Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: 6 Nations 2024

Post by solidarity »

Neill_M wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:57 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:04 pm
big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:04 pm They didn't show it so many times, but I thought his 2nd offence should only have been a yellow.
But he really needs to modernise his game.
Good chance that it may be downgraded on appeal. Didn't affect the game as he was gone anyway and you get the feeling that he was being additionally penalised for serial offending on the night.
Can a yellow be appealed or downgraded?
Not that I am aware, the offence needs to be considered a sending off level offence (open to correction of course).
Was it not upgraded to a red after he went off? That can be appealed and downgraded.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

No Ulstermen on the team. Biggest win ever in France. Correlation but not causation... I assume. :roll:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:32 pm
big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:04 pm They didn't show it so many times, but I thought his 2nd offence should only have been a yellow.
Good chance that it may be downgraded on appeal. Didn't affect the game as he was gone anyway and you get the feeling that he was being additionally penalised for serial offending on the night.
Not that I am aware, the offence needs to be considered a sending off level offence (open to correction of course).
Was it not upgraded to a red after he went off? That can be appealed and downgraded.
...or ...the appeals committee could upgrade the first yellow to a red and he would become the first player in history to receive two red cards in the same game. :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

big mervyn wrote:
Yes Willemse's 2nd offence was upgraded to a red and that can appealed etc.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Neill_M wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Good chance that it may be downgraded on appeal. Didn't affect the game as he was gone anyway and you get the feeling that he was being additionally penalised for serial offending on the night.
Yes Willemse's 2nd offence was upgraded to a red and that can appealed etc.
So they are essentially appealing the straight red which would likely get a longer ban than 2 yellows? They are unlikely to succeed in convincing anyone it didn't deserve to be a 2nd yellow card.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

His problem will be that it was the same offence repeated twice -- and the offence being one that is considered foul play rather say a repeat of an like off side or failure to release and therefore subject to review to being up graded during the game.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sir Ivor wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:07 am My God, France were awful and were outplayed just about everywhere. International centres? I’d sooner have Stu and Hume? 2nd row? Sooner have had Ulster’s. Totally embarrassing defence.
They were surprisingly poor, notwithstanding DuPont’s absence.

Regarding the centres, Danty does just fine for LR but Fickou has looked a bit suspect for a while. Can’t believe he’s only 29 as he seems to have been around for ever.

No idea why they played their spare centre on the wing instead of B-B.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:01 pm Lowes kicking actually was not superb he was lucky that the French return of non touch kicks was extremely poor . If you are kicking for touch make touch but kicking long without close followup can frequently be extremely dangerous since it gives away possession and if the return is fast you can be defending inside your own 22 very quickly.
I take the general pt, but don’t agree.

Lowe was consistently punting 45/50m from hand. Touch kicks from ire 22 we consistently landing inside the fr 10m line - he didn’t miss touch once. Lowe did 1 slice from own 5m where it landed just outside our22 in touch that was his only error. Lowes Luck was the punt that avoided going dead by a ft.
Ultimately ires kick chase was good, and their d overall. If fr fail to counter effectively that’s on them. Ultimately it was a team strategy lowe followed, keep the fr moving denying them breathers by avoiding putting the ball in touch more than necessary.

Apart from his kicking lowe kept penaud pretty quiet overall, he had a few big d moments, an intercept, maul turnover, excellent gainline carries in beirnes and Nash tries….and was even in Kellehers maul try.

As it happens I’d also say that match performance red card or not, was more than enough evidence to assess where this ire team is at. Ireland were excellent.
Brilliant handling - first handling error in 24th min.
Low scrum numbers in game show how accurate and efficient ire were.
Ruck speed ridiculous, they were in a different league to France all game long. They were far more physical than fr often dominating the gainline.
Shaun edwards summed it up….ire coughed up possession 4 times all game….ridiculous accuracy. They were miles ahead of all the others teams this weekend. This accuracy prevented ire falling into a slow set piece arm wrestle with fr, which would likely have happened v every other side this weekend. They even kept the crowd quiet for the first 35mins of the game. Fr heads were down
Because they knew ire were too good for them.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep.

Not sure Bundee is just a flat track bully any more….

TB was MOTM for me though.

Rumours that the 6N are insisting that Faz picks a few Ulster players to keep it interesting.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

A few ulster players could be picked against England without much likelihood of affecting the result.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

'A few ulster players could be picked against England without much likelihood of affecting the result.'

A few ulster players could be picked against Wales without much likelihood of affecting the result.
A few ulster players could be picked against Scotland without much likelihood of affecting the result.
A few ulster players could be picked against Italy without much likelihood of affecting the result.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:02 pm 'A few ulster players could be picked against England without much likelihood of affecting the result.'

A few ulster players could be picked against Wales without much likelihood of affecting the result.
A few ulster players could be picked against Scotland without much likelihood of affecting the result.
A few ulster players could be picked against Italy without much likelihood of affecting the result.
I suppose Eng might rise to the occasion and put it up to Ireland at Twickers but it's hard to see them winning.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:41 am His problem will be that it was the same offence repeated twice .....
His problem was it was the same offence repeated once.

He was sent off to prevent any possibilty that he might repeat it twice.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Pedantic Sir Pedantic!!! he-- when sent off had already repeated the same offence and was sent off to avoid it occurring a third time
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:49 am Pedantic Sir Pedantic!!! he-- when sent off had already repeated the same offence and was sent off to avoid it occurring a third time
Correct, Rumn - yer learnin'. :D

So, just to be clear, he had repeated the same offence once, and was sent off as punishment, which also avoided the possibility of it occurring a third time.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right