anthem row revisited :)

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: anthem row revisited :)

Post by scrum5 »

Actually thought that Ireland's Call was sang louder on saturday and with more passion than Amhran na bhFiann... though that could have been because 5 or 6 thousand Ulstermen joined in on Ireland's Call :duck: :lol:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

scrum5 wrote:Actually thought that Ireland's Call was sang louder on saturday and with more passion than Amhran na bhFiann... though that could have been because 5 or 6 thousand Ulstermen joined in on Ireland's Call :duck: :lol:
I was standing beside a >TM from Cork and he sang Irelands Call louder than Amhran na bhFiann, said it was his grannys favorite tune and she remembered the black and tans taking pot shots at her windows :shock: :lol:
Wonder was it combatlogo cos he had the same fellings about anthems and flags :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Deedsie
Novice

Post by Deedsie »

Shan wrote:
Deedsie wrote:Well if the IRFU was to make it clear that if Northern Ireland adopted an official Anthem and Flag. Then Irish games in Ravers could have the NI anthem played alongside Irelands Call? That would be equality in my book anyway.

Then perhaps we could even play alternating anthems at away games?
Why would we want to do this though? It would not solve the anthem issue.Also you said in an earlier post you wished to "get rid of Ireland's Call once and for all" yet you are now suggesting you wish to have it maintained.It's not very clear what exactly you are looking for.
I dont want to really get into this. However, equality on the anthems issue is what i am looking for. And i would love it to be looked at before the next world cup.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Deedsie wrote:
Shan wrote:
Deedsie wrote:Well if the IRFU was to make it clear that if Northern Ireland adopted an official Anthem and Flag. Then Irish games in Ravers could have the NI anthem played alongside Irelands Call? That would be equality in my book anyway.

Then perhaps we could even play alternating anthems at away games?
Why would we want to do this though? It would not solve the anthem issue.Also you said in an earlier post you wished to "get rid of Ireland's Call once and for all" yet you are now suggesting you wish to have it maintained.It's not very clear what exactly you are looking for.
I dont want to really get into this. However, equality on the anthems issue is what i am looking for. And i would love it to be looked at before the next world cup.
:scratch: At the world cup only Ireland's call will be played as it will not be breing played in Ireland. There is a lot of common sense talked on this board along with a lot of crap. The IRFU knows what it should have done when they commissioned Irelands call as the uniting Rugby anthem. Love it or hate it, it was the right thing to do, and it is more than adequate. Unfortunately they bottled it at the time and went for a half assed two anthem solution for games in LR rather than uising Ireland's call and the presedential salute. Once they had done that once they were never going to be able to do anything else.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Ambulance for YoungMan :roll:
YoungMan wrote:Billy Connolly, back when he was funny young and good looking (bit like a young Captn Grumpy), ................
I have it on good authority* that Captn Grumpy was NEVER young OR good looking.

Even when he was born he had the yard brush on his chin and the midwife slapped the wrong end ..... and it's gone down hill from there... :duck:

* Good authority = ulsterfan09 ........ so maybe NOT that good then! :wink:
combatlogo
Novice

Post by combatlogo »

Rooster wrote:
scrum5 wrote:Actually thought that Ireland's Call was sang louder on saturday and with more passion than Amhran na bhFiann... though that could have been because 5 or 6 thousand Ulstermen joined in on Ireland's Call :duck: :lol:
I was standing beside a >TM from Cork and he sang Irelands Call louder than Amhran na bhFiann, said it was his grannys favorite tune and she remembered the black and tans taking pot shots at her windows :shock: :lol:
Wonder was it combatlogo cos he had the same fellings about anthems and flags :?
Never been so insulted in my life!!! :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

combatlogo wrote:
Rooster wrote:
:mexican: :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Munsterboy
Novice

Post by Munsterboy »

I wonder if the IRFU will drop the anthem and just go with Ireland's Call when we go back to LR. I have a feeling the more conservative GAA lads would have been upset by such a move during our stay in Croker.
We're all red on the inside.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Deedsie wrote:

Nobody forced you to get involved and having another anthem doesn't equal anthem equality.To keep with protocol we have an anthem and there should only be one played.That should be Ireland's Call unless the IRFU wish to commission another anthem.

When we attend matches we are going to see rugby being played.If people want a music show they should attend a concert.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

combatlogo wrote:
That would be a compliment biy, sure isn't Cork the greatest place on the planet. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Munsterboy wrote:I wonder if the IRFU will drop the anthem and just go with Ireland's Call when we go back to LR. I have a feeling the more conservative GAA lads would have been upset by such a move during our stay in Croker.
I doubt it.There is no public pressure to have it removed but there would be a hell of a lot if they binned it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Munsterboy wrote:I wonder if the IRFU will drop the anthem and just go with Ireland's Call when we go back to LR. I have a feeling the more conservative GAA lads would have been upset by such a move during our stay in Croker.
That's a new word for it! :oman: