Ulster - Glasgow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster - Glasgow

Post by Rooster »

gannonman wrote:i can tell you one thing. I am 100 times more excited about this than the RWC!
What's this RWC thing people are on about ? Ulster at Ravenhill on tomorrow night :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Could it be that the selection of Spence at 12 is an Irish/Kidney directive?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Could it be that the selection of Spence at 12 is an Irish/Kidney directive?
Please god noooo!!! There was enough meddling from DK last year with PW at 10. It's 4 and a bit years til the next world cup. Jut leave it to BMcL to bring on Ulster's youngsters, he has done well enough so far!!

:salut: :red: :salut:
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

browner wrote:Could it be that the selection of Spence at 12 is an Irish/Kidney directive?

Go for it browner. Although my gut feeling is that Kidney is probably leaving it up to the provinces to have their say whilst he is away.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bootlaced wrote:
browner wrote:Could it be that the selection of Spence at 12 is an Irish/Kidney directive?

Go for it browner. Although my gut feeling is that Kidney is probably leaving it up to the provinces to have their say whilst he is away.
Got it now, Deccy reads UR teamsheet and is very happy with Spence at 12, no BBC coverage down under in NZ so Whitten wears 11 shirt but plays at 12 and Spence plays with 12 shirt out on the wing.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ian Whitten named on the wing doesn't look right on the team sheet. Could it work though? Has he got the attributes to play on the wing?

Well he is a strapping 16 odd stone lad. He is solid if unspectacular in possession and usually runs pretty good lines from memory. Would be an excellent one on one tackler against most opposition which is important for a winger. It remains to be seen whether he could master the positional play, catching and kicking abilities required. Although with Humph usually occupying a deeper fielding role kicking may not be especially high on the skill set list.

Perhaps it is a one off, but perhaps it is a plausible attempt by the player himself and management to get the most out of the guy who promised alot yet was overtaken by younger players coming through with more dynamism. Maybe its McGlocks developing his squad to give him more options for a successful heiny cup campaign. Imagine playing Leicester and Tuilagi (big bruv) is humping the hell out of us, bring on big Ian to attempt to quash his efficacy. We all slate the coaches for not having a gameplan never mind a plan B. Maybe this could be plan B or even C.

We could speculate all day and night but I'm giving Brian the benefit of doubt and say g'wan my good man dare to be different. Coaches/posters live and die by these decisions/posts :salut:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Only question I would ask about Whitten on the wing is does he have the genuine pace needed to play there. I could see him coming inside a lot in defence and standing in the 10 position to protect Ian Humph (due to his weak tackling and weak shoulder at the moment) a man just back from shoulder surgery really doesn't need an 18 stone back row running into him all night.

But would he have the gas to go 50/60 metres like Gilroy (who was almost caught last week by Mike Brown from the other side of the pitch) and if he does line up on the wing, would Seymour have the pace to ghost around him or can Whitten keep up?
Mary had a little lamb . . .
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Interesting that Mulligan is saying Gaston isn't injured. Hope this move works out for us tonight, I am quietly confident of a comfortable win.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Let's hope then guys remember their discipline. Weir is a fantastic goal kicker from 60 metres in.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Can't remember the last time we played them, did we have NOC who had a 75% kicking average from 6 meters in?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Remember Weir kicking from his own half, massive boot on the kid and pretty strong runner as well
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I only hope we aren't too complacent and stroll out thinking we'll walk it..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Can't see that to be honest ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Cornerfleg wrote:Can't see that to be honest ...
Some fans seem to be getting a tad arrogant
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Arrogance can be a help and hinderance. There is no reason why our guys should take the pitch feeling we're no good or up for a hammering. There is no reason why the fans should not expect - demand a high level of skill commitment and determination from the team.

But thinking it's in the beg before it kicks off is stupid. I'm not predicting who will win tonight ... I just want to see some effort and decent execution from our lads. Last year the we played near faultless rugby v Cardiff, that's what we should be aspiring to thuis year on more than one occasion. If we do results will take care of themselves if we don't then it's a bad hair day.