Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Post by Dave »

When's the team announcement?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

This Saturday, Lest We Forget, is DAY 4487. And if we do win then by coincidence it will be DAY 4500 on the day we then play Glasgow. Which begs the question ---- Will the URSC be doing anything to commemorate this particular anniversary of that Day of Infamy? Probably not.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Pimpmac wrote:
Bart S wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:
eeyore wrote:That said, as regular attender for 17 years and season ticket holder for past 12 years, I'll not darken the doors nor give another penny to the ># IRFU after their treatment of Paddy and Stu
Fairplay. I know you are not the only one but people seem to refuse to acknowledge this is even an issue.
I have to admit, I'm surprised that quite a few on here are clear they have walked solely because of this. I wonder how far that is reflected in people outside UAFC.

I also wonder are there others coming at it from the other direction? [i.e. no longer go to Ravenhill as they mistakenly believe that its full of folks with no respect for wummin]
You are right in that there will have been an impact from people who see a toxic culture and not a place they want to take their kids or whatever. May be more occasional supporters but still add to the gates. These will be the kind of supporters the CEO will be trying to win back over time. I think all the factors raised will have some impact although difficult to quantify. Having a game smack bang in the middle of a holiday weekend doesn't help. Also not just an Ulster problem as euro semi in Coventry showed.

The fact that Ulster was able to fill the ground in mid Jan vs Racing shows the fanbase is still there but needs something to pull in the less regular fans.
I’m not so sure that you’re right in your thoughts that a lot of the reasons for reduced numbers are down to the occasional supporters that are not coming in and why numbers are dropping. Yes they have an impact and let’s be honest a lot of businesses are finding “footfall” difficult at the moment so UR is not immune to this.

That being said I’m in the same position as Ovalballs. I had 2 season tickets for the past 10 years and for all the reasons outlined by Mr Balls, I’m out and won’t be back until I see change. I’ve stood on the terraces for 30 years, travelled across the UK, Ireland and Europe with UR but haven’t and won’t be back until there is change in Dublin, either through pressure from UR or from fans. I have no real voice and can only vote with my money or lack of. Two of my mates don’t go either so there is 4 season tickets down from last year alone.

Surely as a rugby man I am the type of person the CEO should be targeting rather than the occasional fan. But maybe they’re more easily persuaded/duped than me....
Perhaps but how exactly would you like the CEO to pander to you, sorry target you?

And what do you wish to happen in Dublin? Ireland have all 4 teams in the play-offs, a genuine shout at the WC and Ulster looks as healthy as they have done for years (thanks to half a team of Dubliners admittedly).

What are your thoughts on how Hendy has dealt with it all?
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Pander...now don’t be a Brennan...I’m not the CEO so why should I do his job for him? The previous contributor discussed the necessity of the CEO targeting the occasional supporter. However, not sure that’s exactly the right approach as the occasional supporter is just that.

What is required is actions that demonstrate that UR and thus the IRFU put their customer first and that is the paying public. I don’t give a fiddlers feck for Ireland, not my team and clearly don’t have a genuine shout for the World Cup unless their is an 18 month rewind option on players career peak.

I don’t see fairness in approach between the provinces and ultimately I have witnessed decisions that fundamentally affect the product on offer, and as a consumer I’m within my rights to walk away. If you feel the decisions are grand, that UR is in a better place and are supportive of the D4 decision making factory then good on you.

So how many years are we talking about Ulster looking healthy, have you no memory? We have seen more false dawns than I can even remember. UR have had a better than expected last 6 months (with expectation at zero) but if the last decade is anything to go by it will be short lived and one major transition after another will hit them.

In regards to Hendy I have absolutely no opinion on that and how can anyone comment on a guy few on here really know. He’s a professional rugby player, he gets paid and does his job...bit like the rest of us. He has handled it as expected of him and why would he not?? :scratch:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Pimpmac wrote:I don’t see fairness in approach between the provinces and ultimately I have witnessed decisions that fundamentally affect the product on offer, and as a consumer I’m within my rights to walk away.
Not that long ago that folks on here were complaining that Ulster didn't regard us as supporters anymore, were are now consumers; and Ulster Rugby no longer played matches, they delivered product.

Obviously one person bought their spin anyway. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Billy Burns is Hendo's new best mate. He moved on.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Pimpmac wrote:What is required is actions that demonstrate that UR and thus the IRFU put their customer first and that is the paying public.

I don’t see fairness in approach between the provinces and ultimately I have witnessed decisions that fundamentally affect the product on offer, and as a consumer I’m within my rights to walk away.
Its probably worth examining this a bit - who knows - maybe someone from UR or IRFU does peruse this nut house :lol:

Can you list a few things you'd like to see change? [please don't list "I wouldn't have done this or that" - what is done is done and we don't have a time machine.]

I'd *guess* your looking at something like:
- province has complete control over transfers (of any player not under existing contract to another province)
- province has complete control over renewal of existing contracts

Dunno what else - these seem to be the two things that gets most peoples' back's up.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Someone will do.

The transfer/contact thing takes some getting used to but, without it and without IRFU money, it seems almost certain that a good number of the best Irish players would be off and replaced with cheap foreign imports.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote:Billy Burns is Hendo's new best mate. He moved on.
That must be it Dave.

It's a good job he didn't just chuck his toys out of the pram.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

ovalballs wrote:Certainly not the only one. Have been a season ticket holder for many years and just can't bring myself to going anymore. Stu and Paddy who were banished against the will of approx 22,000 supporters was the final issue but not the only one. The treatment of Ruan and the general treatment of Ulster, for example not being allowed injury cover for Marcell our marque player when injured for the majority of the first 2 years, retaining Kiss when he was well past his sell by date.
I had the choice of continuing to attend as if nothing really happened or withdrawing my support. I choose the latter as it was the only statement I could make. I love the team and players but will not just accept IRFU decisions and move on. Interesting that in the last year there seems to be greater movement from the IRFU to bring in more players and to support Ulster more. In my view this is as a result of the people who no longer attend and the diminished support.
The IRFU probably just thought you had cricket nets all winter.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote:
ovalballs wrote:Certainly not the only one. Have been a season ticket holder for many years and just can't bring myself to going anymore. Stu and Paddy who were banished against the will of approx 22,000 supporters was the final issue but not the only one. The treatment of Ruan and the general treatment of Ulster, for example not being allowed injury cover for Marcell our marque player when injured for the majority of the first 2 years, retaining Kiss when he was well past his sell by date.
I had the choice of continuing to attend as if nothing really happened or withdrawing my support. I choose the latter as it was the only statement I could make. I love the team and players but will not just accept IRFU decisions and move on. Interesting that in the last year there seems to be greater movement from the IRFU to bring in more players and to support Ulster more. In my view this is as a result of the people who no longer attend and the diminished support.
Practicing googlies with oval balls ... :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
justinr73 wrote:
Practicing googlies with oval balls ... :shock:
Are everybody's googlies not oval? :shock: Should I see a doctor?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Number one and three should be Oval, number two’s shape can vary greatly.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster team to play Connacht, Guinness PRO14 quarter-final, Kingspan Stadium, Saturday 4th May 2019 (5.35pm):

(15-9): M Lowry; R Baloucoune, L Marshall, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; B Burns, J Cooney;
(1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), R Kane, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;

Replacements: R Herring, A Warwick, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, D Cave, A Kernohan.

CONNACHT STARTING XV & REPLACEMENTS VS ULSTER

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Stephen Fitzgerald, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Eoin McKeon, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (Capt).

Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Eoghan Masterson, Paul Boyle, Caolin Blade, Tom Daly, Darragh Leader.

Ulster 6 points favourites with PP.