Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Cricket season

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:... and a Brearley.
I recall my total amazement and anger when that old codger was brought in who could neither bowl nor bat was brought in to replace the god as captain. At that age I didn't understand the importance of guile and leadership. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A lot of people forget, like I did, about the role Brearley played in that series.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Well fair play to england. 3 very convincing wins which you couldn't argue about. I expected the aussies to win the series around 3-1 before it started. Thought the lack of Jimmy at Trent Bridge would expose england's bowling as bar Briad, they are all still learning at test level (i was dubious if Finn could sustain his heroics). Stokes bowled superbly yesterday. England got some reasonable but not exceptional scores. Root was their class act with the bat and having Moeen down at 8 contributing regularly was a big help. Their bowlers won it for them though, along with setting clever traps which the aussie batsmen ran headfirst into.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Poor batting from both sides during this series.

You would not guess the result from the series averages, largely due to the Lords distortion. Root is the only English player averaging over 40 (compared with 3 Aussies). What a class act he is - a few key wickets and superb fielding to add to a stack of runs. Moeen was the only other standout bat for England - signs that he could cement his place on batting alone.

Felt sorry for Clarke who is a thoroughly decent chap. Cricket captaincy, like politics, invariably ends in failure. Hopefully, down the line, he'll be remembered for regaining the Ashes in Australia and the World Cup win.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... and not quite a dead rubber at the Oval. If England win they will replace Aus as the No. 2 ranked test side. Should be a bit of incentive for both sides.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out with a lot of the pressure removed. Might even get 5 days of cricket this time.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Felt sorry for Clarke who is a thoroughly decent chap. Cricket captaincy, like politics, invariably ends in failure. Hopefully, down the line, he'll be remembered for regaining the Ashes in Australia and the World Cup win.
He will also be remembered as the captain at the time of Philip Hughes tragedy .... an event that I think probably affected his performances after and just as much brought about his downfall.

As you said, a thoroughly decent chap and also a very good cricketer. I too hope history is kind to him.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: He will also be remembered as the captain at the time of Philip Hughes tragedy .... an event that I think probably affected his performances after and just as much brought about his downfall.
I doubt if that is the case. The event was terrible and on his watch, but I fail to see how it adversely impacted on his play almost two years later.
I think this Aussie team simply reached the end of the road.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: He will also be remembered as the captain at the time of Philip Hughes tragedy .... an event that I think probably affected his performances after and just as much brought about his downfall.
I doubt if that is the case. The event was terrible and on his watch, but I fail to see how it adversely impacted on his play almost two years later.
I think this Aussie team simply reached the end of the road.
You are correct in your last sentence, but Hughes' death was less than 9 months ago, not 2 years ago.
I'm not convinced Clarke has fully got over it and his slump in form has been in this period in time. Coincidence? Possibly, but I suspect that Phil's death has at least in part been to blame.
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I thought it was 2013, but you're quite right, it was last year.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Have been to a couple of days and saw 25 wickets.

It's been a crazy series and England's batting stats do not look like they belong to a team that's 3-1 up!

I managed not to disgrace myself yesterday playing in the same side as two lads who played in this year's Big Bash - glad they were on our team !
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

There have been some interesting analyses and one significant factor seems to be that the IPL and other similar tournaments are preventing the top players from playing first class cricket outside their own countries, leading to a much heavier skewing of results in favour of the home team. Only 1 out of the last 8 Ashes series has been won by the away side.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Once a Knight wrote:
big mervyn wrote:There have been some interesting analyses and one significant factor seems to be that the IPL and other similar tournaments are preventing the top players from playing first class cricket outside their own countries, leading to a much heavier skewing of results in favour of the home team. Only 1 out of the last 8 Ashes series has been won by the away side.
Lehman did an interview a few years back bemoaning the shortened form of the game as depriving top players of the experience of batting for a day and a half. The mental toughness and concentration to survive and adapt to different conditions has declined - he says. He's probably right.
I believe Geoffrey said that first ........ and according to him, he's ALWAYS right! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
big mervyn wrote:There have been some interesting analyses and one significant factor seems to be that the IPL and other similar tournaments are preventing the top players from playing first class cricket outside their own countries, leading to a much heavier skewing of results in favour of the home team. Only 1 out of the last 8 Ashes series has been won by the away side.
Lehman did an interview a few years back bemoaning the shortened form of the game as depriving top players of the experience of batting for a day and a half. The mental toughness and concentration to survive and adapt to different conditions has declined - he says. He's probably right.
I believe Geoffrey said that first ........ and according to him, he's ALWAYS right! :lol:
Joe Root has it.

So does Cook, although the burdens of captaincy have affected his scoring.

Not too many test captains have been able to maintain their batting. Most of the successful ones have ended up batting at 5 or 6.
Big Neville Southall
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

"Not too many test captains have been able to maintain their batting. Most of the successful ones have ended up batting at 5 or 6"

Apart from Cook's predecessor, Strauss...and before him, Vaughan...and before that Hussein...and Atherton...and Gooch. :D
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Gary wrote:"Not too many test captains have been able to maintain their batting. Most of the successful ones have ended up batting at 5 or 6"

Apart from Cook's predecessor, Strauss...and before him, Vaughan...and before that Hussein...and Atherton...and Gooch. :D
He said "successful" captains, not "England" captains! >EW

(I suspect Big Merv would consider Australian captains to be successful captains ....... usually - and Clarke has been a successful captain) :D
I'm not arguing -
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Cap'n, he said that not too many test captains have been able to maintain their batting. Just pointing out that England's last 6 captains have similar or better batting records during their time in charge as they had before.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians