Just asking .... is it just me ....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Just asking .... is it just me ....

Post by BaggyTrousers »

davejohnston wrote:I actually enjoy it.

The problem with watching Ulster/Ireland is while I watch every match, I sometimes don't enjoy it till it's over.
On the other hand, from a NH point of view I'll support the Lions, but I don't have the same level of interest/commitment, so I can happy spend a few hours on Saturday morning watching familiar names play a international level game without being overly bothered my the result either way.

I suppose I could just watch the IRB sevens that's always on sky, but I tend to find it a bit boring (strangely enough - seeing as it's meant to be more entertaining) maybe you just need to get hammered and where a silly hat.
Its not strange Dave, its just not proper rugby.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Must say In some ways as a player the 7s was a better game if you were fit and like passing the ball about.

Because the game is 10 minutes each half ( any longer on a full sized pitch would kill you ) the problem for the spectator is the game is so fast it is over before you have a chance to get to know the players and understand the tactics of the team.

A player in sevens could be running the equivalent of 4 X 100 sprints in 10 mins

I think it could do with an additional two forwards. i.e. 5 forwards 4 backs an ideal number for under 15 s 15 mins each half.

It would teach players to pass and look for players in space rather than the "give me the ball and I run till am tackled" stuff that you see at half time .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
davejohnston wrote:I actually enjoy it.

The problem with watching Ulster/Ireland is while I watch every match, I sometimes don't enjoy it till it's over.
On the other hand, from a NH point of view I'll support the Lions, but I don't have the same level of interest/commitment, so I can happy spend a few hours on Saturday morning watching familiar names play a international level game without being overly bothered my the result either way.

I suppose I could just watch the IRB sevens that's always on sky, but I tend to find it a bit boring (strangely enough - seeing as it's meant to be more entertaining) maybe you just need to get hammered and where a silly hat.
Its not strange Dave, its just not proper rugby.
Hear Hear Baggy. Boring as feck to watch but fun to play.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

jackthelad wrote:
Used to be an enjoyable end of season diversion, especially for anyone who played on the wing in the 70s/80s and frequently had to make an appointment to see the ball.

You never got anything like the same satisfaction from scoring or winning though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

big mervyn wrote:
jackthelad wrote:
Used to be an enjoyable end of season diversion, especially for anyone who played on the wing in the 70s/80s and frequently had to make an appointment to see the ball.

You never got anything like the same satisfaction from scoring or winning though.
Galway 7s was a great event --- from what I remember. Played twice in the Roehampton 7s back in the dark ages and the trip was great fun. Carrick &s is becoming quite an event.

BTW Carrick RFC has a great restaurant. Worth a visit.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.