Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Post by Wee Woman »

Jackie Brown wrote:I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

A worry of mine is JP qualifies for Ireland, Schmitt won't drop Rob 'Turnstile' Kearney and we see JP shoehorned into 13, permanently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Kearney's a busted flush IMO.

There I said it, standing by ;)
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Wee Woman wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I would actually prefer to see him at 10 or 13. I think he'd be wasted at 15. Plus what is everyone's fascination with moving one of our best ever fullbacks to 13???

A worry of mine is JP qualifies for Ireland, Schmitt won't drop Rob 'Turnstile' Kearney and we see JP shoehorned into 13, permanently.

I've been saying he is over hyped for years, great at a one on one taking a high ball, the rest of his play is average and way behind the likes of Payne.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Rooster wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:

I've been saying he is over hyped for years, great at a one on one taking a high ball, the rest of his play is average and way behind the likes of Payne.
It was hard not hype him as there really wasn't anyone else, like you say Rooster he has shown him self to be good under a high ball with a bit of pace, but Payne offers something very different at 15, I really hope he gets a good chance in the green jersey - very exciting prospect indeed.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Kearney is a better full back than over hyped part of his problem is that he is injury prone and over the last few seasons has lost some pace and confidence. But he's a far better full back than Dempsey ever was.

Personally ,I think Payne has the ability to play full back at Ulster and Centre for Ireland without having to play centre week in and week out. That he would be considered for the Irish 13 shirt before Cave is the shame, but outside of Ulster few appreciate Cave's ability, and there are some on this message board don't either.

Within the last month there have been suggestions of Farrell Marshall {l} Olding and Payne at 13 exactly why is the question ?

I can think of no good reason other than to indulge fantasies .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
mike
Novice

Post by mike »

rumncoke wrote:Kearney is a better full back than over hyped part of his problem is that he is injury prone and over the last few seasons has lost some pace and confidence. But he's a far better full back than Dempsey ever was.

Personally ,I think Payne has the ability to play full back at Ulster and Centre for Ireland without having to play centre week in and week out. That he would be considered for the Irish 13 shirt before Cave is the shame, but outside of Ulster few appreciate Cave's ability, and there are some on this message board don't either.

Within the last month there have been suggestions of Farrell Marshall {l} Olding and Payne at 13 exactly why is the question ?

4 years ago, Kearney was one of the best 15's in world rugby but then he seemed to lose his confidence. it was weird-everytime he had a great chance to counter-attack, he just kicked-and then he just kept on kicking and kicking and lost his raison d'etre.(is that right?)
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

lovesthehardground wrote: Other negatives would be the posters on this forum who seem to attack one player while arguing for the inclusion of another. All of a sudden Luke is crap and Olding is miles better, or Diack is a poor man's version of Henderson...................... Can we not just recognise that each player can have different skill sets and over a course of a season we will need them all to step up and play. This despite them receiving their weekly slating on here from our non-playing (or ever played!!!) experts.
I have of course have been involved in discussion on Olding/Marshall & on Robbie Diack, so if that is directed towards me I'll say this.

I have not suddenly said Luke is crap & Olding is miles better, neither to my knowledge has anyone else. Certainly I have said for many months that Olding has greater all round skills than Luke. I believe Olding will prove to be exceptional. Further I have said that Luke has a couple of weaknesses as I see it, iffy hands & dubious passing, however I have never ever said Luke is CRAP, I admire much in his game & we are lucky to have him.

I have the opinion you describe of Robbie Diack, the very poor man's Hendo. I wouldn't have Robbie at 6 in our HC team. Forgetting Stevie, as we all need to get used to, Hendo first & for me Roger thereafter. Robbie has a useful role to play, he is excellent at starring against lesser teams and certainly he is now a useful squad member, a hell of a change from 2 years ago when he made Fat Declan the Choclatier look class.

Hope this helps.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:

Kearney is not a dummy, where he is weak is decision making, when I think back to the Ginger Prince's Ireland performance at Murrayfield where he kicked poorly from the tee & played bloody well, including slipping Marshall Marshall through two gaps Kearney luckily escaped righteous criticism which the D4 press ascribed as a game losing moment and blamed GP for missing a kick to touch.

Scotland slammed the ball long to Kearney, and here is where Kearney's major weakness surfaced. He had no pressure on but dithered and waited as a spread out Scotland team advanced. Then as he often does he tried to bull through a couple of guys & from memory was taken down by a prop & 2nd row & coughed up a penalty. Scotland kick it & the evil Dublin barstewards heaped opprobrium on GP, not Kearney who is a poor decision maker, the real culprit. Easier to blame a Nordie & a Ginger to boot.

Now that's a long way of pointing out where Kearney's major weakness lies & it just happens to be a massive strength of Jared. Then again Kearney is a very brave lad and throws himself in harms way.

For those who propose Jared as a 13, I'm not sure I've ever seen him make a head on tackle. Can anyone enlighten/remind me? It is a crucial asset for a 13 especially when facing the likes of Tigers who will attack up the middle and our centres need to be able to hit. At 15 there is often greater opportunity to force a runner to take a line that allows a side on tackle, which unless I am very wrong is Jared's preferred method. That boys & girls is why Cave should play 13 on Friday.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cave. Best 13 on the island at present.
mike
Novice

Post by mike »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:

Kearney is not a dummy, where he is weak is decision making, when I think back to the Ginger Prince's Ireland performance at Murrayfield where he kicked poorly from the tee & played bloody well, including slipping Marshall Marshall through two gaps Kearney luckily escaped righteous criticism which the D4 press ascribed as a game losing moment and blamed GP for missing a kick to touch.

Scotland slammed the ball long to Kearney, and here is where Kearney's major weakness surfaced. He had no pressure on but dithered and waited as a spread out Scotland team advanced. Then as he often does he tried to bull through a couple of guys & from memory was taken down by a prop & 2nd row & coughed up a penalty. Scotland kick it & the evil Dublin barstewards heaped opprobrium on GP, not Kearney who is a poor decision maker, the real culprit. Easier to blame a Nordie & a Ginger to boot.

Now that's a long way of pointing out where Kearney's major weakness lies & it just happens to be a massive strength of Jared. Then again Kearney is a very brave lad and throws himself in harms way.

For those who propose Jared as a 13, I'm not sure I've ever seen him make a head on tackle. Can anyone enlighten/remind me? It is a crucial asset for a 13 especially when facing the likes of Tigers who will attack up the middle and our centres need to be able to hit. At 15 there is often greater opportunity to force a runner to take a line that allows a side on tackle, which unless I am very wrong is Jared's preferred method. That boys & girls is why Cave should play 13 on Friday.

it's clearly a confidence issue. i'd love to see him counter-attacking but the guy has lost his mojo.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mike wrote: it's clearly a confidence issue. i'd love to see him counter-attacking but the guy has lost his mojo.
Bullshit. I take it you didn't see him cut through 6 or 8 Munster players last night at Thomond Park? :roll:

Didn't appear to lack confidence to me. Nothing to do with confidence, it's his lesser ability as a decision maker that makes him less than stellar.
mike
Novice

Post by mike »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
mike wrote: it's clearly a confidence issue. i'd love to see him counter-attacking but the guy has lost his mojo.
Bullshit. I take it you didn't see him cut through 6 or 8 Munster players last night at Thomond Park? :roll:

Didn't appear to lack confidence to me. Nothing to do with confidence, it's his lesser ability as a decision maker that makes him less than stellar.

i'm not talking about interpro rugby, kearney has been poor for years now.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mike wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

i'm not talking about interpro rugby, kearney has been poor for years now.
Yada yada yada, not sure if you know what you are talking about Mike, how are the rest of us to know? And use capitals. :duh:
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

rumncoke wrote:Kearney is a better full back than over hyped part of his problem is that he is injury prone and over the last few seasons has lost some pace and confidence. But he's a far better full back than Dempsey ever was.

Because for all his ability, he lacks the top end qualities of athleticism that make up the majority of most outstanding 13s, so people look around for alternatives, and see young backs with freak factor level potential and get overexcited. That and his form dipped last season, or imo at least.

Personally, much as I like Cave as a player, I'd love it if someone dethroned him - if someone like Farrell or Olding could match him in defence and organisation and bring a superior attacking edge, that'd be amazing. The idea it'll happen this season is a little optimistic to say the least...