The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Golf

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:Hard to beat Ol' Tom Morris :thumright:
Certainly is Ruckie, I'm sure you haven't just plucked out a name and do realise that without Old Tom we would not have the great courses we have today. His design talent is at least as legendary as his golfing talent and he is responsible for some of the great courses. He was also the first greenkeeper to use sand to dress greens, the foundation for the quality modern green.

Many of his courses have been changedover the years but the only reason is the improved technologies & the need to protect courses from the vast distance changes which balls can be struck from the days when he designed or redesigned Prestwick, Muirfield, Lahinch, one of the St Andrews courses & even Rosapenna in Donegal, a delight to play for many reasons.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I'd argue one of his best designs was Machrihanish. I've got a book of best golf holes in the world and there's several from Machrihanish in it - the first hole has two pages dedicated to it and it was the links course that set the standard for links courses around the world. Certainly Ol' Tom is one of golf's greatest ever contributors.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:I'd argue one of his best designs was Machrihanish. I've got a book of best golf holes in the world and there's several from Machrihanish in it - the first hole has two pages dedicated to it and it was the links course that set the standard for links courses around the world. Certainly Ol' Tom is one of golf's greatest ever contributors.
I've never heard of it I must confess but I had a look & it looks a stiff par 70. The 11th hole is called Strabane :shock: & they have 5 reciprocal 50% green fees with 3 in NI & 2 in Donegal including our hero's Rosapenna.

Wee video just for you Ruckie. >EW http://www.machgolf.com/golfclubvideo.php
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

There is no greater privilege in the world of golf than to be announced onto the first tee in front of the R&A.

To walk in the footsteps of every great of the game who has ever been is some experience.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: C'mon now Shan.

Tiger is the best that's ever been. Seeing him struggle is tough to watch. At his best his game was incredible - and probably beyond what Rory's A+++ game is. Knowing what he's capable of doing, and then seeing him shoot 85, borders on painful to watch.
I don't find it painful. I enjoy watching him struggle. If Rory could putt better, and could be more consistent I'd say he could be better than Woods. Rory does still have the ability to make a complete árse of it and I'd say that is down to him not being as mentally tough as Woods was when in his prime. If he rises above that I'd say he could get near Woods' 14 majors, at least.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: When he plays, TV ratings shoot through the roof. He's still the biggest draw in golf - you could put Rory, Fowler and Spieth out a few holes behind him and Tiger would still get all the attention. There isn't a single person in golf - and in most sports - who is as "Box Office" as Tiger is.
Most of the most stupid shows on TV are also the most popular. The media can build hype around anything and the proles will go along for the ride. In most cases it just becomes robotic thereafter. Similar to Premiership Football. Almost every game is a form of torture to watch and yet they can convince millions to pay extra for the privilege. The master - slave relationship underpins almost our entire civilisation so hardly a surprise that it is easy to get folk to do what you want them to do if you have the right tools at your disposal.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yes Shan, he has been hyped beyond anything or anyone in golf, not without reason. Primarily his ability which is enormous for all my dislike of him. More than that he was a godsend to the old conservative crackers running golf in the USA, both the USGA & USPGA.

I'm not quite certain if the first black member of Augusta National came before or after Woods, though it still happened before they allowed a women in :roll: though of course the R & A St.Andrews only voted in women in this century.

I think he has got away with some things including not being disqualified at the masters for an improper drop, because he has been facilitated in every respect. He was also able in his earlier years to influence tee off times in majors so he could have the company of his friend Mark O'Meara.

MInd you like you I find it hard not to rejoice when he is rubbish, he deserves respect as a golfer despite his episodes of cheating & discourtesy to playing partners, his achievements are outstanding, pity he is one of the truly dislikeable sportsmen.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Yes Shan, he has been hyped beyond anything or anyone in golf, not without reason. Primarily his ability which is enormous for all my dislike of him. More than that he was a godsend to the old conservative crackers running golf in the USA, both the USGA & USPGA.
When he won his first Masters, he should have told the good ole boys to stick their ludicrous green jacket up their collective holes and vowed never to play that tournament again.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'm expecting a phenomenal week of golf from Chambers Bay the course looks set up for Rory and the hard fast conditions and light winds forecast will suit his high trajectory.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Looks like and interesting course, heard Rory on the radio today saying he likes the course. Looking forward to it.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

He's one of only a few who do. Ian Poulter has been very outspoken on how much he doesn't like the course, and there are several others who agree. Aesthetically it looks nice, but I'll reserve my judgement on the course itself until I see it being played.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

You could have been an all time great.......
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:You could have been an all time great.......
Do you ever wonder about that?

Most of us know that we could never have been a Premier League Wendyballer or an Olympic sprint champion but maybe could have been world class in one of the more obscure or elitist sports.

I've played 2 games of croquet in my life and won both (couple of posh mates at Uni who had croquet lawns :roll: ). Not much fame or glory in it, but still ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:He's one of only a few who do. Ian Poulter has been very outspoken on how much he doesn't like the course, and there are several others who agree. Aesthetically it looks nice, but I'll reserve my judgement on the course itself until I see it being played.
Ruckie, as a man of the world you should know better. Poulter is a clown, a guy who plays well in Ryder Cups and between times scratches around, occasionally playing well & hoping someone will take him seriously, so he tends to shoot his mouth off for attention, certainly his golf rarely warrants a second glance.

Furthermore we often have these tales of woe from players about new courses on the US Open rotation. I remember Sahalee, also in the Pacific North-West was supposed to be horrendous, yet there were the usual type of scores, consistent with US Open venues that are revered. Many years previously Kiawah Island was supposedly unplayable yet had a good winner & hosted a gripping Ryder Cup.

Time will tell but I expect business as usual, some struggles, some playing well.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:Still think it would be livened up as a game if there was a mystery sniper on certain holes where if you took more than 5 minutes you were a target.

Or maybe if they played a hole blind fold?

Or maybe if they all rounded upon the inevitable idiot who will shot "in the hole" at a tee shot from a long par 5 and made him run down the fairway and any player who hit him got a bonus?

I'm sure it can be livened up somehow. :lol:

Like ruck, I'll reserve my judgement on the course until I see how it plays and will remark how much better I could do it if only I'd ever played golf. :lol:

Is this the one with the green jacket? Or the one with the big jug? :duck:
Oh feck off Oncst, try talking about something you know about and leave gowf to us what knows of its intricacy, the occasional joys of achievement & the desolation of being trashed stupid by a game where a small orb smiles up at you & says, "No help here for you mate, it's you & me, let's see what you've got". The loneliest game in the world, no teammates no moving ball to react to, a dubious terrain with hazards waiting on almost every shot, 100% you and your ability - or lack of in most people's cases, fortunately I was blessed with a modicum of talent A game where not everybody but people of ability like yours truly can hit as good a shot as any pro who has ever lived, just not as consistently. A game requiring immense mental strength & concentration over 4 hours or so, one lapse and your card can be trashed.

A game where by the greatest invention in sport - the handicap system - allows people of all abilities to compete on a reasonably level playing field.

As a gentleman, I would have thought better of you, you should have the upmost respect for a game where you are largely your own referee, your behaviour in respect of the Rules is expected to be unimpeachable, and anyone who falls short of expected standards is ostracised, second chances a rarity & rightly so. >EW

I once played with a guy who I had observed cheating from a distance for a period of roughly six months, myself and a friend invited him to play with us one Saturday when we had a space & he was at a loose end. It was the last time he ever played at our club. Idiot couldn't help himself even when playing with quality. The sad thing was he was a very good golfer, just wanted to appear better than he was. :duh:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

What's wrong merv? Cat got yer tongue? Can't even finish sentences now?

Allow me!
big mervyn wrote:I've played 2 games of croquet in my life and won both (couple of posh mates at Uni who had croquet lawns :roll: ). Not much fame or glory in it, but still ... the potatoes ain't bad.
You have been helped.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right