The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Golf

Post by BaggyTrousers »

80 shots :duh:

Even I beat that the last time I played it from the back sticks in competition. :banghead:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Oh feck. What a bad day for Rory.

Padraig doing well. Gwan Padraig. Love to see him win it.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Rory seems to have a tendency to play sublime golf for one tournament then absolutely gash the next.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:Oh feck. What a bad day for Rory.

Indeed, one of the really decent guys in the game.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

shamalicious wrote:Rory seems to have a tendency to play sublime golf for one tournament then absolutely gash the next.
He played gash at Wentworth last week.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:Rory seems to have a tendency to play sublime golf for one tournament then absolutely gash the next.
For someone as prodigiously talented, he has a tendency to be much less consistent than other great players. Will probably be better with age at not throwing in rubbish but he has had a phenomenal run of late and mentally it catches up eventually.

Golf is 95% in the head - that's why I was prodigious. >EW :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:Oh feck. What a bad day for Rory.

Indeed, one of the really decent guys in the game.
Yip, Padraig would be a good one for the conditions too, he made his name scrambling on Irish links courses in gales of wind. It astonished me when he lost his game for a while for he is such an intelligent guy who thinks everything through. Good to see him winning again & this would be a great week for another win.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

On the bright side, good to see RCD holding its own. Can't see anybody tearing it up like Donaldson did to Portrush.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

ruckover wrote:On the bright side, good to see RCD holding its own. Can't see anybody tearing it up like Donaldson did to Portrush.
Give it a day or two, anyone under par could have a good crack at her weather dependent.

Royal Portrush had a bit of rain over the event but by and large was fairly decent, I remember sitting on the 15th with the sun lashing down on the afternoon of the second day, Saturday was damper admittedly.

RCD was hellish this morning, wind coming in from all angles then suddenly no angles.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Any links course no matter how good has no defence if it is relatively calm and the greens are damp. Not really the place for this but RCD to an extent is trick golf. Most links course have defined landing areas approaching greens, there are very few at RCD.

At Royal Portrush, you don't have the blind shots that RCD has and by and large if you play well you score well, not so at RCD, easier these days with the quality equipment perhaps, but in older days when you had to really strike the ball well or be destroyed you could play pretty well and shoot 80. No doubt RCD is the harder course to score on, but that is not down to pure difficulty,more to the trick nature of the place.

Those are the differences that in my view makes Royal Portrush the better course, but each to their own, too much good fortune required at RCD.

More importantly I have just watched the BBC NI coverage, feck me pink, awful crap, stupidly loud music, Winker pretending expertise. :roll:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Looks like the cut will be about +4 or +5. Rory fighting now and at +6. Needs to pick up another couple of shots in the last 3 holes.

Padraig not quite as good today but at -2 is just 3 off the lead and well in contention going into the 3rd day as long as someone doesn't burn up the course in the next few hours, which seems unlikely.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I don't like blind shots off the tee, I don't like how you're unable to see where your ball has finished up. Imagine how many golf balls are lost at the 9th at RCD - you have absolutely no idea where your ball has gone off the tee because there's a 60 ft drop behind a hill in front of you.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:I don't like blind shots off the tee, I don't like how you're unable to see where your ball has finished up. Imagine how many golf balls are lost at the 9th at RCD - you have absolutely no idea where your ball has gone off the tee because there's a 60 ft drop behind a hill in front of you.
You need an introduction to Hugh Fitzpatrick, a member of Mourne and a greenkeeper on RCD and a very decent man, many years back - I suppose Hugh may no longer be with us. hope I'm wrong - but no man knew RCD like Hugh, he could walk over those hills to your ball more or less guaranteed, very good player himself, played off 2 or 3 from memory, always had a good idea where you would be based n the line & how he felt you had hit it. Saved me a few shots & a brave few balls. >EW
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: You need an introduction to Hugh Fitzpatrick, a member of Mourne and a greenkeeper on RCD and a very decent man, many years back - I suppose Hugh may no longer be with us. hope I'm wrong - but no man knew RCD like Hugh, he could walk over those hills to your ball more or less guaranteed, very good player himself, played off 2 or 3 from memory, always had a good idea where you would be based n the line & how he felt you had hit it. Saved me a few shots & a brave few balls. >EW
You are starting to sound like Peter Aliss, talking about good golf folk nobody else has heard of from about 100 years ago. :D

Anyway Padraig now only one off the lead. Gwan Padraig ya good thing ya.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My old Da wasn't in love with RCD thought there were too many elevated greens which made the shot to the green a gamble unless you played the course often and really knew the greens or walked forward before the shot to study the placement of the hole .
This could of course mean a very slow game and less time in the bar .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist