The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Golf

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:You could have been an all time great.......
Do you ever wonder about that?

Most of us know that we could never have been a Premier League Wendyballer or an Olympic sprint champion but maybe could have been world class in one of the more obscure or elitist sports.

I've played 2 games of croquet in my life and won both (couple of posh mates at Uni who had croquet lawns :roll: ). Not much fame or glory in it, but still ...
My brother firmly believed he could have been an international bowler - no not cricket, he was a decent level batsman. He used to go to the JimBaker Stadium for short while & reckoned a few months & he would have been a legend.

Most of us have a propensity for being decent at lots of sports & masters of none Merv. In my school days I represented them at Football, Rugby, Cross Country, Athletics, Basketball, Chess, Golf, possibly some I don't remember. Decent at most, good to very good at golf but nothing really outstanding .I reckon folk only believe that in their wildest dreams.

Frankly had I not a love of :stout: as a young man, I had all the tools of a decent golfer, briefly flaunted with the notion of turning pro but realised that my total disregard for the practice of practicing would make me nothing more than a failed attempt at a pro. Instead I dedicated ............ok, didn't remotely dedicate myself, to being a financial genius, there again, my interest in it wasn't quite what it might have been. >EW :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, it funded a certain degree of hedonism over 30 years, 25 years almost worthwhile until about 20 years ago the organisation lost any sense of ethics & turned into the rapacious cathedral of selfish wideboys that brought about the financial crash.............. no, it wasn't the Labour Party, it was absolutely the banks and the short term gains culture prompted by the evil bonus culture.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Oh feck off Oncst, try talking about something you know about and leave gowf to us what knows of its intricacy, the occasional joys of achievement & the desolation of being trashed stupid by a game where a small orb smiles up at you & says, "No help here for you mate, it's you & me, let's see what you've got". The loneliest game in the world, no teammates no moving ball to react to, ...
Just shows what you know - every time I watch this game, I see lots of guys react to their ball moving uncontrollably into water, out of bounds, among the trees etc .... :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

On Ian Poulter, generally someone who dresses as a clown is indeed a clown.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Most of the guys I have heard comment approve of the course. There are a large number of golfers who the course will not suit. The medium length hitters (like Poulter) and the low ball flight brigade who will not be able to control their distance on the raised, hard greens unless they can generate a phenomenal level of spin, which is difficult with a modern ball. These are typically the guys who do not like the course. Anyone who can hit a big high fade will be a threat. Bubba Watson, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson could all be contenders. despite his length, Henrik Stenson hits the ball too low. The great man loves the course and if it's good enough for Jack, it's good enough.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Phil doing rather well so far. -3 thru 8 searching for that elusive final major. One of the real good guys on tour, would not begrudge him the win one bit.

Scoring decent so far.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Most of the guys I have heard comment approve of the course. There are a large number of golfers who the course will not suit. The medium length hitters (like Poulter) and the low ball flight brigade who will not be able to control their distance on the raised, hard greens unless they can generate a phenomenal level of spin, which is difficult with a modern ball. These are typically the guys who do not like the course. Anyone who can hit a big high fade will be a threat. Bubba Watson, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson could all be contenders. despite his length, Henrik Stenson hits the ball too low. The great man loves the course and if it's good enough for Jack, it's good enough.
You can't be serious Snipe, I can make a Titleist ProV1 sit down like an oul' dog in front of the fire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for your last sentence, amen to that. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Most of the guys I have heard comment approve of the course. There are a large number of golfers who the course will not suit. The medium length hitters (like Poulter) and the low ball flight brigade who will not be able to control their distance on the raised, hard greens unless they can generate a phenomenal level of spin, which is difficult with a modern ball. These are typically the guys who do not like the course. Anyone who can hit a big high fade will be a threat. Bubba Watson, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson could all be contenders. despite his length, Henrik Stenson hits the ball too low. The great man loves the course and if it's good enough for Jack, it's good enough.
You can't be serious Snipe, I can make a Titleist ProV1 sit down like an oul' dog in front of the fire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for your last sentence, amen to that. :thumleft:
I always thought the old balata balls were better for hitting high with spin. Not that I ever played with them.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:I always thought the old balata balls were better for hitting high with spin.
Old Sepp Balata talked a load of balls but his spin don't work no more!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:Phil doing rather well so far. -3 thru 8 searching for that elusive final major. One of the real good guys on tour, would not begrudge him the win one bit.

Scoring decent so far.
I would have agreed with that 100% right up to the last Ryder Cup when he took a cheap shot at the legendary golfer and legendary gentleman Tom Watson. It did make me wonder, but having said that, which of us has not had an indiscretion or two?

Not that it was ever in question, but the great man was of course correct. Chambers Bay is a magnificent track. Asking questions and making the players think more than is usually required on their generic target golf courses.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rory's putting isn't a jot better than it was at County Down.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Rory's putting isn't a jot better than it was at County Down.
Yeah, playing ok, giving himself chances but can't buy a putt.

Balatas were quality Snipe but catch one a little thin - not a full rib - and you were into your bag for a new ball. They cut very easily so an expensive pastime. When I had my first set of square groved clubs you could hit a balata out of the middle and see 3 small cut lines on the ball, just stripped the paint off a little.

The newer "soft" balls are more durable, I've had ProV1s that I've played a few rounds with & had a practice bag full of slightly grazed ones. TaylorMade had a lovely soft ball, can't remember the name but they had an orange swirl on them, they stopped even quicker but didn't travel as far as the ProV. I used to use the TaylorMades on really hard ground mind you that was a long time back.

Not keen on the mottled greens, makes it difficult to see the slopes, still, as usual tales of it being Micky Mouse were nonsense.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Tiger 2 over after 3. Wonder what "injury" or tragedy will have inflicted him this time to make it another heroic round. Hopefully a few more bogeys and he'll just give up tomorrow....
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Glad tidings from Washington State, Hacker Woods starts with 80, the only downside being that he dragged down Fowler to 81.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

i really wish one of the tv experts would just come out and say that he may never win another tournament let alone add to his major tally and that when he hits the (very) odd good brad pitt these days, it is not necessarily a sign of the "old tige back on the prowl." He shot 10 pver last night but during the round i still heard shots being described as "sensational" , a stroke of genuis and only tiger could have played that....all in a positive way!

He's turning 40 this year and winning more majors isn't gonna start getting any easier....

Does golf really need him, as the pundits say? Tennis could do with john mcenroe and jimmy connors to push djokovic and murray, but nobody is calling for them to return....
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Fowler will be fine, just a bad day at the office. I like Rickie he seems to have a good attitude and represents himself well.