The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: The Golf

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: This could of course mean a very slow game and less time in the bar .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We used to play the Allerton Municipal Course with a litre of screw top red wine. Just enough for 18 holes :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I never played RCD. Anyone I knew who played it, came home destroyed by the course and saying that by the time you had played it a dozen time you would be able to acquit yourself, but by that time you'd never want to see the place again.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Tiger Woods 85 at the Memorial Tournament.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: You need an introduction to Hugh Fitzpatrick, a member of Mourne and a greenkeeper on RCD and a very decent man, many years back - I suppose Hugh may no longer be with us. hope I'm wrong - but no man knew RCD like Hugh, he could walk over those hills to your ball more or less guaranteed, very good player himself, played off 2 or 3 from memory, always had a good idea where you would be based n the line & how he felt you had hit it. Saved me a few shots & a brave few balls. >EW
You are starting to sound like Peter Aliss, talking about good golf folk nobody else has heard of from about 100 years ago. :D

Anyway Padraig now only one off the lead. Gwan Padraig ya good thing ya.
It may not have been intended as such, but I'll take that as a compliment. The second best sports commentator of all time - I've heard them all by the way >EW - and only Richie Benaud was better than Peter. Cricket has had them in droves.

Incidentally, for those of consummate ignorance Peter Aliss was a greater golfer, his downfall being putting. He is the owner of the only personalised car number plate I have ever been able to tolerate, normally I consider it the sign of an utter dickhead.

Peter's is PUT 3.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Just watched a hole by hole preview of Chambers Bay where the US Open is being played. I can't decide if it is absolutely brilliant or just a freak show of a course.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Tiger Woods 85 at the Memorial Tournament.
It would take a better man than me not to laugh his scrotum off at that news. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Just watched a hole by hole preview of Chambers Bay where the US Open is being played. I can't decide if it is absolutely brilliant or just a freak show of a course.
Looks a remarkable place from what I've seen. In its favour it appears to have destroyed Woods who played a couple of practice rounds this week. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

It's a municipal course so it whilst it can be tricked up it has to have the foundation of a playable golf course, I reckon the USGA will not want a poor winner for their prized event so it will doubtless produce a good tournament, much as previous supposedly bizarre courses have done.

By the way, it looks visually stunning in in a beautiful area of Washington State about 40 miles from Seattle, I expect my mate Jack will be there. :duck: Ooops that's another unknown golfer. :D
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

In the latest of an irregular series, let me tell you about Rory McIlroy's coach, Michael Bannon.

Michael was a contemporary of mine in amatuer golf, about 4 years younger than me, and overall, about as successful in amatuer golf. No provincial titles, a few wins here and there on the scratch cup circuit.

Probably his highlight, before becoming a successful teacher, elevated by his star pupil, young McIlroy, was at Royal County Down, scene of his pupil's embarrassment recently.

RCD for it's entire history has been the most unwelcoming club in these islands. The members of Muirfield that august Society of Edinburgh Golfers for many years had a sign outside their pro shop saying "Visitors from other clubs welcome, except from Royal County Down". It was rumoured not to be not the only clu with such a sign. And so RCD came late to the regular venues where our best amateurs competed. We were not welcome in the clubhouse.

Anyway, that Sunday we faced RCD with a wind that would cut you in two, blowing straight into you on the first three holes. For those who know the course, the 2nd hole from the championship tee made the fairway a career best drive just to clear the bank at the shortest part.

People fell by the wayside wholesale, I had an 83 in the first round feeling I hadn't played badly. Many did not even bother going out to face the second 18 of the day. Michael Bannon won the event shooting 72, 72, total 2 over par and in my estimation the finest 36 holes I've ever heard of by an amateur player, RCD in a gale. I believe he won by something approaching 10 shots, the conditions were brutal.

So people, next time you hear of Rory McIlroy's coach and wonder can he just teach ..............he can play. :thumleft:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
It may not have been intended as such, but I'll take that as a compliment. The second best sports commentator of all time - I've heard them all by the way >EW - and only Richie Benaud was better than Peter. Cricket has had them in droves.

Incidentally, for those of consummate ignorance Peter Aliss was a greater golfer, his downfall being putting. He is the owner of the only personalised car number plate I have ever been able to tolerate, normally I consider it the sign of an utter dickhead.

Peter's is PUT 3.
Twas a bit of a compliment alright old top. I like Peter Aliss. His little anecdotes and his eccentricity are much nicer than listening to some of the tools who commentate these days.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:Tiger Woods 85 at the Memorial Tournament.
Best news I've heard in a while. While I normally don't take pleasure in other's pain for Woods I relax my rules because he is such a moody miserable pr1ck. Can't stand him and never could. Incredible golfer in his day of course but f-ck him. :lol:
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:In the latest of an irregular series, let me tell you about Rory McIlroy's coach, Michael Bannon.

Michael was a contemporary of mine in amatuer golf, about 4 years younger than me, and overall, about as successful in amatuer golf. No provincial titles, a few wins here and there on the scratch cup circuit.

Probably his highlight, before becoming a successful teacher, elevated by his star pupil, young McIlroy, was at Royal County Down, scene of his pupil's embarrassment recently.

RCD for it's entire history has been the most unwelcoming club in these islands. The members of Muirfield that august Society of Edinburgh Golfers for many years had a sign outside their pro shop saying "Visitors from other clubs welcome, except from Royal County Down". It was rumoured not to be not the only clu with such a sign. And so RCD came late to the regular venues where our best amateurs competed. We were not welcome in the clubhouse.

Anyway, that Sunday we faced RCD with a wind that would cut you in two, blowing straight into you on the first three holes. For those who know the course, the 2nd hole from the championship tee made the fairway a career best drive just to clear the bank at the shortest part.

People fell by the wayside wholesale, I had an 83 in the first round feeling I hadn't played badly. Many did not even bother going out to face the second 18 of the day. Michael Bannon won the event shooting 72, 72, total 2 over par and in my estimation the finest 36 holes I've ever heard of by an amateur player, RCD in a gale. I believe he won by something approaching 10 shots, the conditions were brutal.

So people, next time you hear of Rory McIlroy's coach and wonder can he just teach ..............he can play. :thumleft:
He should be able to teach Rory how to keep the ball down in the wind then. I was convinced Rory would struggle to win The Open because he hits the ball so high, but he managed to get 4 relatively windless days at Hoylake. If he gets calm weather at St Andrews (the scene of my best ever round of golf) he could be untouchable.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Met Michael Bannon at Bangor GC by pure coincidence one day - decent bloke based on the minute conversation we had while I was sprinting to the first tee having arrived very late. Still managed to shoot a 79, maybe some of his coaching rubbed off on me :lol:

Chambers' Bay is a remarkable course. I would love to play it someday, but I fear the course would win by a considerable margin.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Have to say I agree with that Snipe, Rory's game is tailor made for the US tour where they think 10mph winds are difficult. Give him a quiet breeze on a seaside course and he will wreck it. He shot 61 around Royal Portrush in the North of Ireland Championship qualifying as a nipper so he can play a links.

He may find St Andrews more to his liking than some, given you can use adjoining fairways to make it a bit wider than most.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:Met Michael Bannon at Bangor GC by pure coincidence one day - decent bloke based on the minute conversation we had while I was sprinting to the first tee having arrived very late. Still managed to shoot a 79, maybe some of his coaching rubbed off on me :lol:

Chambers' Bay is a remarkable course. I would love to play it someday, but I fear the course would win by a considerable margin.
Long time since I met him but he was always very even tempered & decent to all, some of us are a little more fiery, a bad bad thing on a golf course.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

St Andrews only defence now is the wind sadly