Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Dave »

thecrouch wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:24 pm
bangorboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:40 pm I wonder what the going rate is for the likes or Curtis, Moxham and Sexton?

Are Ulster paying top dollar for squad filler and fringe players?
Read my earlier post … according to reports £100,000 for those top players not in IQ contracts of which we only have two sooner to be one probably non if the other goes overseas as muted .. they get much more.
£60-£70,000 for team player
£30,000 for fillers
Up to £10,000 for Academy player
Top earner £600,000 for Vermulean albeit a large part of his wage is apparently for a third party .. how does that work.
So an academy player earns up to £10k, I'm guessing from the age of 18? For that amount needless to say they need a proper job, so aren't working full time on their potential rugby career. For forwards it is said that it usually takes a few years until they are physically ready for first team rugby. My question is why do we not pay academy people a proper salary from 18 so they can train full time and be prepared for playing at a younger age?
Remember that most academy players are students. They get a low salary from rugby, but they also get a lot of expenses paid. They get helped out with their food and their housing. They'll still have a far better lifestyle than any of their mates working weekends stacking shelves.

The way the system works is the IRFU pay every single player, even the non internationals. All players are put into buckets, test players, fringe test players, senior provincial players, squad players and then development etc. Each bucket has a salary band that the IRFU are willing to pay.

The IRFU might decide that they will pay senior provincial players a max of €120k a year. If someone like Luke Marshall is on €150k a year, then the IRFU will send Ulster a bill for €30k at the end of the season which Ulster need to pay from their own pocket.

Ulster don't have total control over the salary structure. The Leinster / Munster / Connacht academy will pay similar salaries for their players.
Sounds like communism.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:15 pm
thecrouch wrote:
bangorboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:40 pm I wonder what the going rate is for the likes or Curtis, Moxham and Sexton?

Read my earlier post … according to reports £100,000 for those top players not in IQ contracts of which we only have two sooner to be one probably non if the other goes overseas as muted .. they get much more.
£30,000 for fillers
Top earner £600,000 for Vermulean albeit a large part of his wage is apparently for a third party .. how does that work.
So an academy player earns up to £10k, I'm guessing from the age of 18? For that amount needless to say they need a proper job, so aren't working full time on their potential rugby career. For forwards it is said that it usually takes a few years until they are physically ready for first team rugby. My question is why do we not pay academy people a proper salary from 18 so they can train full time and be prepared for playing at a younger age?
Remember that most academy players are students. They get a low salary from rugby, but they also get a lot of expenses paid. They get helped out with their food and their housing. They'll still have a far better lifestyle than any of their mates working weekends stacking shelves.

The way the system works is the IRFU pay every single player, even the non internationals. All players are put into buckets, test players, fringe test players, senior provincial players, squad players and then development etc. Each bucket has a salary band that the IRFU are willing to pay.

The IRFU might decide that they will pay senior provincial players a max of €120k a year. If someone like Luke Marshall is on €150k a year, then the IRFU will send Ulster a bill for €30k at the end of the season which Ulster need to pay from their own pocket.

Ulster don't have total control over the salary structure. The Leinster / Munster / Connacht academy will pay similar salaries for their players.
Sounds like communism.
Did read in the past that the provinces can't outbid each other for a player etc. Was mentioned I think when Connacht got Aki and Munster were interested.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

As I understand it, if one province offers another province's player a contract, the province he's with has to be given the opportunity to match the offer. The story I was told, can't vouch for its accuracy, is that Jude Postlethwaite was upgraded from the academy to a development contract a year earlier than planned because one of the other provinces was offering him a development contract.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

thecrouch wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:36 pm

£30,000 for fillers

Thanks Crouch, was not aware Dublin had so much control on salaries. Conclusion to me is what is the point in having Petrie and Bryn, the more control Dublin have the less need for two decision makers at their level at Belfast branch
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Lurgan Lad wrote:

£30,000 for fillers

Thanks Crouch, was not aware Dublin had so much control on salaries. Conclusion to me is what is the point in having Petrie and Bryn, the more control Dublin have the less need for two decision makers at their level at Belfast branch
Very good question Image
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The less Petrie does the better. Social media especially.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Columbo wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:11 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote:

£30,000 for fillers

Very good question Image
This is just an observation/question as I don’t give a f^ck about the IRFU or the Ireland team, but if the IRFU is a business, wouldn’t it make financial sense to make the four provinces as successful as possible?
As was posted elsewhere, there was an accusation of the IRFU rejoicing in Ulsters woes. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:51 pm So an academy player earns up to £10k, I'm guessing from the age of 18? For that amount needless to say they need a proper job, so aren't working full time on their potential rugby career. For forwards it is said that it usually takes a few years until they are physically ready for first team rugby. My question is why do we not pay academy people a proper salary from 18 so they can train full time and be prepared for playing at a younger age?

Very good question Image
This is just an observation/question as I don’t give a f^ck about the IRFU or the Ireland team, but if the IRFU is a business, wouldn’t it make financial sense to make the four provinces as successful as possible?
As was posted elsewhere, there was an accusation of the IRFU rejoicing in Ulsters woes. Doesn’t really make a lot of sense.
They are not very clever, mate. I have never met an intelligent bigot.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:09 pm
StandUp wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:

Very good question Image
They are not very clever, mate. I have never met an intelligent bigot.
Are they though? Or is it just our siege mentality?
I genuinely don’t know enough about this, which is why I’m asking.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

StandUp wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote:

Very good question Image
The IRFU, like all unions, make their money through test rugby.

The provinces only exist to provide players for Ireland. Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht are a cost-of-goods-sold.

The IRFU obviously don't rejoice in our woes but so long as Leinster are providing an Ireland team that makes a ton of money the IRFU have no motivation to change anything.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Where do we stand on Reffell?

Think his tackle count is 53 3 in 167 minutes.

A hammy or two and ruptured ankle ligaments don’t shout congenital defects to me.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:34 am Where do we stand on Reffell?

A hammy or two and ruptured ankle ligaments don’t shout congenital defects to me.
Probably worth another deal.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Where do we stand on Reffell?

Don't stand on his congenitals, anyway.

Seriously, he could be a real asset but boy do Ulster pick em, injury wise.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

StandUp wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 pm [

This is total bilge. There's no way irfu rejoice in the suffering of any province. If irfu could have their dream scenario all provinces would be 1-4 in the urc and competing v each other for the heineken. Leinster are the favourite child and rightly so. Wealthy parents fund their kids through academy style training from early teens to feed into the leinster system. That costs irfu nothing and provides a cracking crop of players every year. Leinsters success isn't (all) irfu favoritism. It's mostly just wealthy fans paying for their kids to get coached like mad. None of that means irfu hate the other provinces. Look how much they sank into munster ffs.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

allezlesverres wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:40 am
StandUp wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 pm [

This is total bilge. There's no way irfu rejoice in the suffering of any province. If irfu could have their dream scenario all provinces would be 1-4 in the urc and competing v each other for the heineken. Leinster are the favourite child and rightly so. Wealthy parents fund their kids through academy style training from early teens to feed into the leinster system. That costs irfu nothing and provides a cracking crop of players every year. Leinsters success isn't (all) irfu favoritism. It's mostly just wealthy fans paying for their kids to get coached like mad. None of that means irfu hate the other provinces. Look how much they sank into munster ffs.
Also add that Leinster are also producing outliers to the fee paying schools to the national team. Since Henderson was capped over a decade now we have produced zero homegrown forwards to the international stage. The worst performing province in that respect.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18