Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Post by Shan »

BR wrote: His social media outpourings were pretty tame and probably more acceptable than his RTE interview.
Just watched that interview now on youtube to see what the fuss is about. Imagine that on BBC. The modern stiff upper lip brigade.....AKA the most bland and boring feckers on the face of the planet........would have died. Well actually they'd have stopped the interview being aired as soon as the second "f-ck" escaped his foul mouth. :D

Bit of a storm in a teacup although certainly beyond the pale. The accusations in such a setting being worse than the language, even if there is any truth in it. I could watch the fight and I wouldn't know who should have won so I can't be ársed with it. Silly "sport" which possibly should be outlawed, or at least kept well away from polite society.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Dave wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I love the Olympics(dressage asides) and I think that the incredible performances of team Gb has helped restore and unify a bit of national pride that had been fractured by the EU referendum fallout.
Not sure about that. I find it increasingly difficult to disassociate "Team GB" from Team Little Brexit England. I enjoy the individual performances but absolutely despise the flag waving jingoism that goes with it.

The Beeb's coverage boils mine too. Can't stand the jolly hockey sticks presentation personified by Logan and Balding, and of course, there's Inverdale.

Hoy is a pretty good pundit though.
Team GB target minority sports that require funding that other poorer countries just can't match. It's all to improve their medal count. It's an ego trip and a hangover from colonialism. Cannot be bothered with much of it. Track cycling is a nauseating and truly weird event. Athletics is a much better leveller. Team GB's best athlete is a Muslim refugee. Love that.
You missed my point Dave athletics is not a level playing field with other countries less adequate anti doping measures enforced.
Say what you want about dressage but at least you can say it was run cleanly.

As for cycling, rowing, gymnastics, golf,tennis or swimming, where Gb has had success, I would not dismiss them simply as minority sports.
Not exactly modern pentathlon, fencing, archery or equestrian in minority sporting terms
If it's not football in this country or rugby or cricket people don't want to know.
Most sports have had participants from other traditional big countries in any case

Case in point I had actually heard of Adam Peaty long before the games.
I can recall the BBC news leaving him to a small mention at the end of their broadcast by the way footnote when he broke the world record a year ago, choosing instead to lead with extended highlights from a non significant division 2 football game.
Thats why he's not the household name he should have been.

Good that now they are all getting the recognition their darn hard work warrants.
Harder than most fruitballers in any case.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:
BR wrote: His social media outpourings were pretty tame and probably more acceptable than his RTE interview.
Just watched that interview now on youtube to see what the fuss is about. Imagine that on BBC. The modern stiff upper lip brigade.....AKA the most bland and boring feckers on the face of the planet........would have died. Well actually they'd have stopped the interview being aired as soon as the second "f-ck" escaped his foul mouth. :D

Bit of a storm in a teacup although certainly beyond the pale. The accusations in such a setting being worse than the language, even if there is any truth in it. I could watch the fight and I wouldn't know who should have won so I can't be ársed with it. Silly "sport" which possibly should be outlawed, or at least kept well away from polite society.
Boxing is a bit unique though. He can say what he likes about the IABA, and as he says himself, he has a full career ahead of him in the pro sport.

Agree though that, even ignoring the alleged corruption, amateur boxing doesn't look very well organised, what with the scoring changes and the nonsense of the women continuing to wear hats.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
Shan wrote:

Boxing is a bit unique though. He can say what he likes about the IABA, and as he says himself, he has a full career ahead of him in the pro sport.

Agree though that, even ignoring the alleged corruption, amateur boxing doesn't look very well organised, what with the scoring changes and the nonsense of the women continuing to wear hats.
No bad language but Inverdale nearly had a heart attack when he started making allegations of corruption. Couldn't get rid of him quick enough :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Some of the judges have been sent home.
Aiba said that, after 239 bouts in Rio, "less than a handful of the decisions were not at the level expected".
"We have a lot of educating to do and a lot of evaluating to do," Aiba official Tom Virgets told the BBC.
"Along the way we have to sharpen the blade with our officials, with more training, more evaluation."

The federation has since confirmed: "The concerned referees and judges will no longer officiate at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games."
Is this a big problem here because an Irish boxer is involved, or is it an actual major problem?
Commentators were questioning results in diving earlier today.

If you have new rules and some judges who may not be the sharpest tools in the box along with a seemingly arbitrary and definitely subjective situation. You're going to have anomalies.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Think the bbc pundits have to be bland and non controversial not through choice.
Inverdale himself was hung out to dry over comments directed at a female tennis player.
No previous years of good conduct considered or second chances.
Instant demotion.
That's why you end up with bland box tickers like Balding and Inverdale is scared of his own shadow for fear of his job.

Also did anyone know that it is actual Bbc policy to contain at least one female on any panel show?
Also they have spent 28 million of licence payers money on hush clauses in their employees contracts?

Saw a black bloke in a wheelchair do a travel programme on the bbc.
Sums it up.
If only they took asmuch of a sanctimonious line with pedophiles.
Last edited by bazzaj on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Bazz.... the German that finished 2nd in the Dressage has previously been banned for positive testing.... so not that clean.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cockatrice wrote:Bazz.... the German that finished 2nd in the Dressage has previously been banned for positive testing.... so not that clean.
Ripped to the titts on Pimms.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Brilliant cockers.
I stand wonderfully corrected.
What drugs would you need to improve a dressage routine though?
Cafine would be the obvious one or a disco biscuit for the horse maybe
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote:Brilliant cockers.
Like athletes, I'm sure there are illegal drugs that can be used to help the horse strengthen muscle or recover from injury.
Bound to be stuff that can also help the animal focus - equine Ritalin?
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Brilliant cockers.
Like athletes, I'm sure there are illegal drugs that can be used to help the horse strengthen muscle or recover from injury.
Bound to be stuff that can also help the animal focus - equine Ritalin?
The equine world has been rotten with drugs for years, and thats just the horses !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Researching this you are all spot on including a ban for Irelands great medal hope Denis Lynch who was banned in Beijing for doping his horse for giving him a deep heat type treatment that was on the banned list.
Well I never!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Bazz.... the German that finished 2nd in the Dressage has previously been banned for positive testing.... so not that clean.
Was that not the horse that tested positive?
It's not the people who get caught for taking some of Granny's cold remedy that are the problem. It's the systematic organised teams and countries with their fake willies and all sorts. In my layman's opinion doping is impossible to police with anything other than token success.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Anyone seen the bloke ironing the beach behind Dan Walker? Quality.

I like the BBC coverage, other than Inverdale obviously. Helen Skelton, Ore Oduba, Mark Chapman and Clare Balding are excellent and of course, Hazel Irvine can do no wrong.

Oh aye my mother thinks Dan Walker is lovely.