the ball is in the air whether he can win it legally - that is better than being a penalty machine for the opposition. He still goes up nearly every time when it's the opposition who put up a high ball on his wing.

He still doesn't come looking for the ball when it's not reaching his wing though in the way Jacob does, but that may or may not be under orders to hold his opponent wide. It surely can't be all the time though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:58 am . . . . and would someone please buy Jacob a pair of Velcro gloves ffs, moving on….
I lost count of the number of times I saw him getting spray adhesive applied to his mits - or swapped the lable on the can with the spray-on teflon?
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:19 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:33 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:11 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:08 am23
:salut:

And nearly all.Ulster born. One bright point.
I was only guessing but No9 hasn’t corrected me (yet)!

Predictably, last night’s fare has already prompted calls in some quarters for fresh coaches 🙄

Shame Wilson didn’t end up under the posts in front of the Family Stand - he’s no slouch by any means.
From the memorial end it looked as if the wet surface and his not inconsiderable mass x velocity would be enough from there, but alas no. Would have been the try of the season so far.
Definitely a sight to behold from side-ways on. He backed up an excellent debut with another great performance.

I can't wait to see what he can manage when he's built his fitness to that required at this level. He looks an exciting propsect.
I'm not arguing -
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:47 am Interesting how quickly ML has dropped out of such speculation
He has been injured too often this season.

If he’s in form there is a fullback/23 birth for him. Clearly a talented individual.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:44 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 pm Bobby still pulling up short and not engaging in garryowens.
Frustrating.
My view is that he has learnt when to compete and when to wait for his opponent to land and then tackle him.

He does challenge for the ball if he's up quickly enough to do so, but if he sees he can't challenge in the air, he's at least waiting for his opponnent to hit the ground.

He's quick to start the chase when a kick goes up, giving himself the best chance to compete, but is able to decide when the ball is in the air whether he can win it legally - that is better than being a penalty machine for the opposition. He still goes up nearly every time when it's the opposition who put up a high ball on his wing.

He still doesn't come looking for the ball when it's not reaching his wing though in the way Jacob does, but that may or may not be under orders to hold his opponent wide. It surely can't be all the time though.
Capn I trace it back to the time he got a suspension for a poor aerial challenge a couple of years ago- hasn't competed with the same venom since and visibly pulls up more often than not. Opponents know they have a clear jump to secure and present on his wing. Contrast to Stockdale , although 5 times out of 10 he knocks it on...

Bobby's near 27 and should be at his peak but there seems imo a significant confidence issue that's stalled him ( plus repeated 'string injuries) similar to JS, who at last seems to be regaining a lot of his previous mojo that made him one of the form wingers in the world.
BB has so much latent talent, pace and indeed defensive guts, but somethings not right, and i don't believe its just him not going hunting for the ball or indeed tactical.
He should've had a hatful of caps by now- Keet at the RWC was a case in point for both wingers, but at least JS is back on an upward trajectory- i'd love to see BB doing similar.

I have changed my opinion on him being lazy- it's a mental thing imo.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:25 am
He has been injured too often this season.

If he’s in form there is a fullback/23 birth for him. Clearly a talented individual.
Doesn't gave the length of defensive boot Addison or Moore has. Lovely, brave player but is he a luxury at 15 if Addison is ever fit and Moore not at 13?
Not a winger either- exposed on garrys and bigger wingers. Back to the 9/10 debate..