Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Post by Joe Schmo »

BaggyTrousers wrote:proceed to your sequences of immolation
:lol: excellent use of the verb immolare. I had hoped people would have been able to identify the qualities our 21 year old out-half possesses long before Friday night Baggy. However Friday nights result has meant that the whinging gimps are using a good night at the kicking tee as the clear evidence they needed to declare him a suitable candidate for the 10 shirt. For this double immolation.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Russ wrote:
I was however I little annoyed when Gillers went off, to not see Olding come on at fullback.
I assume that this was more to do with breaking Olding back in than anything, after all he has had a long enough lay off with injury, this was his first match back, and it was really very early in the game. Should he have come on then felt a niggle or been not quite up to the remaining (?) 60 minutes then we would have had an issue
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Unless PW is back in the fold of the available Ulster are light in cover at 12 therefore I believe Olding didn't come on at Full Back when Gilroy was injured , The management stuck to their original intention to bring him on for Marshall at 12 mid second half.

Anyway I would think Mcilwaine has more experience at full back having played in that position in Doncaster.

just hope Gilroy,s injury is nothing significant and the substitution was precautionary i know we saw it covered by the Ice bag but that doesn't necessarily mean the injury was that serious at the time but could have been if he played to the finish.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rumncoke wrote: just hope Gilroy,s injury is nothing significant and the substitution was precautionary i know we saw it covered by the Ice bag but that doesn't necessarily mean the injury was that serious at the time but could have been if he played to the finish.
He already had strapping on that ankle so perhaps he had a niggle and taking him off was best option to prevent more damage.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Positives- PJ slotting his kicks with the tigers game coming up....the pack showing solidity......Olding back on the pitch.

Negatives- Gilroy getting injured.....Alun Winge Jones sarcastically smiling and gubbing off to the ref the whole game everytime a decision went ulsters way....tosser..........
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Beattiespastie wrote:Negatives- .....Alun Winge Jones sarcastically smiling and gubbing off to the ref the whole game everytime a decision went ulsters way....tosser..........
A number of people I know have comment on his constant smiling - to be fair, I think it's just that he uses a very white gum shield and when you are gasping for breath, it just looks like a big grin. Not sure it is limited to when decisions go against him, just when he's breathing hard - which quite often is when the cameras zoom in on him. Using coloured or two tone gumshields as many do, doesn't give the same impression.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:Negatives- .....Alun Winge Jones sarcastically smiling and gubbing off to the ref the whole game everytime a decision went ulsters way....tosser..........
A number of people I know have comment on his constant smiling - to be fair, I think it's just that he uses a very white gum shield and when you are gasping for breath, it just looks like a big grin. Not sure it is limited to when decisions go against him, just when he's breathing hard - which quite often is when the cameras zoom in on him. Using coloured or two tone gumshields as many do, doesn't give the same impression.
I don't care if he smiles as long as he yaps at the ref, think the gibbon got fed up with him on Friday.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

A worry of mine is JP qualifies for Ireland, Schmitt won't drop Rob 'Turnstile' Kearney and we see JP shoehorned into 13, permanently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

>appl >appl >appl 100% JB, it's "numpty flavour of the month" around here at present to see who we can suggest playing out of position next.

Sometimes you just want to slap some chube, eh?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mike wrote:

complained? thats just ballix.

here's what I said..........

Snipe Watson wrote:
Much as I like luke's hard running game. Olding looks full of game and possibly a very special player.

he didn't get much of a sniff tonight but he's very composed. I was a little worried about his lack of bulk but he's very smart when he goes into contact and presents the ball very quickly- his defence also looks good so far-
he's a superb prospect, can't wait to see more of him.

i said that i was a little worried about his lack of bulk but it's pretty clear that I don't see it as a hindrance to his progression.
Any chance you could forget you're not in school & use capital letters & the other regular conventions of HM's English language?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

A worry of mine is JP qualifies for Ireland, Schmitt won't drop Rob 'Turnstile' Kearney and we see JP shoehorned into 13, permanently.

That's why I put Jared at 13, because it looks like that's where he's going to play in the future. Would rather have him at fullback but that's looking increasingly less likely. Similar to Hendo, I think Olding and Skymarshall are too good not to both start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Ach Shammy, just when I was getting used to you fighting the good fight, you want to Cave in to the demand's of Dublin, a shower who only want to keep us down.

My understanding is that the current Irish coach can make requests to have players in certain positions on occasions, as has irritatingly happened with Paddy Wallace & Tom Court in recent seasons.

They do not have the power to insist on a player playing permanently out of position. Jared Payne at 13 is out of position.

Ulster Says No to Meddling Joe. >threaten >threaten >threaten

I hope we will always play our players in their best position other than to occasionally help the national coach.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Joe Schmo wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:proceed to your sequences of immolation
:lol: excellent use of the verb immolare. I had hoped people would have been able to identify the qualities our 21 year old out-half possesses long before Friday night Baggy. However Friday nights result has meant that the whinging gimps are using a good night at the kicking tee as the clear evidence they needed to declare him a suitable candidate for the 10 shirt. For this double immolation.
Absolutely correct Joe, barring the Dragons game where all hands were cupable for a rotten performance, Ginger Prince has been excellent and as you say, the idiots amongst us detect a difference solely because he kicked his goals.

Burn them.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
shamalicious wrote:

That's why I put Jared at 13, because it looks like that's where he's going to play in the future. Would rather have him at fullback but that's looking increasingly less likely. Similar to Hendo, I think Olding and Skymarshall are too good not to both start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Ach Shammy, just when I was getting used to you fighting the good fight, you want to Cave in to the demand's of Dublin, a shower who only want to keep us down.

My understanding is that the current Irish coach can make requests to have players in certain positions on occasions, as has irritatingly happened with Paddy Wallace & Tom Court in recent seasons.

They do not have the power to insist on a player playing permanently out of position. Jared Payne at 13 is out of position.

Ulster Says No to Meddling Joe. >threaten >threaten >threaten

I hope we will always play our players in their best position other than to occasionally help the national coach.
Fair points Baggy. I dislike D4 as much as the next person. If they're only able to have Jared at 13 the odd game, then happy days. My feeling was that it looks like they want him to play there on a more regular basis. I think I also read somewhere (here maybe?) that 13 is his preferred position.

I agree that he seems to be more effective at fullback, but how do we address Olding vs Marshall? They will both have plenty of opportunities as the season progresses I'm sure, but it'd be harsh on whoever has to bench as I think they're both very special players.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

I would suspect that should D4 want Paynr to play 13, he may well himself want to comply. He is very keen to play international rugby after all. With Gilly at 15 it also answers the question of what to do when Tommy, Andy and Gilly are all fit, three players who we would like to be starting. That back three with payne at 13 olding/Marshall at 12 is one hell of a scary line for any team to face
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He was happy to play 13 for his last season in NZ
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Snipe Watson wrote:He was happy to play 13 for his last season in NZ
http://youtu.be/vuFbSHDJ_fI

Not that any of us need evidence that he has the skills, just for interest.